Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Inviere

Maybe not a new one as such, but the attic room in my mother's house is what I'll be re-doing. New carpet, new wiring, new displays etc. Previously I'd everything wired up and ready to play, and cable management was a total nightmare.

This time, I was as much displayed as possible, the Trini and the Mister on active duty, and everything else will have their power and display cables all sorted and stored, ready to connect in when needed. This should cut down dramatically on cable management.

Unlike last time though I want a corner for micros and a vintage PC or two also.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh yeah I remember you doing that attic up aeons ago, was quite the job.

A PC corner would be amazing. Computers were one thing I was never precious about and always binned/gave away my old ones when upgrading - something I quite regret now. Not that I'd still have space for them mind you, but I'd love to have kept my IBM Aptiva with it's CRT monitor loaded with games.

Would you consider building a 90s gaming PC or something along those lines? I'd say drivers could potentially be a pain in the rear end.

Oh definitely yes to building one. I bought a Pentium MMX 233 machine recently for the purposes of turning it into a DOS games machine. I want another one for Windows 98 era games, and another for the XP era. After that (Windows 7 etc) I feel a modern PC will more than suffice. Can't beat the feel of playing some of those games on native hardware on a computer crt too. I'm never overly happy with the feel of virtual machines, and while DosBox etc are all amazing ways to play the games, they come second to OG hardware for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

When I totalled up all of the games in my collection recently, it surprised me that the PS2 was the largest collection I have. I am not going for full sets.. just iconic games (mostly classics that sold millions, hidden treasures that didn't.. and the occasional so bad it is notorious game). You could argue that the PS2s library was one of the biggest of all time so this should be no surprise, but still I almost went out of my way not to collect for it and yet so much great stuff was released on it that I still ended up with a mountain of it. I recently stumbled across rogue galaxy and odin sphere which I had passed over many times before and you are looking at stuff like this and thinking ... how did they do this on a ps2 ?

And most of it is still reasonably priced. Well at least compared to my Saturn collection for example. The whole thing holds up amazingly well today. And its nice to put in a mcboot and a 2tb hdd and not even have to pull the discs down from the shelves !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I'm stressing now about my US PS2 slim’s CD drive .

Any Steamdeck owners thinking about updating to an OLED version?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I've never actually gotten into DOSbox at all. Played mountains of DOS games growing up but that's where they've stayed really. Unless they've been given a port (or mountains of ports like Doom!) then I probably haven't gone near them since.

It's pretty much the same yourself, I'd need an actual old Windows PC to fully appreciate games like that. Part of the experience would be using the real OS on hardware (and trying to actually get the damn things to work 😁). It's a similar reason why I never really went near WinUAE.

Master of the Universe

Is it just an OLED like the Switch OLED update or are they beefing it up under the hood at all?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Has a notably better battery, and a few minor tweaks to the APU etc... which will get a little extra performance. But overall it's mainly a much better screen and a better battery.

It looks like a great piece of kit to be fair, and almost certainly should be the first choice for anyone buying a SD in the future (though I can see some being tempted by the discounted OG models). But I don't use my OG model quite enough to justify upgrading after less than two years, even though the OLED does look gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,602 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Agreed while tempting to upgrade for the bigger battery and especially the more efficient APU to reduce the operational temperature just like with the Switch OLED it's a bit too much to upgrade from the existing model.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The OLED is marginally larger, has a 90hz refresh rate and 600nits peak brightness up from 400, 1,000nits for HDR. 25% larger battery, APU is now 6nm process and uses larger heatpipe, denser heatsink and a thicker fan to drop thermals around 10°C, RAM is slightly faster resulting in 5-10% increase in performance (2-4fps). Less input lag compared to the LCD model, the speakers, touch pads and display touch response have improved also.

The charging cable is also 2.5m up from 1.5m.

The downside is there's no base model OLED, you have to drop €570 for the 512GB model. I'm getting enough from selling my 64GB plus a few other bits to justify it, otherwise the LCD model still does the job nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Yeah, I often find I'm never really collecting for the PS2 as much as just accumulating.

As others have said, it's a slightly larger screen, better wifi and maybe slightly better batter life. In terms of CPU and GPU power, it's the same.

I'm the same. I bought a 256GB model maybe 18 months ago and it gets some use, but nowhere near as much as my main consoles. Maybe because I haven't bothered with emulation on it.

The battery life is a significant improvement, in some tests I've seen increases in operational time of nearly 50%. It can run CP2077 for about 2:30 about an hour more than the base version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, there are particular type of games Steam Deck is perfect for, like visual novel / narrative-heavy games. A lot of indie games work exceptionally well on the console, and some less demanding AA-style games do feel very well suited to it (Like A Dragon: Ishiin, for example). Like all portables, it can be nice to chip away at a big, long RPG on a portable.

But there are also a lot of games where I'd much rather be playing them on a TV or monitor, and the compromises on Steam Deck just offer an inferior experience. Most nights I'd rather be playing on TV rather than a portable.

I'm doing some travelling soon though so will be nice to have the Deck. Also handy at Christmas when I'm back at the family home for a few days, and can chip away at games on Deck or Switch during the lengthy stretches of festive downtime!

I play Nex Machina on mine and it hoovers the battery in no time, I wonder how the OLED version would fare?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bargain

Yeah, perhaps I just haven't been playing enough of those games lately!

I'm actually doing a bit of work travel next year that will have me away for a week here and there so I might bring my Steam Deck with me then instead of my Switch!

Not very often you see a 10 in a grading, even slabbing new stock directly out of manufacturing would usually be a 9.8 max. Still a silly price for it though, even in 10 years time I can't see it being worth that much.

Master of the Universe

Would love to know how you distinguish between a 9.8 and a 10.

What exactly do you get for that extra 0.2?

No sunlight has landed on a 10?

Miyamoto did the plastic wrapping himself using ancient origami techniques?

The wrapping is so perfect that there are absolutely no creases so it appears 100% invisible?

It's gonna get ravaged on import as there's no way customs will believe anyone's paying that for a game a la

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I'm running out to Smyths Toys right now to pickup a sealed copy of Super Mario Wonder :D

Is it bad that I laughed outloud when I saw that?

Is there any other response necessary in fairness? Story went cold after, would love to know how it turned out but haven’t been able to dig up anything definitive.

Given the whole grading business is basically a racket at best and scam at worst... seeing those bloody plastic cases ripped apart cannot help but give some pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Is there an import charge nowadays from Ali express would anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Not in my experience, most of it will arrive via another EU country from China. Haven't had a single VAT/Duty bill since the changes. Listings usually say includes VAT

Others mileage may vary though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've about 5-10 Ali deliveries a month and the VAT is always paid on purchase, so nothing to pay on this side. Then of course everything comes via the Netherlands, so no issues at all in the last couple years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Likewise - for the past many orders from AliP, no import'ness charges.

Change the 'ship to' to US and you'll see the cost less EU taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Found like a little pinball place near my hotel in New York. Had the whole place to myself 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Dreamcast is 25 years old today. Amazing console that died too soon.

Advertisement