Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

You're not seriously saying Kilkenny couldn't beat a team that's lost to Waterford two years in a row?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I think Kilkenny could certainly beat Waterford and Tipperary but they could easily lose to both aswell. Kilkenny would struggle to get out of Munster in 2024. I could see them getting some right beatings in the round Robin. There's a certain delusion in Kilkenny,Wexford even Dublin and Galway that Limerick are miles ahead and everyone else is bunched behind. It's just baloney. Leinster is so far off the mark it's crazy. And I for one want to prevent an insurmountable gap opening up. Kilkennys inate know how and home pitch familiarity of Croke Park have allowed them look like they are right up there. The last 20mins of the All Ireland Final is an accurate picture of Kilkenny right now. That's my opinion

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Tell me then how the last 2 years Kilkenny have beaten Clare twice and before you use the Croke Park ticket that Galway have beaten Cork in Thurles and Tipp in Limerick the last 2 years. If you use the they were knackered after Munster championship ticket your talking nonsense too as before the Galway Tipp game this year Tipp had 1 game in 4 weeks a turkey shoot v Offaly while Galway had to get themselves off the floor losing the Leinster final in heartbreaking circumstances 2 weeks earlier. In my opinion Limerick on form reach levels nobody else can at the moment, Kilkenny, Galway, Cork, Tipp and Clare all around the same level and all capable of beating Limerick if their off colour and all capable of beating each other. Waterford, Wexford, Dublin all around 1 level, not good enough to beat Limerick but good enough to beat the group ahead of them on a given day if everything clicks and the opposition are off it a bit. In all honesty I think you're argument hasn't a leg to stand on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dodgysub

Was there a County Board meeting last night re changes to under age grades for next year? Has anyone any news? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Yeah the county board meeting last night had a discussion on the age groups, a vote will be held on the 4th of December to decide whether they go back to even age grades (U14/U16/U18) or stick with odd age groups (U13/U15/U17), it's to be discussed with clubs over the next couple of weeks before with the vote then taking place at the next county board meeting. From reading the room last night I think there was overwhelming support to go back to even age grades despite one delegate from Bord na NOg doing his best to talk against it and scare monger people with threats of less games for minors! One thing however that they said would not be happening is that no adult game would be postponed because players are playing minor and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I thought Na Piarsaigh were poor on Sunday, and given how dominant they are within Limerick, I wonder is there real depth in Limerick below the senior team?

I'm not stirring it here; I am unapologetically looking for some hope for the chasing pack. Outside their three county starters on Sunday, I saw nothing that looked like good intercounty standard. Conor Boylan who when he comes on for Limerick, fits in seamlessly and looks class, was average at best on Sunday.

Also, on Limerick, I pulled out the programme of the 2017 AI qualifier between KK and Lim last night and yet again marvelled at how that Lim team has progressed. if you told me that evening, after piss poor match between two average teams, that 12/13 of those who played would now have 5 All Ireland medals, I’d have had you committed. While they undoubtedly had a good crop from underage 2013-2016, their transformation into what they are today is incredible.

So,does it really matter that there may not be an abundance of serious hurlers? Once you go in to the Lim senior set up, you will likely become a serious intercounty hurler.

Waterford had as much good raw material at underage in that exact same 2013-2016, and look at what they have to show for it now? A national league and a team already now breaking up.not even a provincial title to show for a suppsoed "golden crop", some geniuses called their U21 winning team in 2016 "the best ever at thet grade"

On Waterford, why wasn’t Darragh O’ Sullivan and his team given the Waterford job years ago? Ballygunner are the best coached club team in Ireland.

All three Kilkenny clubs playing at the same time next weekend in provincial club semis. FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Are the lads turning 18 allowed play adult hurling or any limitations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Village87

Unless it goes back to u18 soon clubs are going to lose to many hurlers. Minors are to young leaving there age group and asked to go into adult dressing rooms at 17/18, way outside there comfort zone, many of them don't really take to it there first year out of u17. The next year they are doing there leaving cert, leaving them way behind in there development and it is hard to get them back after this.

If they stayed together for that extra year it would make a massive difference to there development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭dzer2

What I heard is thar they would be allowed play senior but not with the top senior team I.e. they could play junior

• Advertisement

They're allowed play at any adult age group with no limitations.

Yeah I agree with you 100%! At the meeting last night there was each clubs delegate and another person from that cub and I think bar one delegate no one other than a member of Bord na Nog, who seemed to be very against the move, spoke out against the change! I'd be shocked if it doesn't go through and that it's back to even age grades for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Re na piarsaigh it's obvious up here that they're in decline, Doon should have beaten them in the semi final and they were missing a good few players. By the end of the club championship it may pan out that nobody else would have got closer than 4 to them. But having said that being at the match ballygunner were better than the 4 they won by.

Re the depth in limerick I would say there's 5 ( including cathal o neill) that will be starting championship matches soon enough some are names most outside of limerick wouldn't know.

Re the 2017 match between us and kilkenny I'm not quiet sure why you would have been so dismissive of limerick considering the age profile I counted 12 ( quick glance) including subs used that were either under 21 or just out of it. Kilkenny were an ageing team at a glance?

Appreciate that Lim in 2017 were a very young team, but (despite their success at U21 earlier in the year) I just didn’t see multiple AI wins that night, and let's be honest, I doubt anyone (Kiely included) did.

Their progress is the most successful one in GAA history of an underage group 2013-2014 minor) To mine that amount of serious senior players from such a condensed timeframe is simply astonishing. Only Offaly 86-89 could hold a candle to them in terms of converting a condensed group of good minors into a dozen serious senior hurlers.

I look at the respective trajectories of the 2014 AI minor hurling teams and scratch my head at just how divergent the paths. Two equally matched teams in terms of hurling but 9 years later, a chasm. Limerick clearly got it unbelievably right in terms of the preparation and development of that group, Kilkenny clearly got it wrong. If you detect my envy in the above, you’d be 100% correct.

But I don’t believe Lim will fade once that group has peaked. The senior set up is just incredible and seems to allow for players who weren’t stellar underage to thrive as senior hurlers.

Who (aside from CO'N) are the other four players we mightn’t have heard of you believe will break on to team this year? The reason I ask this, is that it augments my point, young players who many haven’t even heard of likely to replace some of the best hurlers in the country in 2024. The Lim senior setup is so good it can develop players who didn’t set the world alight at underage.

Agree also, that Na Piarsaigh probably fading, but they are still winning Lim senior handily, which again, is my point. Why are an average senior club team winning county titles in a county that is close to unbeatable at inter county level? Because the Lim senior set up is miles ahead of everyone else, having an average enough county club championship isn’t really a factor. Let the lads go back to their clubs for a few months and enjoy playing with their friends and families, good to keep them sharp and fit and hope they don’t get injured, but it doesn’t really have any bearing on what goes on inside the senior camp.

Note to PS and others, not interested in any Munster V Leinster bunfight in reply to above.

Kierans beat CBS in leinster U16 final today 3-21- 1-16. Johnstown and Good Counsel made up the last four, so 3.5 Kilkenny teams in A semis.

But it is the scorelines in schools hurling that are really catching my eye. 3-21 in an u16 match at the end of November?

Kierans put up 2-30 versus Good Counsel in senior last week, Flannans did 2-33 in Harty, also last week.

It again begs the question, is hurling just becoming too easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Kierans v CBS went to extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

You're basic premise is right. Limerick coaching is unbelievable and iv said it before it's partly the cross pollination from S&C from the rugby out in UL. The coaching is superb but then the players are very 'coachable'. Nobody has athletes like a Kyle Hayes or Hegarty or WOD. That size ,power and skill . Wod and Hayes aren't natural wristy hurlers of the old style ...Hegarty could play any stick game..Hayes could play any sport ..any sport and be professional. Its obviously the coaching and Kinnerk.

The sporting culture in Limerick doesn't let talent slip away. At least not now. Na Piarsaigh are in decline at senior but they are still top 5 in Ireland. Limerick will slip away again..as sure as anything. Limerick doesn't have the amount of players of a Cork or Tipp...and won't. Rugby is going nowhere in Limerick. Its the game of the city

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

It's schools hurling. I wouldn't be getting too excited about it. Kierans regularly win these competitions and the rest are the best of the rest yet Kilkenny haven't won a minor all Ireland in ten years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Kierans CBS was played in Nowlan Park on a grass pitch.

• Advertisement

A group stages schools game played in Nowlan Park? Spoiled rotten. Mostly 4g pitches at UL, Fethard, and Bishopstown in the Harty Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

It was a Leinster Junior final

Skill levels were never as high amongst younger players but they seem to struggle with the intensity of adult hurling imo. Not many younger players are putting there hand up at the minute in club hurling especially championship when the going gets tough, to many looking for "loose ball". Im not sure is it the early step up to adult hurling after u17 nowadays or society in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Yes, that's what the original post stated alright!

Never thought the final would be so early. How many teams is in it?

Junior (under 16.5) is always played before Xmas. 8 teams.

Same in Munster, although they moved to U17 this year I think.

It's crazy to think a lot of players playing Junior schools now will be overage to play Minor next year. The move to U17 for minor was just plain daft

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Fair enough and points well made and yes I certainly didn't see what was coming post 2017 either. I suppose kinnerk in a word but kiely certainly has to take credit for the structures and people he put in place.

Re the players I didn't say we'd see them in 2024 but of course we might too,

Adam English you'd have heard of, aidan o Connor apparently was burning it up in training all summer but didn't make a match day squad until all Ireland final, shane o brien who's very young yet but on panel and a lad called paddy o donovan who was on panel previously but I think he got injured and wasn't on panel this yr but hoping he'll be added.

Of course just cos they're fancied doesn't mean they'll make the step up but I think they can. Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Counties like Limerick will always produce good players but what came through in lads born in 1994 ( Byrnes, WOD, Hegarty, Richie English) 95 ( Darragh O'Donovan, Mike Casey) 96 ( Finn, Nash, Lynch, Tom Morrissey and Gillane) and 97 ( Flanagan and Peter Casey) is freakish stuff for a 4 year period, numerous generational players in that list.

Similar to kilkenny born between, 82 and 86. Tommy, JJ, Mick Fennelly, Cha, Richie Power, Eoin Larkin, TJ, Richie Hogan, and I am excluding 4 or 5 who were excellent also. Incredible talent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Wedger90

Any match report from Kierans vs CBS?

Advertisement