Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd read security guards intercepted the men but haven't seen the video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Van Dijk starting tonight in a meangless match for the Dutch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Thud

Newcastle can sign players on loan from PIF-owned Saudi clubs after vote:

the corruption continues

They weren't the only clubs that voted for it so all the blame doesn't can't be directed at them. Even Everton voted for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Elliot with a lovely goal tonight. Scored a free kick as well.

And the only England player boo'ed as well tonight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

The crowd trying to buy Everton 777 own or have shareholdings in multiple clubs around the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That photo is of the first guy. Think it's the second and third fellas - the second in particular - that's producing most of the language around it. The second guy sprints absolutely full tilt straight at Mo, and is just blocked by another played before he reaches him.

• Advertisement

Yeah, all of those that voted against the ban are voting in their own self interest;

Newcastle - Saudi Owned and the chief beneficiaries.

Sheff Utd - Saudi Owned.

Man City - part of City football group.

Chelsea - part of BlueCo ownership group who also own Strasbourg, and reportedly plan on expanding further

Everton - courting a multi-club ownership group as new owners.

Forest - share owners with Olympiacos.

Wolves - owners are in the process of buying a Belgian side, and also partnering with another multi-club ownership group (and are also just big fans of any little leveraging deal they can get their hands on via Mendes).

It's a disaster of a ruling though, particularly something as flagrant as allowing Neves to join - one of the best midfielders in their whole league, never mind his own team, being loaned off out purely and transparently to help someone in another league. Like, if you can do that, then there's nothing stopping Newcastle from having players sign for massive fees and wages at one of the Saudi Clubs, and then getting loaned out 5 minutes later for free and small percentage of the wage. It completely bypasses FFP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

It’s a farce imo. So much corruption it almost seems futile to continue investing time and energy into the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Nunez continuing his goalscoring form during the international break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

I pointed this out months ago. What is to stop Newcastle signing Neves for 10 mill or whatever and Saudi teams essentially stockpiling players for Newcastle and any other clubs they own...now this. It's an absolute joke and a big part of the reason im losing my love for the sport.

Klopp is great tho, still can't believe he is our manager. I don't think I will ever stop watching our games but I wouldn't even dream about it while Klopp is in charge.

He's coming back in form anyways. Bielsa is certainly helping him out with Uruguay.

Does Klopp start him, Jota or Gakpo Saturday morning is the big question now?

Mo, Diaz and Nunez is our best front 3, so I think it’s gotta be them - unless either of the two South American lads end up particularly wrecked after the travel. Fingers crossed they come back in good shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,476 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Jota arguably our best finisher at the moment, I'd be starting him ahead of either Diaz or Nunez (whoever is more knackered).

I'm leaning this way too

Jota is the most likely to finish one of the few chances we are likely to create.

• Advertisement

Is there an argument for Jota, Nunez & Salah as the front 3?

Szoboszlai, MacAllister and one of Jones/Gravenberch as the 3 in midfield. Perhaps even a bit of a 4-4-2 out of possession with Jota & Szoboszlai wider.

I'm torn about to what Klopp will do. Nunez has some goalscoring form now, but he might go with Gakpo for the running, pressing and working for 60 mins. But one big thing Gakpo will bring is his ability to keep the ball more around the half way line when we win it back, and bring others into the game, rather than just the brute force counter attacking that Nunez brings. Nunez is a great sub to have with his pace and gaps that will open up later in the game. Gakpo just can't exploit the large gaps as much IMO. Gakpo is more adept at finding the small gaps in tighter areas.

Whatever about the front three,if Jones is fit then I would definitely be going for him over Gravenberch in midfield

Why pick Jones over Gravenbach? Jones hasn't played since the start of November in the cup when he picked up an injury so I assumed he wouldn't be fully ready?

Gravenbach obviously missed the Brentford game but Klopp did say that he only had small issue so should be closer to match fitness?

Because as good as Gravenberch has been he can go missing in games and that's not what we need in our toughest game of the season. I would go with Jones because he will be more disciplined in midfield and block the lines that city try to play through. Bring Gravenberch on alright after 70 mins when things open up a bit. But we need discipline on the field especially at the start so the game isn't lost before we realise it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I've a feeling Klopp won't start Nunez on Saturday.

The furthest distance to travel and last to play from our forwards wasn't he?

• Advertisement

Between his much-improved physical hold up play and aggressive running, I think he’s the best option against City’s at-times shaky defence - but the travel could keep him out alright. Klopp’s started with him on the bench in the previous 12:30 Saturday kickoffs after international breaks.

I still kinda hope we go for it with him though. None of the other CF options impose themselves on a game like him, and Jota is a great weapon off the bench then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think Klopp will go with Gakpo against most of the better teams we play this season. He is almost a Firminho 2.0 in how he operates on the defensive/pressing side of things, and this weekend he will be expected to be dropping deep a lot to give Rodri something to think about...Nunez on with 30 to go to cause havoc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Just for this game I’d be tempted to go with Endo over MacAllister and play as a proper defensive 6 (and don’t get booked in the first half!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Definitely an argument for Endo, Mac, and Szobo as the midfield three alright.

• Advertisement

That midfield three with Gakpo makes alot of sense.

When is the last time we managed a league win at the Ethiad?

Can only remember the CL 2nd leg 1-2 in 2018

Interesting stat that Liverpool have had the early Saturday kick-off, following an international break, 14 times since Klopp joined.

The next nearest team in that time period is Spurs with 8.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but such a discrepancy is, at the very least, desperately unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Enzokk

We have been screwed by BT mostly, but this weekend is not their fault. Blame lies mostly with the GMP who did not want the match taking place in the afternoon. Sky chose the match and seeing that City is playing on Tuesday there is only one slot open for us to play them, at 12h30 for the match to be shown.

Yes, that was our last league win at the Eithad, 8 years ago this weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It balances out over the course of the season (apparently)

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Whether or not Nunez starts is a bit of a conundrum, because if we're honest you have to balance what he brings versus what he costs. My view is probably the opposite to yours.

We know that he runs around a lot and causes problems, but starting him also means you're starting a forward who has a tendency to miss really easy chances, and in games when chances aren't likely to be frequent this has to be considered.

I think of all of our forwards, Nunez is the only one that has such an obvious downside to starting him.

IMO in a game like this you have to start the player who is most likely to put the ball in the net if they get half a chance, and that for me is Jota.

BT want Liverpool, because high number of viewers. They take Liverpool games as much as they can.

To counter that though, we look way more threating with Nunez on the field. I seen a stat recently that we have the highest xG rating in the premier league with Nunez and Salah as 2 of the starting front 3, we drop to 6th with any other combination that includes Salah but not Nunez. The simply facts are that Nunez presence alone garners more attention from the oppositions defence and our wide players, particular Salah make hay with that extra space. If Nunez doesn't start this weekend, then the job of defending Salah becomes a hell of a lot easier...

Post edited by Ottoman_1000 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Jota is more likely to finish a tap-in than Nunez.

Jota is also more likely than Nunez to finish the game with zero chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I'd start Nunez whenever he is fit. Massive improvement this season from him. I'm not hopeful against City this weekend. Both fullbacks are so weak defensively and don't have a quality CDM to offer protection to the back four.

Would be surprised with anything less than a 2 goal win for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i wouldn't be surprised if the 1230 thing was as simple as the Premier League wanting some of our Saturday matches available to the UK audience, and with our European schedule meaning we play Sundays most of the time, when the opportunity has been there, they put us in that slot so that we could be on BT.

we must be the most sought after team by TV companies along with Utd, so there's a part of me that kinda understands it.

I'm sure that's part of it but Man Utd get big viewers numbers too and have had half the 12.30pm starts after international breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

For me Nunez has to start this game long international trip or not. Every defender in the world would rather mark Gakpo than Nunez right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Well it's not so much that the EPL put us in that slot so we can be on BT : it's that BT will always pick our games to the max allowed (6 games, I believe) and 12:30 Saturday happens to be the BT slot. Then we are vulnerable to situations like this weekend where we are picked by Sky (17:30 slot) but the authorities veto that time. This can happen for games against City/Everton/others.

There's also an added indirect complication in that Sky are always going to hold back enough Liverpool first picks (which they control) to have full access to our title-challenge/Top4-challenge fixtures from GW33->GW38 at the end of the season when there are no international breaks. So the 6 BT games are more likely to happen at international breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

TNT can show a team in Package A (12:30pm) slot a max of 6 times a season, Liverpool playing on a Thursday night hampers there options to selecting Liverpool games to International breaks or Saturday after non European weeks, they can only change a certain amount of games to different time slots.

TNT have shown 2 Liverpool league games so far with another one coming in December, which again can be seen as controversial as there is an agreement not to show a team that plays Wednesday night in Europe at 12:30pm on the Saturday but nothing is stopping them from doing it for a team that played a Wednesday night league game.

You share my same concerns. I really don't know how we're going to approach this game, but we can't play the Trent in his now usual inverted role, Doku is most likely going to tear him to shreds as it is, never mind giving him a full quarter of the Etihad in extra space. The only way we get anything from this is back to our traditional 433. I even imagine a scenario of Gakpo, Nunez and Salah up front with Gakpo playing deeper to give us a 4-4-2 shape without the ball. We simple need the space in front of our full backs covered and 4-4-2 will help that...Use Nunez as a focal point and hopefully he can garner at least one chance for himself or Mo...id bite your hand of right now for 1-1!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Nunez all day long for me, he is always busy and pulling defenders all over the shop, I am very underwhelmed by gapko if being honest, he is a disappointment and looks like he is afraid to get stuck in or get his hair tossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

Sure we would love to control the ball and tempo of every game we play but if there is ever a game where we won't have control but will have acres of space to play players in behind due to how city themselves play this is it and Darwin trumps Gakpo every time in this scenario for me and it's not even close. For me Gakpo is more for the games where will be facing a back four just sitting deep and we need to open the lock so to speak with tidy passing or quick feet/thinking or whatever but for games where we will have space to run into, which is rare enough for us these days, I'm going for Nunez all day long.

For me the return fixture at Anfield would be more suitable for Gakpo as you would assume we would have slightly more of the ball. Having said all that you kinda just have to start whoever is fit and ready to start for this one given the horrendous international fixture schedule this week for alot of our players, which is a shame really cos for this one you really want both teams firing on all cylinders if possible for the spectacle of it if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Advertisement