Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'm not a pizza fan at all, can't really stand the stuff, but I would smash that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I could literally eat pizza every day - if it's good - and it's easy to get good pizza these days.

The "only" problem with it is that, in terms of the macros, the carb content alone, really, it's inherently a treat meal for us.

So tends to be every 7-10 days.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I don't get into the science of diet too much but it slightly grinds me when homemade or good pizza is seen in a negative light. The way I see it is that its the freshest of bread with very good ingredients.... if I was really selling the benefits, you're getting a mini workout if kneading the dough 😀

No recipe as such. Cut up some streaky bacon, rendered it a lot until it was crispy. Removed it, kept the fat in the pan.

Sauteed some diced carrot, celery, onion in the fat, added garlic, sauteed some more. Bay leaves and some dried mushroom in.

Added some homemade stock and the chicken and simmered the chicken for an hour or two til very tender.

Strained it and discarded the previous veg (actually I kept it and added it to a different soup). Kept the chicken.

Added the potato, pearl shallots, carrots and later some chunky leeks and simmered them until cooked. Added back in the chicken and bacon bits back at the end to heat up. Garnished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In my world, that's a chicken stew!

And inspired by it, I'm making chicken soup today for my mending, poorly wife.

I don't actually see pizza in a negative light at all, I really love it, as I said. But it's also a particularly high carbohydrate dinner, if you're not limiting yourself to just a few slices, and there's not much protein involved, relative to meals with more balanced macros, which are more of a staple in our house.

For me, it's absolutely a treat meal, on that basis, whether it's homemade or not. If I have it every 7-10 days, I'm quite happy with that. I eat as much pizza as I want, that evening, and then I don't worry about it for another while.

We're a sporty household, and although I have never counted calories, and always hated that approach, I do prefer to have a sense of where my protein and carbs are. It's half about maintaining my weight where I want it, and also about having an eye on eating to support what I'm doing in the gym.

I don't weigh, I don't track, or any of that jazz, but we've been involved in sports and fitness for long enough that I could probably give a pretty accurate ballpark figure of where my macros are, on any given day, if I sat down and thought about it.

I accept that some people don't want to think about food in this way, and they can have quite an emotional reaction to this topic, but I feel like it's just a matter of having the knowledge of how to put the foods you eat in context. Anyway, to each their own.

If you look back in this thread at what we eat in our house, you'll see it's some very rich, calorie dense food at times, absolute filth here and there, in fact, but yeah, context is everything, and some foods, homemade or not, are "sometimes foods", to paraphrase the Cookie Monster...

Apologies, I didn't mean for my post to be questioning your views, diet, or anything like that in any way.

The "I don't get into the science of diet" was just because I've never dug deeper into it. I just wouldn't have in-depth knowledge of that side of things and it wasn't in any way aimed negatively at anyone who does.

On the pizza front, we have it about once a fortnight here, maybe closer to once every 3 weeks now, but that's on me as after a few years with Ooni, it became of a chore after I went down the rabbit hole of 48-72 hour doughs / 101 different dough receipes etc.

Ah that's grand, I didn't take offence anyway... It is valid to discuss how some people classify foods and make some foods "bad", as well.

Getting the little pizza oven has probably made us eat it more frequently... Not just out of that Irish desire to "get the use out of" what was a reasonably expensive purchase.

My wife called this a lamb stew, but it's closer to a tagine.. With mash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Thai yellow curry with chicken and potatoes. Can't claim that it's authentic!

Chicken and potatoes are a great curry combination.

Someone gave us a fancy Singaporean curry kit. I decided to use it up while my wife was away, adding the suggested potatoes and chicken.

It was absolutely delicious!

So, I made the chicken soup yesterday. Hearty and tasty, to say the least.

I pre soaked barley, green and red lentils and rice for an hour or two. Onions, celery and carrots, all cooked in a little butter for a while. Added a chopped potato, the soaked grains and pulses and a couple of chopped fresh tomatoes. Then over a litre of stock (I get tubs of really tasty chicken stock for €3 in The Chicken Inn in Cork). I also added a bit of cooked chicken. Cook until everything is soft. I add some frozen peas towards the end, season and garnish with chopped wild leeks, parsley or something else green.

+1 on potatoes in curry... A great combination, not weird at all, for many recipes.

I like to do a Spanish version of chickpeas and potatoes, adding smoked paprika and olive oil.

Mushroom and unforgotten broccoli noodles, some baby bok choi as well.

Fried chicken with a red slaw, spicy mayo and some chips.

Smashed the chicken flat before doing the panko breadcrumb on them, that's why they're Frisbee sized. Helps with an even fry.

What type of mushrooms are they Dave? I've been using canned shiitakes a lot recently, fresh king oysters are great too, if a bit pricey.

Mix of fresh shiitake and shimenji. I did get some oyster but I'm probably going to use them tomorrow instead.

• Advertisement

I haven't tried shimenji yet. Are they the little ones with bubbly heads that all grow in a group? I've been meaning to try them, but they do look weird!

That's the ones. I order them occasionally from Asia Market online.

A change... Needed something comforting.

Chicken and pancetta in a creamy sauce with spaghetti.

I made the mistake today of telling an Italian friend of mine that I was doing porchetta for some friends on Saturday with pork belly in prep for Christmas. Practise almost.

As a conversation, it did not go well.

Anyway, today's dinner. Had some tomatoes that were going to go dodge, so used them to make a pasta sauce with some of the extant mushrooms.

You have to expand a bit on that, did you get a lecture on "the correct" way to do it or something?

Yeah, basically. I wasn't to call it porchetta unless it was the genuine way they do it with the flavour profile and choice of cut, etc. I noped out of there pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whats the genuine way? Ive had loads of different types in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

After a horrible week, treating myself to a beef & veg chilli with extra Kashmiri chilli with steamed basmati rice. I refilled my empty spice jar from the large refill packet over the pan and lots of chilli powder fell in. Oops! Very spicy.. good job the kids aren’t having any, it’s far too delicious and they wouldn’t like it, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

We had Butter chicken with naan bread, raita and Bombay potatoes.

Advertisement