Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I suggest you moderate the overreaction there Podge_irl. You're clearly getting a little too emotional.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

ha, bit over the top yeah. But it was an absolute coach-killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,695 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

An absolute brainfart it was. Can’t make the tackle force them to put it down as wide out as possible. He did neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

That was shocking but in fairness he's the first player I've ever seen make two identical leaping intercepts even though Sharks had penalty advantage on both occasions. I thought it was fairly impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I think I’d go something like this next weekend:

Buckley DTM Bealham N Murray Joyce SHL Oliver Prendergast Blade Carty kilgallen Forde Farrell Porch Toh

Heff Dooley DRM D Murray Jansen Reilly JJ Ralston

Youd have Aungier Butler and hopefully Bundee and Mack coming in fresh vs Leinster then

• Advertisement

I wonder if rotation is what it really is made out to be in terms of criticality. Rugby is a physical game and you will always have injuries which will allow players to rest and return and allow opportunities for fringe players in the meantime.

If you think back to Muldoon, he played pretty much every game. Compare that to TOH who has been at Connacht probably as long as Muldoon at this stage. But his stats show something like 225 vs 350 played by Muldoon.

So playing week in, week out doesn't seem to be the issue. And to be honest Reilly is lightly played and really looks sharp. And then JJ has had a bit of time out after his fall vs Glasgow so he should be fit and ready.

So I guess the question is, why would you not play your form players if they are fit and healthy? Why would you pick Blade over O'Reilly? And why would you pick Jack over JJ? Both of these form players are perfectly fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Anyone going to the Saracens game in StoneX?

where do the Connacht fans usually congregate

looking to make the trip.......I was at the last connact saracens game back in 2015?? total disaster.

hoping for redemption

if I remember correctly was that 11 trys scored against us. had hoped for a french team in our group as definitely would have gone but England isn't really that interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

#Only that the kicker was having an off day they would have conceded more than 100 points. An utterly depressing place, but still a good way to see play.......Bordeaux bengals no in the group too?

Blades in better form than Reilly and JJ has just come back from injury. I’d rather have JJ ready for Leinster at home and the European matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭testtech05

Mentioned on the radio earlier that Bealham might be a doubt for the weekend.

Saw him on a social media post from Connacht aswell wearing a moon boot

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Carty doesn't deserve a spot currently.

I'd start Hawkshaw at 10 if we want to rest JJ

Hawkshaw was on media duty too, assume forde will be out too after the couple of knocks last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

The altitude of Pretoria is about 1300 metre, so air is very thin for Irish. And current temperature is 34°c. Maybe same or a liitle lower temperature at Saturday I think that players and ref need the water-break frequently than usually (evry 6=7minutes).In addition it's too dry there for any sports at the outd. Connacht must avoid trubles (sick or injury) caused by them. They must to prepare very big amount of ice for avoiding the heat stroke. The first is player's helth.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Losing Finlay would be a severe blow to our chances against the Bulls but he's very robust in general and these things are going to happen. That would leave us with DRMc and Sam Illo at TH, a tough ask, but the former has been playing better of late and these are the types of challenges Illo needs, so have at it.

The Bulls have selection issues of their own: Marcel Coetzee got a red against Edinburgh and will have his disciplinary hearing in the coming days. Their hooker, Grobbelaar, was injured and the 10, Goosen, went off with a HIA. Don't know what the schedule is for the reintegration of Arendse, Le Roux and Moodie or if they'll be available this weekend.

As regards our selection, I'd stick with JJ at 10 and put Hawkshaw on at 12 if Forde is unavailable. Would be good to see Kilgallen in although Ralston has been good.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

Connacht will presumably have both Gavin Thornbury and Paul Boyle back available by the time they return from SA. Thornbury has started (and played well apparently) for Blackrock the past few weeks in the AIL, and Boyle started at 8 for Buccs last weekend in a win against Old Wesley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Seen finlay on the training pitch on the connacht instagram. No boot on so looks good.

It's a strange setup where you don't play all the teams in your group. But I did check and we are playing Lyon in Lyon on January 13th. And we were planning to go to Lisbon in January so why not Lyon. Hmmm. Never been to Lyon. Anyone have any impressions of Lyon and surrounding areas. We would be looking at a 5 day holiday so it would be nice to get to see a couple of places while there. Also how to buy tickets for the match and what area of the stadium so we are with the Connacht fans. Thanks for making me check Cuculainn. This looks like a plan

Lyon is a beautiful and has excellent food. January isn't the ideal time to visit but it is a gateway to Burgundy and much of the best wine country in France. Lisbon in winter is sunny but not warm, 15 degrees around midday in early January IIRC, and cold in the wee hours. Accommodation can be on the chilly side during the winter because homes were not designed to optimise for warmth as the weather is so nice for most of the year.

Connacht probably have an allocation and a direct link to the ticket office, that may have gone out to the Clan? Someone may be able to provide you with the link. Otherwise you can just buy tickets directly from Lyon Olympique here:

https://billetterie.lourugby.fr/fr/product/102/matmut_stadium_/match_lou_rugby_connacht_rugby

• Advertisement

https://billetterie.lourugby.fr/fr/product/102/matmut_stadium_/match_lou_rugby_connacht_rugby

Thanks a million Zeugnis. Change of plan. Lyon it is

can you recommend in which part of the stadium and how to work thru the menu system on the Lyon website

Ok. It seems you must register on the Lyon website before you can buy tickets. So since the Connacht Clan recommended SERFIM Block E managed to get a couple of seats in Row P within Block E.

There was mention of The Shamrock as a watering hole on the Friday night by the Clan but I tend to steer clear of Irish pubs when abroad. Been there way too many times. So the Clan did suggest the Boston Tavern and that's the plan. Thanks for the advice from all.

Very good, I just heard back from some Clan folks as well regarding seating arrangements, so you're in the right place.

I see Kyle Godwin is still playing for Lyon and started four out of seven in the T14 this season, off the bench in another two. He was a good player for us. On a less positive note, Paddy Jackson has been starting a lot for them at 10.

Wow Kyle Godwin feels so long ago. Very talented. Can't remember exactly why he left. Was it the brutal axe that many rugby players fear or was it by choice? I just can't remember. Showing my age😀.

As for Paddy Jackson, well I am a bit older. Have a young daughter his age. And they make mistakes. I am not trying to justify Paddy Jackson's actions. But I will say that being a kid is very much different to being an adult

Interesting that Caolin is getting the public attention so it's clear he will start. He would drive you bonkers with slow delivery and constant, constant, constant claims for penalties before it all gets turned on its backside. As such I prefer Reilly who simply plays rugby without the shite

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

It was well documented at the time Kyle wanted to stay but wasn’t offered a contract.

He was a class act to be fair.

Is colby fainga'a still with lyon too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Think Colby is in Japan now

• Advertisement

Advertisement