Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

There are a tiny number of far right agitators travelling around the country trying to link in with the protests. The media know this but still broadly label the protests and the locals as far right. It makes for more dramatic entertaining news reports I suppose but it is lies. The politicians of course hide behind these convenient lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No, the prsi increase is being used to fund pensions at 66 and increased jobseekers not to fund refugees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Well yeah. Standing outside centres to block access or screaming at people to get out, protesting outside where people are living is far right and racist

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Standing outside where people live, harassing people, screaming at them to get out, blocking people moving in is all far right racism.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think it's a bit more serious than that. Those who have investigated the phenomenon suspect it's these far right agitators who often initially organise the protests (via use of social media) but then try and pretend that the protests were organic and instigated by 'concerned locals'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Yes it’s inconceivable that local people could have concerns about large numbers of possibly very troubled young men from violent countries arrive in their locality. Without the influence of the Far Right, locals would have had the bunting out and the bonfires of welcome lit! They’d be as enthusiastic as the owners of disused hotels who have fairly put their shoulders to the wheel in this humanitarian effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

No, that is absolutely not true in the rural areas. I can’t speak for the Dublin protests but the rural ones are almost exclusively initiated by concerned locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The protesters in Killarney had a silent march. Great idea as it doesn't give the right wing extremists any platform.

🙈🙉🙊

I could actually well believe that. Certainly the protest in Inch, Co. Clare did look like it was organised by locals, ditto with the one in Fethard.

The ones in cities are a bit more dodgy though and very possibly have outside involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

There is also a danger of normalising the "far right."

Say it too often, to too many people, and the impact of the term is diluted.

Which is tragic when it genuinley deserves to be applied and people are immune to it.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf is forever relevant to us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

So what do you call busing in large groups of young men under darkness with no information before hand to the local community. Do you not think people are right to react and protest. Why is there no explanation as to why its all young males, why they are here and where they are from. And more importantly are any of them dangerous. What do you think.

Relocating undocumented young males under cover of night into unexpecting, unaware communities to me is more like right wing racism against Irish people

It's the Government’s tactics that is promoting a far right normalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭tom23

That’s the world we live in now. The NGO’s and their multiple representatives across discussion boards try to normalise it. But it’s down right frustrating when this happen in small towns and villages. How sustainable is it long term?

The PRSI increase will help people who have lost their jobs receive higher social welfare payments.

As long as they have contributed for at least 5 years, a person could more than double their welfare payments (vs todays rates) for the first 3 months following redundancy.

If SF get into power, you may be seeing a lot of takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Let's be real the privately influenced NGOs are in charge of government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You could probably count on one hand the number of real refugees coming here, most of them are economic migrants.

Sure even Michael McDowell who is a former Justice Minister said most of the stories they spin are BS.

yes they have a very big say. also worth a lot of money to them. They are very powerful and influential. You can spot the NGO’s a mile off on here. And it’s funny… 99% of the posters who discuss immigration here just want controlled immigration and to look like we have a handle on things. That’s my take anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭bloopy

Meanwhile, while we are busy calling farmers and local communities far right, the actual far right are celebrating another victory in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Geert Wilders becoming Dutch PM would be delicious no doubt.

Absolute teary eyed scenes in Guardian towers this evening

'French far right politician Marine Le Pen has congratulated Geert Wilders and the PVV"

"Their spectacular performance,” she said, “confirms the growing attachment to the defence of national identities”.

• Advertisement

I Don't believe that there is a massive rise in supporters of the far right.

But I do believe there is a massive rise in people starting to say enough is enough. The pi## taking has gone too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Yep. I don't think most of the voters for these parties are particularly far right. But because anybody who has doubts about unlimited immigration or is worried about certain cohorts of migrants is shouted down, where do they have left to turn? Most people exist somewhere in the middle of the two extremes but nobody is listening to them.

Terry Pratchet

The far right in every country pretty much have being anti-immigration as the central plank of their manifesto though. It's not as if they have a lot of radical policies covering a whole range of subjects - immigration control is their main focus (they are obsessed with the idea of the main ethnic grouping in their country being 'diluted' by admitting too many outsiders).

well i’m glad I’ve lightened up the mood!

Id agree with this.

But what other choices do people have. Its the Government’s in these countries like our own who are making ordinary people vote for right wing parties.

I myself welcome immigration if it is properly controlled and enforced and the immigrants themselves are here to add to society.

So voting for the same again and the government not changing is just going to let the free for all continue, so I myself might vote for a far right party if only to say enough is enough.

Far Right Party expected to win the most seats in Dutch elections tonight.

There is clearly a far right upsurge across Europe and I think its more than reasonable to say that all these people, the continent over, cannot all be outright racists and extremists.

There is too much "them and us" Left Vs Right.

Where is the empathy on either side to strive for a command ground.

Thats the sad part, to me at least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement