Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

Next up in the courts, Gerry Adams, trying to shut down a case against him in the UK courts. He's really trying to stop them bringing up his links to the IRA and the evidence of it, REALLY, REALLY trying hard to stop it

FORMER SINN FÉIN president Gerry Adams is waiting to see if he has won the first round of a High Court damages fight with three victims of bombings on the UK mainland.

Anne Studd KC, leading the claimants’ legal team, said each man alleged Adams was “liable to them” both as an “individual, given the part he played in the preparation and planning of the attacks”, and as a “representative” of the Provisional IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You avoided the question on the 50 to 60 exaggeration. To be expected.

Also neatly sidestepped the ‘a load’ exaggeration.

For your information: all parties suspend and expel members from time to time, nothing unusual in that.

I hope everyone keeps suing everyone and hopefully we can eventually have a f*cking conversation about how obscene our libel laws are.

Then we can have proper conversation about overall speech in the country after Helen McEntee tried to drive through her draconian legislation.

The laws clearly suit those who have had the power to change them but haven’t. You would think the question would be why haven’t they.

Again with the gaslighting, trying to dismiss bullying and harassment as a normal thing

You wish for me to answer your questions, no problem, right after you answer mine. Only fair, I did ask first

• Advertisement

What did you ask?

Only seeing the ninja edit now. I have to see these 50 or 60 cases and some proof.

Allegations are not proof. If you think that is gaslighting so be it.

There was no ninja edit, that was done immediately after posting

I showed you loads of proof already but alas there are none so blind that will not see.

I am reminded of the phenomenon where kids from abusive homes grow up to think being abusive is normal. Seems to be a similar phenomenon happening in SF with all the abuse within its ranks

I quoted it without the bit you added in the edit. That is what I know as a ninja edit.

You showed allegations and one where a SFer was expelled on foot of allegations.

Any sign of these 50 or 60 cases or ‘loads’ of expellings?

When my kids are exaggerating I tell them they are telling fairy tales. It’s not normal and they generally grow out of it.

I also tell them not to trust what they read.

And yet you still avoid answering

Again, I already provided evidence of multiple members expelled

You refuse to accept it that's not on me

You appear to have little interest in anything that doesn't paint SF as the glorious saviours so I'll let you off. I do, on the other hand, look forward to sharing the continuous troubles of SF here

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It is not a normal political party, that is known.

Omerta is king, the cabal in Belfast control everything.

Unfortunately, I think the Irish people will fail to see it before the next election. A small sliver of hope remains, but that is all.

Hope that is extinguished by the SLAPPs actions of Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement

There is no question in your post.

You claimed 50-6o cases - no back up for that yet.

You claimed ‘loads’ of expulsions. There were 5 mentioned in the article, a number of them over the same incident.

All parties have expelled members, there is nothing particularly unusual in that. Haven’t they just let Bertie back into FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭maccored

prove he was in the IRA and sure he'll lose - surely? Shouldn't be that hard to prove he was in the IRA apparently. Unless of course that cant be proved. but then that'd be completely against the justice system to be accusing someone of something you cant prove.

'Proof' is only demanded when allegations are made against some in this country.

I think that is why you see cases being taken against newspapers now.

Obviously the new leadership of SF are no longer going to be held to account or responsible for stuff that happened when they were, in the most recent round of allegations,(Mary Lou and the Ben Dunne kidnaping) 12 yrs of age when it happened or not even born in other cases.

The message seems clear, if you make an allegation or insinuate, be prepared to stand over it in a court.

Nobody would dream of holding a young FFer to account for the crimes of Charlie Haughey or a FGer for Lowry's crimes. It would be patently ridiculous to do that.

Nobody would ask that FF or FG members renounce those who brought about independence via killing and kidnapping and disappearing either. There is zero problem on the high moral ground with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭rock22

I have read their report. here is their own press freedom index

Ireland is number 2 globally by THEIR OWN criteria.

But they have decided, presumably at the behest of a journalist here, entered in to a party political row with Sinn Fein. What is more, they are asking MMcD to stop her TDs taking legal action. At the same time Sinn Fein being criticised for being too centric and autocratic. Yet they have not made any criticism of any other political party in Europe where, by their own criteria , press freedom is in more danger.

So yes , I call them out on it. I would rather put trust in our own legal system than the howling of a press mob who wan to to stop the matter coming into open court.

Yet they have not made any criticism of any other political party in Europe where, by their own criteria , press freedom is in more danger.

Again, simply looking through their recent posts on the topic would show you are incorrect....again. Hell some of the links I posted for their recent articles show this to be incorrect so you didn't even have to go to their site to see you are wrong

Its like you are burying your head in the sand and ignoring all the evidence that would show you are wrong.

Is this a SF thing because another SF poster does the exact same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭rock22

"Again, simply looking through their recent posts on the topic would show you are incorrect....again."

I have read your links. None concern rsf involving itself in a party political dispute.

What is being argued here is some journalists criticising the right of someone going to court to vindicate their good name. They seem to believe that , as journalists, they must be able to write whatever they like , without consequences. I have no idea what the IR article said about Chris Andrews TD. But, since he threatened to sue, there has been a relentless media campaign, now including the rsf, to stop that case. I would have more faith in our courts system than I do in the 'press'. Just look at what the 'press' have managed to do in both the US and UK to learn why they must be held to account. Whether the IT were right or Andrews is right, I see nothing wrong with the matter being decided by our courts and not by the media.

But i find it extraordinary that the rsf wants to involve itself in this in Ireland, a country the rsf itself rank as second in the world for press freedom, when they are not criticising similar cases in other jurisdictions.

A few things

1. You say no bullying happens, I provide multiple reports it does, you ignore those
    2. You say nobody was expelled for bullying, I provide reports that multiple people have been, you ignore those
    3. You demand I answer your questions, yet ignore any put to you
    4. You gaslight every piece of evidence put to you
    5. I gave you reports of approx 25 people involved in bullying, harassment and psychological warfare within SF, with multiple accounts from former SF members, you ignore it all

You have zero intention of reasoned argument based on evidence and facts and prefer to gaslight and give credence to conspiracy theories.

Based on all that, and the fact you ignore every piece of evidence shown to you, why on earth do you think I would provide more evidence for you to just ignore and gaslight. If the approx 25 shown already means nothing to you, then its unlikely a further 25 will have any effect so why would I bother?

1. You say no bullying happens, I provide multiple reports it does, you ignore those. No I haven't
    2. You say nobody was expelled for bullying, I provide reports that multiple people have been, you ignore those. I questioned your use of 'loads' expelled and reminded you that all parties expel members
    3. You demand I answer your questions, yet ignore any put to you. I asked you to re-ask your question, you haven't as yet
    4. You gaslight every piece of evidence put to you. Allegations are NOT evidence, I have reminded you no court or tribunal have found anyone guilty of bullying to the extent alleged. Pretending allegations are evidence would be closer to 'gaslighting' tbh.
    5. I gave you reports of approx 25 people involved in bullying, harassment and psychological warfare within SF, with multiple accounts from former SF members, you ignore it all. No I don't. What you are ;giving' are allegations made by former members of the party who may or may not have agendas. None of these allegations are accompanied by any evidence.

I have asked for that evidence. You have not provided any. Again an allegation is NOT evidence, if it was imagine the round up of the guilty we would have to do across the political spectrum.

• Advertisement

Does 'gaslighting' mean anyone with a different opinion answering you back or RSF?

Are people supposed to fall prostrate in front of what are 'allegations' and differing opinion?

What do you mean?

I'd explain it to you but you would ignore it so why bother 🤷‍♂️

I think you just gave all the explanation necessary. You are just using an edgy buzzword or don't understand the word to begin with.

The pension time bomb is ticking away. By not increasing the pension age to 67 the govt has a gapping hole to fill. Part of it is filled by the wealth fund, part is filled by PRSI increases, but it won't be enough to cover the rising pension costs

The bonkers SF solution? Reduce the pension age to 65, don't increase PRSI, put money aside, but spend it before its needed for pensions. Do they get their economics degrees inside cereal boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The mad thing is their voter base would be far younger than either FG or FF, these are the exact people who need to have the pension time bomb explained to them and who can understand its future impacts on their lives. IE being honest and telling people in their 20s and 30s that there will be no state pension for them and to start prepping for it is far easier than telling people in their 50s. However in saying that their voter base is also far less financially literate or educated so doing so is going to be a tricky task and seemingly they have decided as usual to just take the populist and therefore easy way out.

Are you making this up? Can you show us where SF have said this?

but spend it before its needed for pensions.

Plus, can you explain why the government have not changed the pension age if they believe it should be 67 to defuse this 'timebomb'?

No idea why you keep asking me questions. I've stated numerous times already that as you refuse to answer any put to you, I shall return the favour

Whats good for the goose and all that jazz

• Advertisement
Advertisement