Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corded or cordless clippers

• 18-11-2023 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Corded or cordless cattle clippers....which way is best?

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I’d go cordless, you may need the battery fully charged before a job but you don’t need extensions or cables catching

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Cordless all day long. I’ve had both. Actually still have the cable one - just waiting on my next trip to the dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

have both, had cord for years but bought cordless lately and agree with other comments cordless night and day

most have offering 2 battery options and starting with both batteries fully charged , should get a good long session if needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What would the weight of the cordless clippers be like. We use a set of sheep clippers to do the cows backs. Awkward enough with the lead on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see Clippers Ireland are doing Black Friday deals.

Anyone have the ErgoPro Cara Sheep & Cattle Clipper (Battery 200w)?

Now at €299.

Cattle Hair Clippers for Sale in Ireland | Clippers Ireland

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Bazzer007

Cordless all the way. You get two batteries & one blade normally. I got an extra blade thrown in for free. No issues at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’ve a corded one and I’m hoping it’ll break soon so I can justify buying a cordless.

220 volt bound to be dangerous, wet conditions, steel crush etc. could get pinched in the crush easily. Too restricted with the cord too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

don't have it long enough to recommend one way or the other but bought a clipster on offer from arrabawn , my son used it for clipping backs, neck and tails of weanlings , and I was using a corded along side of him , it was well able to match the corded , used it for about 2 hours stopping to load the crush and was still on first battery , also used it to dag/ tidy up some factory lambs and it done it no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have used both cord and cordless, find the cord after 7 years still going grand from clipping lots of cattle at housing, heads, backs, tails, hind quarters, on sucklers, weanlings, store cattle, and shearing sheep also. Have used the cordless for the neighbour, handy for small numbers but can get hot quickly. When shearing sheep gets hot quickly,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

That’s the one I have but it’s the horse clippers - does a fierce clean job on the backs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Corded!

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

My shearer uses one similar to this for small flocks, carries the battery on the belt, will shear for up to 50 sheep on a charge.

I've a battery shears and find it very awkward, don't know how any one would shear a full sheep with it.

https://www.clippersireland.ie/ergopro-ovis-sheep-clipper-external-battery-300w/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

I have both, won't pull out the corded one again, last year was at the tails in the crush and fecking hail shower came out of no where the shock I got off it was brutal , and it's not old, got cordless one, tis away easier, have spare battery, fierce handy tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I’d advise you get a RCD. @Base price advised it for when working with cattle

Yep I bought one after she advised it as well. Something like this op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I always use the RCD plug like the one above, every time I use electric equipment outdoors. Safety first.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I used mine intermittently and never fully discharged the battery before recharging. I'd only one battery and when I needed it, I needed it to work, so without knowing how often I could use it before it went dead, I recharged after each use. The battery soon packed up, barely have enough power in it for a single use. Probably my fault, not using it correctly.

So, I bought a corded and man, does it sing compared to the complaining, reluctant efforts of the cordless. I now have to carry a 50m extension cable but I can now rely on it!

I can understand the pros of the cordless, that's I bought one first, but you can't beat a cord for power.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Sounds like nicad batteries maybe? Lithium does away with all them problems.

Yea fair point, regarding battery's, if not kept in good order over the quiet times, they can be ruined Come usage time, and then you've to buy new batteries.

Cordless great if batteries looked after, if you can't look after them stay with Corded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I have a Masterclip Outback find it a good machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Mr..

I clipped backs of cattle for a lad and what i found is to get the blades sharpened every so often, night and day of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

If your going corded you need to run a lead overhead your crush running through rings on a tightened line. You can then clip full length of race and keep your leads out of any water/dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Steve27

Anyone know where a clipper blade sharpener/grinding machine can be purchased in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Get blades sharpened by local lad who does them for guys sheep shearing, just ask any guy who shears sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭memorystick

I'd say the corded might be half the price if only using a few times a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭memorystick

Stupid question. Is it the same head that does backs and dirty tails. I’ve no experience of them. Going to buy corded as only keep bullocks so occasional use. Also for clipping dirty hoggets.

https://www.clippersireland.ie/ergopro-master-i-mains-450w-dual-head-clippers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sparkles2012

For the Battery Clippers any makes you would recommend? I came across Ergo Clippers on sale at the moment are they a good make?

Advertisement