Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's silly.

Would you protest against the Irish government today if they were sending aid, military or otherwise operational, to Hamas? Or would doing so make you a bigoted anti-muslim? Because you haven't protested equally about all the other unconnected and unrelated events that have occurred in the last 10 years?

People in the West always protest when countries in the West unconditionally prop up States and governments that commit atrocities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You deny that there is any Anti-Semitism in the wider Arab and Islamic world towards Israel and the Jews?

Do you know what was written in the Hamas Charter? Do you know what they teach their children in schools?

It's a lovely story, but that is all it is, a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nowhere did I paint anyone who is critical as being anti-semitic.

I listed specific behaviour that is anti-semitic, and noted anti-semitism as being one major factor in the criticism that Israel gets relative to other states.

So "Bit of a disingenous response"? Sums up your post perfectly.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

I suppose Hajo Meyer and other holocaust survivors who are critical of Israel can also be cast aside as fringe headbangers too then.

They don't protest on anywhere near the same scale, as you are well aware. It is always Israel that gets it.

If the Irish government was sending aid to Hamas like regimes around the world, carrying out Hamas like actions, and one particular regime gets 10 times the protests of another - that warrants examination.

The why of that, is what was being discussed and the point you completely missed in your rush to labelling things "that's silly".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

That picture is the best way to deal with the islamaphobes/hasbarats/Irish-Israeli apologists.

Hopefully the hostages are all released quckly .

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

No - he was a Holocaust survivor as a child. Mate claiming to be one seems a pace with him being a fringe headbanger.

It's perfectly okay for Holocaust survivors to be anti-Israel. It's not as o.k. to claim to be one when you were a baby then and then use that claim for furtherance of your politics.

Sure it's the same as how those poor lads with 200+ convictions are always getting it in the neck from certain sections here.

Pure hatred and discrimination.....nothing else could explain it..... not the poor lads faults. Yet you'd have eejits trying to say that the reason they get in trouble so much, and get their knuckles rapped so much, is that they keep doing the same thing over and over.

Israel is carrying out a genocide in front of the eyes of the world. And the West is facilitating it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Is it really markodaly? You might not like to accept it given your own political views , but America engaging in regime change is factual- the CIA admit in their own declassified files down through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Finkelstein and others point out that the regime uses a lot of dehumanising language when speaking about Palestinian people, in order to justify the war crimes against them - constantly linking them to terrorism and extremism etc. This is all part of the classic rogue state playbook (witness how the Russians keep referring to Ukrainians as "Nazis" and "fascists").

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I don't think it's accurate to say that people hold Israel to a different standard than some other countries in that region just because of some sort of anti-semitic reasons. After all the South African Afrikaner government was similarly subjected to mass protest and condemnation in the West during the era of Apartheid.

My own theory on the matter is that places like Saudi Arabia and Iran that are absolute pariah states, run by ruthless autocracies who rule their people with an iron fist. They don't have freedom of speech or freedom of the press and have never really had a history of these things. People see places like that and just think they're a lost cause.

In contrast, people see a country like Israel that's a functioning democracy with a free press and a highly educated population that has a look and feel of many of the southern European countries that also border the Mediterranean. They see a place like that and it's easier to imagine it like their own country. That's why it hurts so much more to see how they treat the Palestinians. (Obviously in Ireland then there's a whole other layer when it comes to seeing people get disposed off of their land by colonisers backed up by military might like the settlers in the west bank - that just reminds us of our own not too distant past and the pain that our ancestors went through.)

I take your point but I am not just talking about Irish or even Western people here though in relation to the anti-semitic angle. I am saying it is a major factor globally.

I'm talking about global reaction and how Israel is treated differently by other powers in the region, for conduct they turn a blind eye to (or engage in themselves, or worse conduct) from other powers of the same ethnicity \ religion.

And the noise that that generates feeds into the reaction in Ireland also.

I think also some of the criticism to Israel from certain circles (the PBP types) comes from a general hostility to Western nations of which they include Israel, and never mind not holding Israel to same standard, do not hold 'others' to any standard and make excuses for their far worse conduct.

Is there any crime, or any point, at which you think it would be possible for a non-jew-hating, non-antisemitic, person to legitimately criticize Israel? Even if they haven't devoted at least as many words to every single bad thing that has happened anywhere in the world during their lifetime?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭brickster69

Why do you think people refuse to condemn Israels obvious crimes against humanity ? Do you not think it is strange ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Disingenuous much?

And already asked and answered below.

When it is only Israel being criticised, when Hamas is not, when the insult Nazi is hurled at Israel for conduct they would not describe as Nazi from others - that is when the legitimacy should be questioned. Or rather, that is when is is entirely legitimate to question the agenda and motivation for this difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

With regard to PBP: Their mealy mouthed response and hand wringing after Russia's invasion of Ukraine showed them to be entirely morally bankrupt. It was clear after that that their entire view of geopolitics is based simply on bashing the USA and their allies, regardless of the circumstances. They're a joke of a party.

And Israel is bashed by them as an ally of the USA. And on a scale, relative to their conduct, that far exceeds the bashing given to Arab allies in the region. There is a hatred in the PBP attacks on Israel that is not seen in attacks on other allies, attacks on similar conduct. That hatred warrants an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Come off it.. it's a heads I win, tails you lose demand from the Israelis. It's been said here from the start that you cannot militarily defeat a group like Hamas that are embedded in the population as a whole, without causing severe collateral damage among civilians. Let's be clear here, if the roles were reversed here and it was Israel citizens who were being ruthlessly slaughtered as Palestinians have been .. then the word genocide would be up in LARGE lights everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

When it is only Israel being criticised, when Hamas is not.

Hamas is a terrorist organization, we have all criticized them, I've advocated that they be removed (leadership targeted/funders sanctioned etc).

That is a given, the absence of posts justifying Hamas reflects the widespread condemnation of them.

But Israel has killed vastly more people, ruined the lives of vastly more people, and influences life in Gaza vastly more than Hamas does in Israel. It also enjoys vastly more funding and military support.

It is a tired and feeble excuse to say that Israel cannot be criticized unless similar weight of criticism is given to Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

To be honest and fair, I personally have no problem with being called or labelled anti-semitic if the cause of such criticism is the calling out of the state of Israel for heinous acts. Being Jewish does not give them special dispensation to engage in the great civilian slaughter they have engaged in. They don't get a special pass just because they are Jews. The same expectations and perhaps even more some should be demanded of them as everyone else.

I might also point out that I had Jewish friends in school and still keep in touch with some. I know one chap out in US and he's as appalled as anybody.

You are peddling a conspiracy theory that Saddam was overthrown because he wanted to go against the Petrodollar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Sure it’s done constantly? See this thread for instance.

No, "we" haven't all criticised them if by that you mean in the context of this thread. The majority has. But there has been dissembling and tacit condoning of Hamas as I outlined yesterday.

And in wider social media and global terms, the concept that Hamas has been criticised from all quarters certainly does not apply.

So when only Israel is being criticised, and never Hamas & when the level of criticism of Israel far exceeds the criticism of other conflicts, then it is entirely legitimate to critique that.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ah, that's great news. Fingers crossed Emily is okay physically and mentally and hasn't been too traumatised by her ordeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Brilliant news. Hopefully the ceasefire holds for more than the allotted time and even more hostages get released. What happens after will be interesting. Israel will still go after Hamas. Hopefully without the additional slaughter of thousands of innocent women and children (which is in its power to do). Talks for a 2 state solution would be the next natural step. Wont happen though.

Advertisement