Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mirror- Netflix [** Spoilers **]

1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Struggled to get through the first two and gave up half way through the third.

Oh well:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Finally got around to finishing the new series.

In order

- Demon 79

- Joan is awful

- loch Henry

- beyond the sea (not bad at all, looked fantastic I just thought it was a bit predictable and didn't quite come together)

- mazey day

Overall I thought it was a really solid series, mazey day aside.

Loved Demon 79 excellent cast, although a bit similar premise wise to a recentish film...and a Stephen king book?...

I think this series has towards the end moved away from the focus on technology (Demon 79 did it have any angle? Mazey day...kind of) but maybe a more pure horror strand could come out of it ("red mirror"?)

Post edited by gmisk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

I've watched it all now and I think it was a solid season. First two episodes were very good, third was good in a different way but I felt it missed a few beats that would've made it much better.

Mazey Day wasn't as good but still quite entertaining and the short run time helped. Definitely not a "bad" episode.

Thought Demon 79 was really excellent. Overall thought it was a good season and I'd agree with the order in the post above. I think Demon 79, Joan is Awful and Loch Henry are all good enough that there isn't much between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,491 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Never a big fan of the show, as I've said numerous times, but I thought that series 6 was the most solid out of them all. Each of the 5 episodes had something that was engaging and they were all entertaining to some degree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I thought it was a pretty strong season overall with some really well written episodes. I actually didn't find any of them weak. Only 5 episodes which hopefully means there's Christmas special.

I don't think the show was ever really about new technologies being bad and always more about how humans may misuse tech or just lack the maturity to deal with it. In particular though I think the show was about anxiety for the future, especially the one that was taking shape in the early 2010s, and that isn't as strong here as previous seasons. Mainly because nearly every episode bar one is set in the past rather than the present or future. I feel like maybe Brooker is sick of the BM-esque present that he largely predicted and wanted to explore slightly different variations of the same theme this season. Which I think is fine but perhaps it makes the show less relevant and zeitgeisty than it was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I haven't watched BM in years, can I just jump into the new season? Are all the episodes still independent of each other?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah they are still independant of each other. Some of them have little easter eggs or throwbacks in there but it doesn't make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Still Ill

You'd be better off watching the older ones if you haven't yet seen them. The last two seasons have been more miss than hit. There were always a few duds here and there, but it used to be amazing overall.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

While it isn't classic BM, I thought this season was a major improvement on season 5. Apart from Mazey Day, I enjoyed all the episodes to a greater or lesser extent.

I do wonder if the "Red Mirror" at the start of Demon 79 hints at an upcoming spin off.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Charlie Brooker can see into the future, that AI episode very timely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Only just watched this season, and thought it was pretty strong. Loved Joan is Awful and Loch Henry.

Wasn’t a fan of Beyond the Sea as it was fairly predictable and also unpleasant

Mazey Day perfectly captured what absolute scum tabloid photographers and journalists are, and loved the twist of is being a creature as it was

demon 79 was enjoyable mostly because of well it captured 1979. But a good story too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Netflix bringing back for series 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

That's great news, hope he goes more with the Red Mirror themed episodes like Demon 79

Advertisement