Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto insurance corrupt

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I just checked it's only the three documents I listed. There was no fourth item.

I was mixing it up wth four documents stored on my old original Aviva account.

Post edited by IrishHomer on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

How can you have 6 years no claims when you've claimed?

I never told them I had a 6 yr no claim.

They asked for that in relation to myself a named driver on my wifes car policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would be quite certain that you have (unintentionally) represented yourself as having 6 years named driver experience despite having no valid NCB.

This would be misrepresentation and would put the price up significantly once removed from the calculation.

You may find that you need to tell your wife's insurer that you had an at-fault claim on another policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

You made a claim so you now have a high quote on renewal. That's perfectly normal.

• Advertisement

What exactly is an at fault claim please?

A claim by you on your own policy. Which you have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You wrote off a car and claimed on the insurance. As no other person was involved you are at fault for the claim.

Hence why most people would just write off the car and not claim for it because in the long run you might have got 1600 from the insurnce company but your no claims is worth 2-3 times that

So, we're agreed that auto insurance is not in fact corrupt?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Well that remains to be seen whatever the case in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭shane b

I think the issue here is that on-line quotes are based on certain assumptions ie that the requestor hasnt had a claim in the last 5 years. Im not suprised the price increases after the documentation is reviewed. Very few online quotes will allow you to put in claim details.

I had a claim in 2014 and couldnt get a quote with any one else for at least 3 years afterwards. If i put in details of my claim, the on-line systems said "we can not quote you please ring the office during normal working hours". Rang the office numbers and 2 companies said that new policies have to have a minimum of 3 yrs NCD post claim for them to quote. They more or less told me to come back in 3-4 years.

The other thing i found out that my protected NCD was only applied to my insurer at the time time. I was getting a 60 % discount due to a 6 yr no claims bonus but when i went to another insurer they only seen the 1 year post claim.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Online quote systems do ask if there are any penalty points, convictions and claims (in separate questions). If you answer yes to them, it then it proceeds to ask for details e.g. claim type (repairs/personal injury,, etc.) and if the claim was settled and what way it was settled and any payout amount.

I know because I was victim to a clearly bogus neck injury claim 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭jmreire

It begs the question, after telling you to come back after you had 3 years no claims built up, just how or where did they expect you to get the cover to enable you to drive for those 3 years??

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭shane b

At that time i had to stay with the same insurer for the 3 years, as i was an existing customer they kinda have to re-insure you regardless.

My claim was settled at about 8k and i paid about 2.5K extra over the following few years before my premium came back down to where it was before the claim. My first renewal after the claim was almost 3 times the the previous years so thats when i went looking for other quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭jmreire

Just this week I was speaking to a friend of mine who was telling me about a friend of her's who is from abroad and just back from a few months visit back home as her mother was sick. A few weeks before she left, she was involved in a slight collision with another car, with her being in the wrong. At the time, everything was OK, she admitted liability, the damage was very minor, small dent etc. She asked the other lady if everything was OK, was assured that, yes, everything is ok, don't worry. So, after giving all her details, she left, and a week or two later, left the country to look after her sick mother. She arrived back in Ireland about two weeks ago and went to renew the insurance. The quote came in at €3500. When she got over the shock, she rang the insurance and asked if they had made a mistake. No mistake they assured her, the lady whose car you hit lodged a claim for €50'000. And that as they say was that. No discussion, no nothing. Except that the lady who was at fault cannot afford to pay the €3500, and so is off the road, and she needs a car for work.

That's how insurance has always worked.

The 50k claim is likely going to get thrown out, eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You've say you've never been in accident. Then you literally describe an accident that you had last year. If you are mislead the insurer, i'm not surprised it goes up.

Original proof of 0 years no claims discount

why are they asking for proof of a discount that doesn't exist?

I'm only quoting what they requested.

10 days later and we are still going around in circles.

Insurance company calling me daily and emails with documents been sent umpteen times and now they are saying my mint 2004 VW Golf is too old!

The staff keep going back to talk to managers and I still have no insurance, into the 2nd week now. (10 days)

This is entirely because of misstatements in your application, made by you.

You had a claim. You have no NCB. You appear to have got a quote on the basis that you had not had a claim and had 6 years named driving experience. These are not valid, and hence the quote given will be much higher

Very few insurers will insure a 2004 car for a new customer. There is a thread in Motors listing those that will. However your cheapest quote is almost certainly going to be with your existing insurer in these circumstances.

This is entirely because of misstatements in your application, made by you.

I absolutely refute your claim I lied!!!!!

I never gave false information!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Are you saying you didn’t tell them you had a valid NCB when you applied online?

Reading this thread is difficult as you seem to be indicating that you got a quote based on having a NCB, but then you got a higher quote when it was confirmed you didn’t.

Your evidence on this thread shows that you did.

You may have done it believing you were right, but this was due to being ignorant of reality.

You made an at-fault claim and hence lost your NCB and yet you clearly misrepresented that you had an NCB or equivalent (named driving experience) to the new insurer or else they would never have asked for it.

You have shown that you don't understand that your claim for your accident is an at-fault claim that must be declared

Misrepresentation by omission or ignorance is still misrepresentation. You should be happy that the new insurer hasn't outright refused you insurance as that is something else you would have to declare going forward.

It's not a new insurer it's the old origial insurer

Was honest in telling them was on a zero no claims that's a fact I know

You left them, hence they are now new. It is a new policy, not a rollover of the old policy.

You don't appear to understand the fundamentals here, and don't appear to be getting anything from what you're being told either.

How do you know if it's new or a roll over ?

You seem to know more than the insurance staff

Because you told us you switched policies and went back.

You appear to have forgotten your own narrative here and are not taking any advice.

Please talk to someone you will actually listen to and accept that you have made, possibly many, mistakes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

At this stage I wouldn't be at all surprised if you got refused cover. You have contradicted yourself with every second post so when you can't be truthful here, where you are looking for advice, how in the name of God do you expect any insurer to take you on if you make the same contradictory statements to them.

Advertisement