Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,232 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't think Kenny is the same as Trap and I do think he has to go.

But Trap was living in a different world to today. He had a team who were underage champions and an FAI who could afford a Trap.

What I am talking about is the situation right now. There is no magic fix manager available that will make those crap players good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Era I think there's a certain amount of people just really hoping a particularly genuine Irish football man could do something with us, similar to the feeling around Kerr, which maybe gave him more benefit-of-the-doubt than the cold hard reality deserved. I definitely stuck with him longer than I would've with someone else I think, partially cause I just like the guy and how invested he clearly was in it all. It would've been a lovely story had it worked out, but alas it really really hasn't, and looks particularly bad in hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He absolutely hasn’t. It’s just Kenny never got as testy as O’Neill with him.

What would be the point of that? It's not like he failed on purpose, and it's his last night in the job, so it's not like some external accountability is required either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's disappointing the same new players he is taking credit for blooding are being thrown under the bus for the failings of the setup.

I am blaming the manager but also the players many of whom are not very good.

What I am not accepting is black and white bullsht about it all being simple answers about who is 100% at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What the Jaysis is wrong with those questions? What are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Augme

The FAI need to ask themselves why this the case and how to improve it. FAI having zero interest in our domestic league and relying on England to develop our players has caught up with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Tandey

I didn't like watching us play under Trapattoni. After witnessing that after the last 3 years I actually long for Trap and his boring results driven football. Even MON.

That sweet memory of Robbie Brady's late late winner v Italy in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Advertisement

Who is throwing those young players under the bus ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It’s a kuntish question. “Are you sad your dog died” vibes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

He played a handful of minutes at Bohs, its not like he was playing 90 minutes week in, week out.

Brighton have heavily rotated him as well, he's only played a full 90 a handful of times. He's been a lot better protected than most kids who break through at a young age.

Its effectively saying; "So life's all downhill from here, eh Kenny?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Not sure that’s true, I don’t tune in to TOD that much over the years as I have a low cringe tolerance but didn’t he have a habit of questioning O’Neill’s team and tactical decisions a lot? Not sure he has ever questioned Kenny in that fashion.

I could be wrong but I …could be right

The fai does have interest in the domestic league but it doesn’t generate any money and the fai are a cash strapped organization. So what do you think the fai should do. They’ve asked the government for help and if that doesn’t happen, it’s somewhere between in big trouble and doomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭McFly85

Well, he got his time and now he’ll go.

I’m disappointed for him it didn’t work out, seems a decent man with a huge passion for the game in Ireland but he had long run out of road. While this campaign would have been near an impossible task for any manager, there were too many noticeable failings in games he needed results in to ignore. In many ways it feels like we had gone backwards from the Euros campaign where it looked at least like they had gained some momentum towards the end of the group.

Where do we go from here? I suspect no radical changes really. The FAI have a plan to be debt free in seven years so I can’t imagine they’re going to chuck a few million at someone in the hope of earning a few more at a major tournament. Delaney bred the qualify at all costs mentality because it personally benefited him, and thankfully he’s nowhere near football anymore.

Hopefully someone who likes to play football and is a bit more tactically adept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It's a shame it hasn't worked out, but it's clear that Kenny has reached the end of the line. There were a few slightly promising performances against Portugal/Serbia in the previous qualification campaign, but we definitely went backwards this time around. The last few games in particular were really poor, the players seemed to play with less spark and confidence. Tactically we seemed to go back to the old ways showing a serious lack of movement and just passing around the back.

I am not sure who comes next, but it's clear that whoever takes over next is going to have to go back to a more direct style.

"going to have to go back to a more direct style"

There has been a weird passing vs going long argument throughout his reign but I would say the key is we have to do both within 90mins. No matter what style we have tried we are just so obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

We need something very different. In the end, there is nothing positive out of this reign. He brought players through, but he had to and other managers have brought as many through. The football style was badly executed and didn’t achieve results. Change is required.

The fans are now in a place to appreciate what Trapp and MON brought to the table imo, let’s make ourselves hard to beat once again and take it from there.

I wouldn’t say there’s nothing positive. We do have an incredibly young side that will likely be the core of the team for the next few campaigns. I know people downplay this as all managers bring through players but we went from one of the oldest to one of the youngest, and I think that’s far more work done on the squad than any manager had done in years and deserves to be recognised.

Big issues with Kenny have been tactical. No real sense of progression throughout campaigns, always feeling like we were starting from scratch again. But the lack of reaction to Greece/Hollands change in tactics is reason enough to go.

Someone who’s more adept at reading the game and would be a bit better at managing the team during 90 mins would be great. There’s definitely a sweet spot between trying to play for 90 mins and playing with a must not lose mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Stephen Kenny has been shown to be a sham.

this ridiculous narrative that he has initiated, where we're supposed to believe that he has set these brilliant foundations for Irish football, and inferring that he has somehow sacrificed results for the sake of blooding this new, exciting batch of talented youngsters to take the national team on for the next 10 years ... well, it's offensive in the extreme.

the bloke forgot what the remit of his 500k a year job is - yes, to make sure there is a progression plan, but primarily to manage the senior team and win a few football matches. Wales, Scotland, even Northern Ireland ... they all have bare enough squads (granted Scotland are probably better than the others), but still give their fans hope with good performances, and some wins against teams that aren't Gibraltar.

Kenny was quite clearly completely out of his depth. the football he has instilled is nonsense. he has a team that plays some pretty patterns but has absolutely no idea how to be aggressive out of possession, and absolutely no idea how it's supposed to be structured when out of possession either. the team is an open runway to the goalkeeper, and it always has been. it's like he believes that pretty patterns are what football is about, and just forsakes any sense of aggression, strength or structure.

even last night, he got completely out-managed by his opposite number. NZ made adjustments at halftime, and should've won comfortably in the end.

the tears at the end were out of pride for being able to manage his country, absolutely, but i hope they were also tears because deep down he fully realised just how inadequate he was for the job. unfortunately, going by how he continues to speak, he doesn't believe that at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We just drew with a country whose babies are given rugby balls on arrival.

There have been way too many embarrassing results against such bad opposition under Kenny. I thought the players looked done last night like they have already moved on.

Hopefully the next manager can deliver with the slightly more promising talent we have and make us difficult to beat again.

To be fair to Kenny we've been a crap team for at least 13 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ElJaguar

A question needs to be asked of the FAI: why they have allowed this to go on for so long.

We were out of contention after the away defeat to Greece in June, yet no change was made.

Was it to save money or were there vested interests inside the FAI keeping Kenny in his job?

The last few home games have been dismal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

they couldn't afford to sack him and also hire a new person on a brand new salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Terrible management that allowed Kenny to stay in the job for 3 years. New Zealand are ranked somewhere about 105th and they were the better side last night, Kenny has taken Ireland backwards.

A caretaker manager should have been appointed for the last 2 games at least.

Would cost money to sack him and for no reason other than to put an equally lame duck temporary appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭TokTik

Show they failure wouldn’t be accepted, maybe put a bit of fire back into the squad. Given someone a platform to impress. Ended the season on a high, with people looking forward to the future. Plenty of reasons.

• Advertisement

Maybe so. I think some folks people just wanted Kenny humiliated and are upset he got to leave with a degree of dignity at the end of his contract rather than tossed out the door.

Not me. I was happy that Kenny was given the chance but it's been obvious for some time he was out of his depth. Better managers were sacked for less.

Anyway, interesting that Ireland provided an entertaining spectacle and almost a win vs a superior team on paper with “British style” tactics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭TokTik

Playing to the teams strengths. It’ll never catch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Myself and a few others made that point a few months ago. We were pleading with the FAI to take him out for his own good, but no it ended in humiliation. His lap of honour and post match interview last night, there was no need for any of that.

It didn’t work out for him, it’s not the first time that has happened, they should have just let him go a few months ago and put in a caretaker until they find someone.

The FAI though are a shambles, they don’t seem to have the ability or authority to make decisions on anything. Delaney really did a job on them and left them in tatters as an organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I'm not sure people are grasping how much the FAI are in debt. It's in the region of €50million.

They literally could not afford to sack Kenny and even get a caretaker manager in. It would cost thousands for literally no reason.

He shouldn't have stayed on if the FAI was a functioning organisation but they are broke. Not a pot to píss in.

Under the circumstances, they were right to keep him on and I'd hope that work was being done in the background to find his successor.

Do you think those are the strengths of the current senior team ?

They ended up paying him for his time anyway. I don’t think it would have cost much to let him go a few months back and get someone who’s already there like John O’Shea to pick the team for a few games. The FAI had to make an arse of even that.

With ogbene it probably is yes but not with Ferguson really.

my main point on that was that long ball football can actually be good to watch. Last night in turners cross was good to watch.

passing football is not entertaining to me. Attacking football is entertaining. I think people are maybe realizing this belatedly

• Advertisement

If they haven’t “a pot to piss in” what’s the point in working in the background to find his successor, how are they going to pay his successor if they haven’t “a pot to piss in”?

They were not right to keep him on under any circumstances. He should have been gone months ago. Some sort of mutual agreement should have been reached and it should have been brought to an end in a remotely professional fashion. An absolute shambles of an organisation.

I should also mention that it is nearly as important to have a good long ball distributing back line if you’re going to go long. To be fair to Kenny we did go long from the back in Amsterdam to the wing pockets. But it didn’t really work as the team is bedraggled and lack of technical ability of the wide receiving players

They have money to pay a manager 500k a year. They don’t have money for frivolous, largely pointless sackings that achieve eff all

What, they have 500k a year but other than that not “a pot to piss in” is it?

You think it’s frivolous to sack a manager in a professional manner?

Stop making excuses for them. That was humiliating last night and totally unprofessional. It’s important to do things with a degree of professionalism.

Some people can’t admit when they get things wrong I suppose. It’s much better to own your mistakes, deal with it as best you can and move on I find.

I find it all entertaining as long as a game isn't one sided.

Its just that going long involves a lot of what some call "parking the bus" which I don't think is a good idea with this Irish team because I don't trust our defence. We could definitely do with being a bit more defensive in the midfield though and stop getting caught on breaks or allowing all these fekin long shots.

I just don’t think you get the difference between budgeted expenditure and miscellaneous/emergency/discretionary expenditure.

sacking Kenny would have being the latter and they decided it wasn’t worth it. You disagree and believe it was vital to sack a manager with the chance of group qualification already gone. Others do not agree with this.

I get the difference.

It would have cost feck all to make an announcement even as late as a couple of weeks ago if necessary that “we have parted ways with Stephen and thank him for his service etc.” and then for these last couple of games John O’Shea or someone could pick the team. I would have got rid of him 6 months ago at least but if they couldn’t afford that they could have done something like I describe above and it wouldn’t have cost them an extra bean.

Doesn’t matter now, it’s over for Stephen Kenny anyway but just another shambles from the FAI.

This is exactly why I wouldn’t expect any high profile successor. The FAI are looking to go debt free, and spending a lot on a manager that probably won’t qualify for a tournament anyway isn’t a great way to go about it.

Delaney appointed previous managers purely because it benefited him personally to have the team qualify and distract from the complete mess of the organisations accounts, and we’re paying for that now.

• Advertisement

Delaney appointed them because Denis O’Brien gave him a few million quid a year to pay them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement