Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspected counterfeit shimano pedals

Options
  • 21-11-2023 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭

My commuting hacker pedals were at the end of their life. After 10 years on the bike it was time to change. Went to amazon and bought a replacement pair - shimano flat spd mountain bike pedals. Weren't dirt cheap, amd the only reason I used amazon was that usual outlets they were out of stock or on long lead times and amazon prime makes it so tempting for essentially next day delivery. had my suspicions soon after I put them on - didn't feel right, felt a bit kinda crunchy and have developed a horrible squeek. Took them apart and regreased the bearings - of course uou sjpildnt have to do this with new pedals - but to no avail. Fully cleaned, degreased and lubed the threads when I fitted them. Anyway, packaging long gone - so can't verify on shimanos counterfeit app. Lesson learned for my next purchase.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Bit late for your case, but for what it's worth I replaced the pedals on my commuter/bad weather bike during the year with a set of Boardman SPD/flat pedals from Halfords and have been very happy with them overall. Less that €40 if memory serves

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭rob316

On each amazon listing it says who is selling it Amazon or a 3rd party. If its sold by Amazon its legit, it was sold by third party but fulfilled by Amazon it could be counterfeit.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

If op can get a loaner of an identical legit pedal and weigh it on digital scales compared to the fake that's proof enough you were sold fakes. I'd guess the fakes wouldn't have quality machined or tempered/ heat treated parts. Might be possible to chase a refund without weighing a legit pedal. If for example a legit pedal is supposed to weigh as new 458 grams and your fakes are 50 grams under or over then thats proof enough to contact Amazon with a Jpeg.

Just a suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

Sadly this is not strictly true anymore. The way the amazon fulfilled work now is open to counterfeit. If you're a "fulfilled by amazon" seller then you send your product into amazon and they ship it for you. However as the guardian uncovered last year amazon don't separate out their stock from fulfilled stock. So in theory one big section of shimano pedals. I'm selling dodgy counterfeit ones but I send them into amazon for fulfillment they go into the same stock area as the amazon held ones. The result you're buying from amazon and they could send you legit ones or you could get my dodgy ones.

Happened to me with cleats. I got cleats sold by amazon that broke first ride and when held up against a legit pair I bought in a shop here it was clearly counterfeit. I'd be very reluctant to buy anything like that from amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

A lot of the time they are also slyly named that if you are not paying attention you would think you are getting shimano cleats. As in "cleats for shimano spd pedals" does not equate to "shimano spd cleats"

• Advertisement
Advertisement