Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Again with the 'condemn Hamas' BS. Why is it that that is something everyone who is appalled at Israels actions has to declare before being allowed to have an opinion? Do you condemn Israel?

This conflict has taken off the veil of Zionism and how it exploits the suffering of its own community to stifle opposition to its genocidal intent.

In the eyes of some, anyone asking Israel to stop butchering tens of thousands is a terrorist apologist. So be it, each of us has to satisfy our own conscience as to how we felt about the needless death of others Israeli or Palestine or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Ulixes

Merely blaming Israel for the dead babies in Gaza is downplaying what Hamas is doing. Israel certainly have some culpability but the overwhelming blame lies with Hamas.

"the veil of Zionism". Are you saying that Zionism as an ideology permits the killing of children? If not then what exactly do you mean by that comment?

Israel is not butchering anyone. That involves killing someone like you would livestock. That's what Hamas did. Literally.

Israel is guilty of a disregard for the human shield that Hamas terrorists use to protect themselves. That's wrong and should stop but it is Hamas who have caused all of this and it is Hamas who could stop it in an instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You seem to have lost track of the discussion.

The point is that when they don't condemn Hamas for atrocities, when they don't ask Hamas to stop attacking Israel from civilian sites or ask Hamas to release the hostages - but only ever ask questions about Israel's conduct they out themselves as terrorist apologists and Hamas supporters and defenders. Sure they can carry on like that, and when they do so they will correctly be called out as such. They can have that opinion and they can be right labelled terrorist apologists. Because that is what they are.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Tbf he has mentioned this at least twice in the last day. He has explicitly stated he condemns them. Honestly, it’s like you’re never satisfied or are blinded by your own rage you skip over posts. What do you want him to say? Brutalised? Murder? Extinguish? They all mean the same thing?

And honestly you mention when these questions are only asked of one side. I don’t think I’ve seen you, and correct me if I’m wrong, condemn Israel for any of their wrongdoings before or after Oct 7th.

• Advertisement

Nope. Read exactly what was posted, and read what was asked. They are not the same thing. Atrocity and killing are not the same thing. Murder and killing are not the same thing.

The vague phrasing "in which civilians were killed" - this doesn't actually assign any culpability to Hamas for the deaths of the civilians. It doesn't assign any culpability to Hamas with regard to deliberately targeting and murdering civilians.

So - your own advice - go back and read the posts. Don't skip over them.

"the veil of Zionism". Are you saying that Zionism as an ideology permits the killing of children? If not then what exactly do you mean by that comment?

The veil of Zionism = the prioritizing the creation of and operation of a Jewish state irrespective of the impact it has on other countries/religions/races/cultures. It includes using the past suffering of the Jewish people to shut down objective analysis and justified criticisms of modern day actions irrespective of how warranted they are.

Israel is absolutely butchering people. An appropriate term given that their representatives referred to Palestinians as human animals.

It is absolutely not Hamas who have caused all of this. Israel has been killing Palestinians for decades, before even the foundation of Hamas. Hamas does not exist in the West Bank and yet Israel has killed over 200 Palestinians there in the last number of weeks.

Hamas are guilty of carrying out horrific terrorist attacks. There are a participant in this, not the sole aggressor. Not by any stretch.

You’re entitled to that view. I obviously as I asked didn’t read it into it the same way.

Same way I’d appreciate you answering this. I don’t think I’ve seen you, and correct me if I’m wrong, condemn Israel for any of their wrongdoings before or after Oct 7th.

How do you know he didn't condemn Hamas, has he refused to do so?

The attacks happened 6 weeks ago, his satirical videos that started this discussion came out in the last ten days or so. It's just an easy and repeated angle taken by everyone from Anderson Cooper to Jesse Waters, to Pierce Morgan, to Tony Connolly and so on that as soon as someone says that Israel are acting disproportionally or excessively or whatever the response is 'Do you condemn Hamas'. What that question is doing, is telling people that the person asking it does not condemn Israel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Well, he's not on TV or radio or writing for a national newspaper, therefore there's no obligation on him to show 'balance' or to satirise both parties to the conflict.

In fact, I don't think RTE or the BBC would even allow any satirist to produce satirical content about what's happening in Israel / Gaza at the moment. It would be considered too sensitive a topic for mainstream TV.

• Advertisement

I haven’t finished listening to this yet however about a third of the way in and it’s quite interesting and things to read more about.

https://x.com/owenjones84/status/1726948242531782961?s=46&t=nCkpkIOG7qw2lW1upKk_bw

I categorically, unequivocally, absolutely compeletely disagree.

Israel is absolutely responsible for the bombs that it drops.

This is the veil of Zionism I was referring to. Israel does not get to absolve itself of its own actions when it is clearly and repeatedly targeting civilian locations just because some of its citizens were killed in a horrific attack.

Israeli views on Gaza

These people are genocidal.

Nine times out of ten when such a wording is used, it is done deliberately, rather than carelessly. I have seen such phrasings elsewhere on this forum, and in short order it becomes clear why it was worded that way, as a way of weakening what was actually said but pulling the wool over the eyes of casual readers.

"Any" of their wrong doings? Ever? That is very vague. I have not jumped in defending Israel against "any" and "all" of their "wrongdoings". On the subject of civilian casualties in Gaza in the current conflict, there is considerable debate on culpability between Hamas - in basing itself in civilian areas - and Israel, in targeting Hamas in those areas.

Before October 7th, Israel was normalising relations with other powers in the region. The major obstacle to peace and progress is Hamas, who instead of focusing on protecting and improving the lives of Palestinians, have embraced conflict with Israel.

Are you saying that all people who refer to themselves as Zionists hold such views and condone such actions?

We have nutters and extremists in our Parliament too. Soon we'll be ruled by people who still celebrate and erect plaques to child killers. That doesn't mean all of our Parliament agrees with them it is not reasonable to say we are butchers either.

Israeli Palestinians have been killing Arab Palestinians for decades and vies versa. Iran and Syria have been using Palestinian Arabs as proxies for their war on Israel for decades. Israel has never carried out the sort of mass murder of civilians that Hamas has done, in fact the last time Arab Muslims were killed at that scale was in Lebanon in 1982 and it was Christians that did it.

I do agree that Hamas are not the sole aggressors in this. That title goes to Iran, or Hezbollah, or maybe Qatar. Israel is certainly in the mix too but anyone who thinks this is a conflict between the Palestinian Arabs and Israel is a fool.

How do you know he has?

I have repeatedly couched my language with caveats that it is based on what I have read, and that I withdraw my remarks if such comments were made and are still stood over. I have tried to state it conditionally, laying out the criteria under which I made the accusation.

A quick google suggests I am on the right track... we have a full blown Hamas supporter and terrorist apologist here:

Irish "comedian" Tadhg Hickey says that he doesn't condone Hamas but describes their actions as those of legitimate "freedom fighters".

Do you think the Hamas atrocities on October 7th were those of legitimate freedom fighters?

They are targeting locations where they think Hamas operatives, rockets or infrastructure is located. Hamas are locating those assets in populated areas precisely so as to maximise the death toll of their own people.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

'im going to keep on shooting you despite the fact you are behind a human shield and it's your fault if i hit the human shield.'

you know, in every analogous real life situation that would be an absurd twist of logic. it's like driving in a straight line and expecting the world to get out of the way.

I haven't read the article or the context but, as I have said previously, there is no shortage of nutters in Israel and the fundamentalist Jewish settlers are as extreme as Hamas.

Apparently a cabinet meeting this evening so imagine a vote on this. Helpfully agreed to hostages can be released.

• Advertisement

'I'm going to keep on shooting you, while you continue to shoot at me and hold members of my family hostage, despite the fact you are using a member of your own family as a human shield and it's your fault if I hit the human shield.'

I think that's a more apt analogy.

I didn't say there was an obligation to show balance. I said that when his satire is only directed at one set of targets, taken in conjunction with his other public comments on the topic, it is reasonable and legitimate to call him out as a terrorist apologist and Hamas supporter. It is not being done just in the name of comedy, of what gets the best laughs. It is serving political ends. And therefore he cannot hide behind the shield of satire \ comedy as a defence. He can't have his cake and eat it too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Normalizing relations by annexing/settling more land and displacing hundreds of people who lived on it for generations than they had done in the 40 previous years combined?

There are very few places in gaza, that are not civilian places. It is one of the most densely populated parts of the world. 2 million people in an area half the size of Louth

They were normalising relations with other Arab powers in the region. This is publicly documented, and the current conflict has put that on hold.

The settlements need to be curtailed, that needs to be on the table.

They are launching attacks from high density civilian locations, to what end? Sometimes apparently hitting their own civilians.

It is documented they have launched attacks at Israel from schools, to what end?

Does that show any regard for the lives of Palestinians?

They have bases under hospitals. They hide in refugee camps. They wear no uniform.

Does that show any regard for the lives of Palestinians?

And you're going to try to defend those war crimes by saying Gaza is densely populated? Come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"There is a world of difference between a Hamas terrorist deliberately going around targeting and executing civilians on October 7th, and deaths of civilians when Israel attempts to strike back against Hamas sites in civilian areas."

And therein lies what you really think - your bias.

Let's be clear - there is no equivalence between these abominable acts. On the one hand, we have a group of religious fundamentalists widely considered as a terrorist organisation committing acts of atrocity.

On the other, you have a state, a heavily armed state, a military apparatus bent of delivering death and destruction on a defenceless civilian population hemmed into a small area. Who knows what their rationale is - maybe if we kill 100 civilians we might get one terrorist.

It's sick and it's depraved and it's indefensible what the state of Israel is engaged in.

Imagine you're a farmer and you have a neighbouring farmer with whom you have a land dispute. You hate each other and have been smashing each others stuff for years. You've been killing each other's animals and doing all sorts of nasty stuff. You've done your fair share to make the problem worse over the years but at the moment things are calm. Your other neighbours don't really like you either but and you're about to reach an agreement with those neighbouring farms to normalise things with them.

The fist neighbour really doesn't like that so one day he comes into your house, smashes the place up, kills some of your children and kidnaps a few more.

You get your gun and you chase after him, right back to his own home. You smash in, looking for your children. You set fire to the place to try to flush him out. You don't care if his children are upstairs and might burn. When you find him he grabs one of his own children and used them as a human shield while shooting at you. If you leave there's a high probability you'll never see your kidnapped children again.

Your name is Israel. What do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

When did I ever talk about the Deep State and go on about AntiFa?

You ignored my entire argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭brickster69

I don't think anyone responded to your post Sir_Name so i thought it was well worth repeating it, considering all these statements of intent to commit genocide are publicly on the record.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭scottser

You can load as many whatifs and whatabouts as you want on to the analogy but it's still a ridiculous argument. All you're doing is justifying killing the innocent in the name of peace. And before you start pointing elsewhere, look at yourself and think about the utter stupidity of what you're advocating, because it's identical to what Hamas are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭brickster69

Incredible really to say these things in public from people in power.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement