Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Agreed, as I have stated many many times. I welcome any immigrants coming to this country who are here to work, integrate and add to society.

I totally Don't agree with the admitting of immigrants here for a free for all with no checks and restrictions. But this is happening and these people are receiving benefits and houses and have no intention of working.

But saying this,does this class me as right wing, racist,hate speech .I don't think so. To me it's common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

Leo's recent statements totally contradict his earlier claims that migrants were good and an economic boon. No media will take him to task on that though.

The fact that so many EU countries are now working to restrict the number of refugees is by itself evidence that they are a economic drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I think the poster means its the govts choice.

And therefore our choice, by virtue of being able to vote in a govt.

Yeah would probably be true but for the party I voted for didn't get in.

Even if I had of voted for the present government I would of hoped that they would of put their own citizens interest first which they don't.

And lastly the party I voted for Last time unfortunately will be no different from what government policymakers are doing now.

Talbot St is indeed very run down.

I dont think many people would argue with that.

The North Inner City needs mixed development housing, allowing more working people and home owners to live in that part of the city.

Investment from the govt to supplement the mixed tenancy of the area would also help the recovery.

There are green shoots with the Clerys development, but the way the Govt have allowed the Northern part of O'Connell St to lie derelict for decades is scandalous.

I couldnt imagine Oxford St in London ever suffering those levels of neglect, nor Princes St in Edinburgh.

That said, removing all immigrants from the area wont change a thing.

Enabling a mixed residential development and building from there is the only way to make a change for the better.

• Advertisement

I dont think you will see any of the 3 major parties changing approach significantly.

FG are possibly moving a little to the right on the subject, in that Leo is starting to voice that we are approaching capacity in terms of IPAs and that people are moving from EU countries to Ireland to avail of enhanced financial benefits.

But FF and SF wont oversee any change at all in that regard.

Sadly I have to agree.

I havnt a clue who you would even give a vote to for the good of this country and Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭tom23

Indeed. Clearys reopening might kickstart a revival of sorts. The amount of romany hanging around all day is depressing. Before there is an NGO boards pile in - we need to find something for these folk to do rather than hanging around on street corners. what that is i don’t know. They’re also a lot of homelessness and people of all hue with mental health problems. Place needs massive investment. Talbot street used to be great imo, back in the late 80’s and early nineties, yes it was run down but there were clothes and shoe bargains to be had. It was gritty enough but a bell of a lot safer than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Now GG, it's a long time since my mammy told me off, and I don't want it happening again at my stage in life, so desist!

Anyway, not going to justify myself to anyone. Me merely having a grin at something that I found mildly amusing is not me signing up for the National Front now is it? FWIW I feel there are some who arrive here for the free prams and cars, and vouchers for Veuve Clicquot which they quaff on the terrace of their penthouse apartments (anywhere but D4 of course), at our expense.

It's a disgrace Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

You may disagree with such politics, but people are allowed to hold such opinions without it being condemned as hate speech.

Ireland is becoming an outlier in being too generous for migrants, and becoming a security risk to both Europe and the UK. We are fast becoming Sweden in 2015.

Sweden invited in refugees, but then lashed out at their EU neighbours for not taking their share. They thought they could save the world. It culminated in the deputy prime minister tearfully announcing Sweden was full in a press conference.

I'm not suggesting we are going to need the army in the streets like Sweden has needed recently, but if we continue as we are anything is possible.

We need to wake up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

In Tralee there is a growing problem of foreign men with nothing to do drinking in the park every day of the week in large groups.

They are shouting obscene comments at local women and teenage girls.

Look at the mess left behind too

Irish indo.

https://archive.is/EJhM2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Her daughter, an Irish citizen, is working and looking after her elderly mother, and they need a little help, that is exactly the situation that the safety net is there for.

Of all the "dole cheat" stories that we could pull up, this one doesn't even chart for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well immigration wasn't a prominent issue in the last GE campaign, and nobody could have seen the Ukranian influx coming, but I don't see that you could have expected the main political parties to be doing things much differently in light of their stated policies

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Gamergurll

She's only upset because she's racist... Obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭queueeye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭tom23

Yup a snowflake far right racist. The lads are only relaxing after a hard days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

And therefore our choice, by virtue of being able to vote in a govt.

That quoted line...

Our choice eh? - Can you point out where in the Green party manifesto for the 2020 GE it stated that - 'If in Govt, we will send out tweets in multiple languages to 10's of millions of people, inviting them to come to Ireland for their own door accommodation after four months?'

Can you show me where in the FG, FF party's manifestos for the 2020 GE it stated - 'Should a coalition partner in Govt decide to send out tweets in multiple languages to 10's of millions of people, inviting them to come to Ireland for their own door accommodation after four months, we will agree to this proposal?'

Is that what we chose?

Or perhaps the true meaning of democracy in Ireland means - 'We can say any old shi!te to get elected and once elected, all bets are off and we will do whatever we like' - Is that it Blue?

None of the regular contributors to this thread (that want controlled immigration) voted for this sh!t show I can assure you

As an aside, your other recent posts on many, many political threads, come across as being very pro FG/Govt and very anti Sinn Fein, albeit very subtly, but I'm most likely wrong on that one and I stand to be corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Is being deported and removed from welfare something to do?

That will never happen as we have seen in another very sad high profile case. Once you're in your in.Apparantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Can you point out where in the Green party manifesto for the 2020 GE it stated that - 'If in Govt, we will send out tweets in multiple languages to 10's of millions of people, inviting them to come to Ireland for their own door accommodation after four months?'

Well political parties generally don't go into granular detail about what they would do in government in their manifestoes. But the Greens did say they would

Work towards ending Direct Provision and

replacing it with a not for profit system based

on accommodation provided through existing

or new approved housing bodies.

TBH anyone who voted for the Greens in the expectation they would implement restriuctive immigration policies deserves everything they (don't) get...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

“Support” without actually doing anything are just weasel words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TokTik

Well a start would be to implement the EU laws that Leo et al love telling us about.

1. Repatriate any EU citizens here after three months if they cannot support themselves. This alone would have saved Aisling Murphy.
    2. Make all EU arrivals register on arrival, and with the local office in the area they move to. Move on again and register in the new place. Don’t register without an iron clad reason and get caught, enjoy your flight home and don’t come back.

Those are just 2 things we could do to reduce pressure on housing, health, education and social welfare.

They are still the party the people voted for, regardless of what they did afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Don't worry about corporation tax drying up here, the government has a plan. Yes, you and I are going to have PRSI increases for the next five years in order to replenish the social fund. Would this be the same social fund that is currently paying full benefits to the 100,00 or so Ukranians who are coming here in increasing numbers? Some from such war torn hellholes as Canada?

But wait, what about the "we need immigrants to pay our pensions brigade?" We're paying for such immigrants both economically and in a high social cost, as the unfortunate Ryan Casey, boyfriend of Aisling Murphy and her family can all too easily tell us.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Those PRSI increases will be a hard pill to swallow paying for all the freeloaders we've imported already and continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There are some people with genuine concerns about refugees. I wouldn't class them all necessarily as Anti refugee/Far right. I think there is a line between concerns about refugees and being anti refugee. I think when you go from genuine well meaning concerns to being anti refugee that you are at that stage far right and Its ludicrous to claim that you can be anti refugee but not far right.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If people want to retire at 66 and people want to have a system that pays adequate income if you lose your job it has to be paid from somewhere.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Agreed, so why spend it on economic migrants posing as refugees?

• Advertisement

Any claims I have seen posted have been well meaning concerns in my opinion.

Normal local people making stands and protesting about buses of young males from god knows where being smuggled into their towns and villages under darkness are being classed as far right racists.

In my honest opinion the far right label is mainly used when an argument is lost.

Advertisement