Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

That might explain the high heels digs at Halley and RDS made by Vivek.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not a chance Trump picks someone with ambition or the potential to upstage him (not that Scott is capable of that).

Trump has no interest in picking a VP to compliment/assist him - He wants arm candy and a drooling sycophant.

Kristie Noem was my early bet but she might have dirtied her bib with the affair - The Evangelicals won't forgive a woman for infidelity.

MTG might be a bit too mouthy but she's certainly enough of a fawning bootlicker.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

The evangelicals have wholeheartedly embraced a serial adultery and rapist, I think they’d be ok with Noem or MTG.

MTG would be a great VP pick. She’s too dumb to work for herself and just smart enough to be grateful.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

The bookies have Noem as favourite for VP pick, but MTG is my bet. However, there's a gnawing part of me that says he'd never pick a woman or anyone who isn't white. Nikki Haley, it was claimed in the book 'The Divider' that Trump thought she was a poor choice for Secretary of State because of her complexion. She identifies as a white Christian, but both parents are Sikh immigrants from India.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I think if he picked MTG he'd alienate even more floating voters

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah but he is a man. It is a different story when a woman is a cheater.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not so sure - It's pathetic and utterly contradictory , but they will vilify a woman for adultery but the man will get a pass (with them probably blaming the wife for not keeping house well enough to satisfy her husband)

They want Stepford wives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There are a very small number of steps for Evangelical America to take before it arrives at the Taliban. In many instances they are functionally interchangeable - misogyny included.

As the law stands, he can be the nominee. If the legal actions being taken in [as of now] two states at state court level were to succeed in blocking him from running on the ballot in those states [on "insurrectionist" grounds] and not be struck down by the USSC it would lose him a load of votes when it came to the final count.

While that wouldn't block him running as the GOP nominee in the other states, it would put a dent in the GOP figures when it came to final tally figures and ensure an ongoing split in that party. A win for those behind the law suits would quite probably energise others who don't want him as president in the next term.

Imagine billboards running with "Insurrectionists not welcome here" Ads at airports etc which he would have to use as transport hubs while on the stump being highlighted on TV news channels. No name used so no one stands accused but the message would be there.

• Advertisement

I really think that’s wishful thinking. The SCOTUS will never uphold that.

they/them/theirs

Probably not. One thing that stands for the suits chances is that the "Insurrectionist" piece of law has in the constitution for some 145 years without the USSC interest in it or its validity. However, Minnesota's Court yesterday dismissed the suit in that state

A possible plus factor is that the "insurrection" piece of law does not appear to be something created or inserted into the constitution by the USSC itself which might incline the USSC not to interfere as it's line on the constitution and its amendments recently was on deleting previous amendments that previous USSC decisions had created.

I've had an unsuccessful search as to whom voted on and entered the amendment to the 14th back in 1868.

Judge Eileen Cannon has left people hanging in the breeze until a scheduling conference on March 01 next year in her order yesterday that she was rejecting Trump's application to delay further his trial on charges of violating the Espionage Act to a date later than the one she set for May 2024. She wrote in her order that she would consider more requests to delay Mr Trump’s trial during a scheduling conference on March 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Truth Social’s parent company lost almost $23m (£18.7m) in the first half of this year alone, according to a new securities filing that raises concerns about its “ability to continue”.

Over the first half of 2023 it has lost $23m while bringing in only $2.3m in net sales, the filing showed.

This has raised doubts about the viability of the company and its social media startup, according to the filing.

“TMTG’s independent registered public accounting firm has indicated that TMTG’s financial condition raises substantial doubt as to its ability to continue as a going concern,” the company noted in the filing.

Taken from here; who would have thought a right wing social media company based around Trump would not work...

From last Friday: the judge hearing the Colorado suit to bar Trump from the state's primary ballot dismissed the suit. He rejected the removal bid, concluding that Trump had engaged in insurrection during the January 6 Capitol riot but that it was unclear whether a Civil War-era constitutional amendment barring insurrectionists from public office applied to the presidency.

It seems the judge kicked to touch, and to superior courts, the decision as to whether the presidency is on the list of public offices that insurrectionists are barred from holding, even though its the highest public office one can run for election to in the U.S. The amendment includes a specification that no person shall hold any office [whether civil or military] under the United States who, having previously sworn an oath to support the US constitution, shall have engaged in insurrection against the same.

This mentions members of congress, officers of the US, or state legislature, or an executive or judicial officer of any state but does not mention the president.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭bog master

But the President is Commander in Chief of all the military! Is that a political or military title/post ?

A lot of this comes down to the fact that when they wrote the constitution they were working off two principals.

Firstly that the Office of President was a proxy for "King" but an elected one and secondly that who ever held that office would be a "Gentleman" and as such they didn't really need to legislate for their behaviour as much as they felt they needed to for everyone else.

Both theories were wrong then but are massively wrong now.

Having said that , I think they Judge in this case punted to a higher court with that ruling.

If it got to the Supreme court the question would not be "Should we bar Donald Trump" it would be "Does the 14th Amendment apply to the office of President" and the answer there I think is a pretty unequivocable Yes.

That ruling then goes back down the pipe and that Judge who has already ruled that Trump engaged in Insurrection will then remove him from the ballot.

Remember - The courts have now ruled that Donald J Trump is officially an Insurrectionist AND a Rapist.

That's who/what people are supporting.

NEVER let them forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Does it make any sense to have the 14th Amendment at all if it doesn't apply to the top elected office? Who does it exclude otherwise? Who is insurrecting to be Chief Librarian or whatever?

Exactly - It doesn't make sense , but the Judge clearly didn't want to be the one to kick him off the ballot without air-cover.

So - They declared him an insurrectionist and punted the question of "eligibility" to a higher court.

That way , the higher court is the one to say "Yes, the 14th Amendment does indeed apply to the Office of President" and the original Judge can they go back to the initial decision and say "I declared that you engaged in insurrection and the Supreme Court (State or Federal) has confirmed that the 14th Amendment applies to the Office of President , so you are out"

It's interesting that Trump has not legally argued the fact that he was found to have engaged in Insurrection , because the Supreme court don't argue the facts of a case only matters of law.

There really doesn't seem to be any reasonable way they could contend that POTUS is exempt from the 14th amendment so the critical defence for Trump is not eligibility , it's whether or not what he did was insurrection.

It was btw , so I think he could be in trouble here if the original plantiffs take this higher - Which I think is a given.

It's a civilian post, not military. Despite the office-holder being C-I-C, there are restraints placed on the office to avoid acts of mischief [pun].

Trump and other presidents are civilians, regardless of any US Federal or State position they may have held prior to being elected to/taking office on swearing loyalty to the constitution.

• Advertisement

On the issue of the gag order imposed by US District Judge Tanya Chutkan last month on Trump before the appeal court, the following is part of a discussion between the judges and Trump's lawyer: Mr Trump’s attorney John Sauer repeatedly argued his client’s statements are “core political speech” protected under the First Amendment, but Circuit Judge Patricia Millett cut him off at one point to ask whether those comments are merely protected political speech or “political speech aimed at derailing or corrupting the criminal justice process”. “You can’t simply label it that, and conclude your balancing tests that way,” she said.

The gag order blocked Mr Trump from launching a “pretrial smear campaign” as he seeks the 2024 Republican nomination for president, Judge Chutkan wrote. That order was paused by the appeals court in Washington DC, which heard arguments in the case yesterday.

If the appeal court judges decide it is part of Trump's plan to abuse free speech to attack the justice system [for his political and financial gain] the judges are obliged to protect, they may decide that Judge Chutkans gag order stands.

The general consensus based on what's been said so far is that the gag order will be re-instated albeit with some more specific limitations in place.

Trumps legal team are basing their argument on that very Trumpian belief that because he was President , he is above all the laws and is free to say and do whatever he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Colorado verdict is being appealed, which was a given really due to the nonsensical finding that Trump/POTUS isn't subject to the 14th on the basis their oath doesn't require "support" of the constitution.

A finding that holds the POTUS is above the law can't IMHO survive a cognisant judiciary.

Now the question arises, given republican & Trump's effort at stacking the courts....

Does the USA have a cognisant judiciary?

It's the extraordinary curse that Trump leaves the US with as a legacy: along with the split he created within the GOP and the increased dislike between the two parties, it seems he's succeeded in turning the lawyers and judges against each other leaving the laws of a democratic nation in flux with a rabble loose in the Capitol and in state capitols tearing the nation apart. One can only hope that he will be destroyed by the chaos he's brought about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I really don't think it is that bizarre an interpretation. Granted I am far from a lawyer, but let's look at the clause in question

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

The whole thing seems to boil down to whether the Presidency is an "officer of the United States" because frankly, it seems pretty clear it is not covered by any other part of the clause. Further to that, the use of the phrase "support the Constitution" was brought up as relevant and we can see a fairly stark difference in the oaths of office of Congress and the Presidency

Presidency

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Congress

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God."

Officers of the United States

I, (name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. [So help me God.]

Granted, I completely agree that it is conceptually absurd.

Post edited by Podge_irl on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I agree that the language of the 14th is very wooly in relation to the position of President. It's an inexactitude that is open to exploitation by bad actors.

The Dederal society are big on ensuring the constitution is read in line with the wishes of the founders. Now granted the 14th was crafted 80yrs or so after the original constitution but, if one adopts a purely telelogical reading of the clause, and importantly of the differing oath of office.

It would appear to set the President as above the law and more particularly IMO, it affords someone such as Trump a means to commit insurrection and yet not be subject to the exclusionary clause.

It is poor drafting, but. If America, as a nation of Laws is to survive the threat that Trump's demagoguery presents? It must do it on the basis of equality before the law.

One thing must hold true and if deference to the founder's intent matters a whit to the GOP & Federalist society types? It must surely be that

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

There can be no more important sentence uttered by those that birthed the Nation. That some Trumpist's will argue their man is exempt from the 14th due to a poorly drafted clause?

Really should inform your opinion on how much credence they afford the founders of the State & drafters of the original constitution.

I suppose, to repurpose Nixon - When the President does it, it is not Insurrection.

Or at least that, I assume, was the logic of those who wrote the various constitutional clauses and oaths. It is not a mere technicality - many of those who are currently in jail for their roles in Jan 6th would also not be barred from running under the 14th as they never swore an oath to support the constitution in the first place. In fact, it is a significant minority of the population who face such a restriction from future office.

It might be that an officer of the US back in the day might have been understood to be an office-holder, not just a uniformed member of its military. That alternative understanding of the term "officer of the US" could still be understood by the judiciary at all their levels when it comes to understanding the term in lawsuits and making legal judicial decisions on the future of persons charged with insurrection under section 3 of the amendment. They, after all, can be termed as officers of the courts both federal and state.

IMO, the passing of time between the passing of the amendment into law and the present day has not changed the meaning of the term "officer of the US".

Peculiar as it may seem, Trumps desire to hold the office of the President of the US, not once but twice, should count as evidence against him that he accepts it is a desirable office of the US TO HOLD, with obligations he has to heed, not some royal ruler not bound by any rules of office.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm confused. All three oaths swear to support and defend the constitution.

• Advertisement

You are confused because I am a moron and copied the wrong one. The Presidential oath specifically doesn't mention "support"

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

Advertisement