Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Have any south African imports been a success recently?

Heinke van der Merwe

Van der linde and his big toe

ollie le reux

Zane Kirchner

Jason jenkins

Vermulen

Rg and de alande

None of them have been great really

Jean klyen and cj are maybe the only successes and Klyen wasn't really a success until last season.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i guess Ruan Pienaar is dutch??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Heinke VDM and Ollie Le Roux were both significant successes for different reasons.

VDM in particular on the field was excellent. He rotated in and out of the team with Healy who was at his absolute peak at the time. He was nearly always fit also which is half the battle. 80 appearances in 3 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Just from a Munster pov, I'd argue all of DDA, Kleyn, CJ and Arno Botha were successes over the last number of seasons.

Then guys like Snyman and Van Den Heever were not, for very different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

I can't see the IRFU signing Lood either but it would be nice to have another lock of his stature and talent on the team. I think they do find a big body in South Africa to bring over and hope for the best in terms of that lock panning out. I just think they are playing with fire if they stand pat with James Ryan and Joe McCarthy. I never felt more comfortable as a Leinster fan when it was a young James Ryan, Scott Fardy and Devin Toner. We have the young talent in Joe McCarthy, we have James Ryan, we just need a international quality lock to add to the 23 and a minor upgrade over Michael Ala'alatoa and Leinster are in a really strong position moving forward in terms of depth across the team.

The only areas that slightly worry me as a Leinster fan is at times the lineout and at the scrum. You bring in a quality scrummager like Nyakane off the bench your scrum automatically gets stronger, also if you bring in a big bulky lock, you add a few more kg's to the scrum giving even more solidity. With that additional international quality lock, there is less of a drop off in terms of the quality off the bench.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I actually didn't realise/remeber VDM played as much. On the bench in finals in 11 and 12. For some reason I had thought Jack mcgrath was there for those but he didn't actually really break through until VDM left for France..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Not forgetting Rob Herring who is Irish through his Granny but still came here as an adult

Ricardt Strauss another good example.

and to varying degrees but all these could be considered successful club signings from SA:

Robbie Diack

Stefan Terblanche

Johann Muller

Pedrie Wannerburg

Jaco Taute

Wian du Preez

• Advertisement

Robbie Diack was brilliant for Leinster at his peak, in fairness.

I'd be very wary of signing a current test Springbok. They have a fairly patchy record for their European teams. The summer tests run into the RC which almost runs into the November tests. They're largely gone until December. Take DDA, for example. A world class player. In his last season in Limerick, he made one sub appearance before December. But he started 11 games for SA from July - November, playing nearly every minute. That's an extreme case but it's an example of the risk that you take.

There's also a fairly solid pattern of SA players having mediocre injury records for their clubs and not being available a huge amount. Not all of them, but the majority do seem to have injury issues during their stay as well as a good few not looking like half the player they are in SA. Whether that's due to not settling/playing to the standard of their team or just minding themselves, I'm not sure.

But I do think a lot of big names that come north (including NZ players) simply don't buy into their teams the way they buy into their home nations which is natural to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I wouldn't mind Leinster taking a look at some of the tier 2 players who impressed at the WC. Could be had for pennies.

Any players come to mind? definitely worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

I know we are developing decent depth there but, I'd have Arata the Uruguay Scrumhalf the first on the list for that, heard rave reviews from France and his skills at the World Cup were sensational. I'm not saying it will happen but there is a possibility that McGrath declines further and Foley doesn't step up leaving the scrum half position in need of a signing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

None of the impressive players were in positions we're weak in though. The likes of Martins, Ardao, Deus, Appleton are not better than our second choices in their positions and Arata is a starter in the Top 14, he'd hardly be interested.

Very helpfully, I'm blanking on the details, but there were some genuinely good locks and backrows playing for Uruguay, Portugal and Chile from what I remember. Not to mention the PI teams

It's got to come down to cost. It might be prudent to extend Jenkins. What value would he have in France? He's had injuries, missed time with Munster and is not top level.

I can't see Leinster competing with the French for top level locks. I would not be surprised if they sign an under the radar lock. Or even Jack Dunne.

I don't see any value in Jenkins. To call him a passenger in last year's final would be giving him too much credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

You'd have to wonder about the judgement of whoever made the final decision to select him ahead of McCarthy.

Things are looking up anyway*. The locks for the last two European Finals were:

2023: 4. Ross Molony, 5. James Ryan; 19. Jason Jenkins (replaced Ryan on 29 minutes)

2022: 4. Ross Molony, 5. James Ryan; 19. Joe McCarthy (replaced Molony on 76 minutes)

My opinion, and probably the opinion of the overwhelming majority, is that Ryan and McCarthy starting and Molony/Baird/Jenkins benching is a big improvement.

*as long as they actually select McCarthy now

I'd be happier to stick with what we have that go after Dunne. He was here and, whilst I think he should have had more opportunities, he wasn't anything special in his few appearances. I'd rather see us concentrate on COT and Mangan into the future than bring Dunne back who will be 26 at the start of next season. Not sure he'd want to come back either. He hasn't set the world alight in Exeter but he has had game time which he didn't have here. 23 appearances last season which is more than he had in his entire Leinster career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Yeah Dunnes time is done, Soroka and COT. With Spicer to come.

Yeah Dunne isn't an upgrade. I just realised that both RG Snyman and Jean Kleyn are both expiring at the years end. Interesting. With Thomas Ahearn, Tadhg Beirne, Edwin Edogbo, Evan O'Connell, Fineen Wycherley and Cian Hurley, I wonder is it a pressing need for Munster to re-sign one or both? They are fairly set at lock for the future. They could use a hooker and an additional winger to replace Keith Earls and Andrew Conway. I wonder would they use the NIQ designations to get stronger in them areas?

I could see them letting go of RG Snyman and holding onto Kleyn but I wonder could Leinster slide in and take Kleyn off their hands. He would be a definite upgrade over Jenkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Is anyone able to get into the move/upgrade tickets thing for the Stade Francais game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

I was able to. This is the link it took me to (need to be logged in to your Leinster season ticket account).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Ciaran

That's where I thought alright. I'm not seeing an option to upgrade the ticket there though, just something about the 22Season. I'll email the ticket office I think.

Agreed. I think Dunne is underwhelming. He's not getting a look in at Exeter. Again it would come down to cost. As far as Snyman or Kleyn are concerned, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was togging out for Saracens next year

• Advertisement

saracens are in absolutely no state to be able to afford a SA world cup winning lock.

if they did so, Owen farrell would be out the door as he'd no longer be the marquee player.

Premiership rugby is going to go through a good few barren years with no high profile international additions before we see a return.

Advertisement