Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Might actually get a reasonable sentence with it being a Garda that she hit. Anyone else on a bike and the same injuries and would be a slap on the wrist at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Whatever is damaged from accident get it replaced.

I'd include bike in that to. If you were to honestly sell your bike the day before accident and the day after there would be a significant difference in value; the doubt over the structural integrity of frameset will significantly effect value.

Why should you suffer that loss?

If the insurance company stall tell them you'll keep old bike once they provide the non destructive testing that validates and certifies the integrity of frameset. The person smart enough to do the testing will be smart enough not to certify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ah will you stop, slap on the wrist for drunk driving, hit and run, and those injuries....no chance just a slap on the wrist whatever the details of the victim.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Thanks all for comments, a lot sorer today, leg and arm a bit strained too. Vhi clinic had a good look at the back and it seems just badly sprained. Had to get a tetanus for the road rash. I'm OK tho, really just feel like I've been rugby tackled, by a car. Gardai took a full statement from me and progressing it onwards with driver and the witness. I'll wash the bike soon enough and look at it, it was a wet dirty day and its covered in road muck. Guess I'll just wait for investigation to be done and proceed then with the garda reports.

Re the accident itself, I have no idea how he could have missed me, his passenger saw me, who drives onto a large roundabout like that and doesn't look. He was day dreaming. He was more shocked than I was, he made no excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Bound to feel worse the day after, take your time with assessing injuries and damages as insurance aren't going to blink about paying out here, hope you regain your confidence again though which is the main thing.

Will be interesting to follow in terms of any charges brought.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Yea will see how it goes, I'm just incredibly grateful for no broken bones or head injury. I don't doubt the sincerity in the mans apology but it astonishes me that it even happened. Its a car he's driving, not a shopping trolley, he has to be looking at the road.

Post edited by monkeyslayer on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I hate to say it, but if it hadn't been a Garda on the bike, I fear that it is unlikely it would have been investigated with the same vigour, including getting CCTV footage from the pub showing her big sesh there for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭munsterfan2

If it's carbon get the bike replaced, you'll never be happy cycling downhill at 50 / 60kmh on the frame. Friend and myself got sideswipped on the N2 about 2 years ago, driver ran the stop sign, didnt see us. Felt I was OK, and he paid for the bike replacement within a week so we didnt follow up. Not sure that was the right thing to do, shoulder still gives me a bit of bother when swimming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭VonLuck

The cyclist took a very strong right turn! If that was a wobble as some are claiming, then that's even more reason to look over your shoulder before taking off. If I was that uneasy on a bicycle I'd like to be sure that I'm, not going to swing out in front of someone else, even if that person is in the wrong.

Victim blaming is where the person is at fault of the incident. People can take measures to protect themselves and still not be at fault. This is why we have helmets, lights and hi-vis clothing.

Not reading my posts clearly! I didn't say it had an impact on the incident. It was a side note. People have had dogs who have never bitten anyone until that one day when it happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Victim blaming has nothing to do with fault. The opposite in fact - it's where fault is implied even though none exists. Even going beyond that, fault and causation are two completely different concepts.

The fault here is with the dangerous road user - that's not the cyclist, it's the motorist who decided to overtake with a close pass into a junction. Mention of no helmet, no hi viz, no lights, no bell, no reflectors etc. etc. etc. is irrelevant to the actual incident. It's like saying you should have signalled 10 metres earlier. No, 15 metres earlier. No, 25 metres earlier. No, you should have kept your arm out indicating as soon as you approached the junction, the entire time you were waiting at the junction and until you had completed the turn. And you should have been constantly looking around. And ringing your bell.

In other words, what he could have done is purely subjective and referring to it, where he actually did nothing wrong, is the perfect example of victim blaming.

He was the front-most road user at the junction. All traffic behind him should have waited until it was safe to pass him. The onus is on them - as it would have been if he was a car or motorbike - to judge the situation in front of them and act accordingly... not chance their arm and plough past through a small gap.

As for the cat point... that's just nanny state mentality - something bad could happen therefore it should be banned. In this case, the cat demonstrated more self control and discipline than the motorist. If we demanded that road users actually take more personal responsibility for their behaviour instead of relying on the lack of enforcement and the constant need to try and shift blame, the roads would be a much safer place. I know I'd prefer to share it with people like that cyclist, who has the ability to train an animal to behave that well in traffic, rather than people like that motorist who clearly have so little regard for anyone else's safety because they're in such a rush.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got a SMIDSY this morning, pulled out in front of me at a roundabout. Pulled up further to apologise that he didn't see me so at least he was civil.

I had one last week where a driver entered a roundabout near Grange Castle as I was on the roundabout. Only for me anticipating his move prevented him from hitting me. Again, I followed him to the next set of lights and he apologised and said that he didn't see me (despite front light, street lights, high viz and the fact that I had clearly entered the roundabout as he was approaching the yield line (which he didn't stop at)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's so weird, shouldn't have let it slide but he seemed genuinely sorry. Other than I let a roar and am always ready to haul my brakes in South Dublin during rush hour I'd have been hit. Lots of kids coming the other way on bikes. For anyone who has ever seen me in real life, I am far from . invisible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep always ready to drop anchor in those situations until I make eye contact with the driver, people get used to just glancing to the right on approach and if there isn't a vehicle then they're clear to go, you could just happen to be behind the a pillar at the time too.

On the plus side it's a lesson learned for them to look properly next time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I once scared the living **** out of a cyclist (I was driving) as I entered a roundabout and I *think* he was mostly hidden behind the A pillar of the car at the point I should have seen him. Wouldn't like to think I'm making excuses for myself though.

Were you driving a white van near Grange Castle last Wednesday night by any chance? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Turning right at the last roundabout into my estate this evening. Car coming straight down, I'm indicating right. Well lit up, helmet, high vis and I even pay "road tax". Guy in bmw stops but leans on horn, stops car for afters through a rolled down window as i pass. What makes people so angry whwn they're driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

I had some amount of close passes this evening I think they were punishment passes as I was well out due to leaves and crap on the road, most were on unlit roads so the camera doesn't show them well. I'd the usual crap moving right at this junction it doesn't matter how long I hold my arm out traffic just pushes past here in an attempt to beat the lights and as can be seen in the video it's often pointless!

I've never liked cycling along that road (R403 Celbridge Rd) and tend to opt for Tubber Lane which is waaaaay more quiet and too narrow for most to try and overtake.

edit: I'm reminded of MINI driver overtaking me just past the junction where your video was recorded...

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I had similar, though thankfully did see him in time so his living sh1t stayed in place. It made me aware of what an impediment to vision the pillars on modern cars are, and has been a lesson taken on board ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

One of the worst 'must get in front' incidents in a while.

This car decided it would be worth overtaking me, into the path of an oncoming car, just to catch the visible line of stationary cars.

It's worth marking such occasions by stopping in front of them and giving them a slow handclap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Getting stuck in traffic and watching you pass them by 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

https://t.co/7CRH2qoIMX.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

^^ Is it just me or is that unsafe cycling? Yes, the lorry should have waited but...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Perhaps, but 1. They lorry shouldn't have overtaken and 2. the lorry shouldn't have closed the gap

Cycling was in the process of filtering past slower moving traffic when things started to speed up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭Allinall

Advertisement