Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hmm, I see what you mean, quite a long distance without a passing loop.

Really, every station should have a passing loop, is that a reasonable statement?

So that would mean one for Sixmilebridge.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,076 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A passing loop at Sixmilebridge would make a huge difference - it allows much more flexibility in operations on the railway line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Economics101

Maybe this is slightly off-topic, but only to illustrate how much space is wasted on peripheral issues . To-day's Irish Times has a wonderfully eccentric letter on the use of canals for freight.

I wish more energy could be devoted to really strategically important issues like mainline rail capacity enhancement and electrification.

Canals? Why not bring back horse transport? After all horses don't burn diesel, shthought I gather that have some significant tailpipe emissions. 😁

The guy is from Maynooth. There's a perfectly good rail line beside the Royal Canal already. Surely it would be much easier to just use that when passenger trains are not running. They are already talking about doubling the track as far as Mullingar as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

If you look at it this way:

Assuming 80km/h average speed on a rural line, a 20km gap between loops restricts the line to one train every 30 minutes in each direction. This is massively restrictive once you build timetables on top of that, or account for any delays.

Ennis to Limerick is 40km distance and takes 40minutes, so a speed of 60kmph. That's one train in each direction every 1hr 20minutes.

The greenway moves a step closer

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

I know someone who was promoting the reopening north of Atheny. He has a business that the trackbed goes through. He was lying all along and told me that if/when it came to the WRC reopening that he "and hundreds of people" would stop it.

This is the thing about the WRC, the people who say they want it and live along its course don't want it at all in many cases.

• Advertisement

The canals in Ireland are nothing like the freight ones in Europe which are really wide like the Manchester Ship Canal in England. Our canals are tiny. "Diesel-hungry trains" - this is typical of these Climate Psychotics in Ireland a lot of them don't like or have no interest in railways. They are not friends to people who care about rail development in this country and demonstrate this constantly.

Post edited by ArcadiaJunction on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Westernview

That's positive and consistent from Ryan. Facilitating the greenway while ensuring allowance for both. He has said all along that he could support the greenway providing it doesn't impact the rail line.

The mention of a decision in 2024 will hopefully lead to work on the ground commencing before too long.

I don't get what you mean there. Why would that business person lie about initially wanting it open but then oppose it? If they were lying initially how can you believe anything they say now? Doesn't make sense to me.

Why would you promote something you didn't want? It doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They want the money and the funding and then derail the initial project and channel it into other things. Usually roads.

🤦‍♂️

What utter nonsense. Thats not how it works

Perhaps I'm in the wrong thread, but is there any sign of the first train into Galway being made longer?

It's packed, rammed.

It's a 2-car 2800 DMU.

Are all 2800 series used every morning?

Any chance of any of the 41 new ICR being put onto this service?

Can a 2800 and an ICR be coupled?

You can't couple an ICR and a 2800 for passenger service. That's madness.

There aren't 41 new ICRs, just 41 intermediate carriages added to existing sets. 14 for Connolly services and 27 for Heuston services, approx.

• Advertisement

I don’t know where you are getting that Connolly / Heuston split from, but given there has been no public indication from the railway company of how they will be allocated, I’d take it with a grain of salt until we see what happens when all of the sets are reformed next year and some cascades happen across the network.

From someone working on the project. Like I said, approximate figures. They were also supposed to be introduced with the new time table in December, but January is the new date being mentioned. Still seems a little soon perhaps.

Until we see the lie of the land next year (probably during the summer) when the ICR sets are all reformed, and a new timetable announced, it’s impossible to give a clear answer of how they will be distributed in terms of new services and cascades of stock.

Of course there's no clear answer yet. That doesn't mean they aren't following some sort of plan. I don't think they'll wait another 13 months!!

I didn’t say 13 months.

The plan is for another new timetable to be introduced when all of the sets are reformed, which will likely be next summer.

Will all 41 be used to lengthen existing ICR sets?

Or will the extra 41 cars allow the creation of new sets?

Somebody should send RTE down to cover the first train into Galway city!!!

• Advertisement

The additional 41 intermediate cars will allow the existing five car sets be restored to six-car, some 4 car sets to six-car, and some 3-car sets to 4-car.

That will mean that some services which are currently formed using two trains will be able to use one which will free up a certain number of sets for extra services, but where they will be used remains to be seen.

In the meantime there are no spare trains sitting around, so complaining about isn’t going to change anything. As I said it’ll be next summer before you see changes happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The feasibility study for the Quiet Man Greenway (Athenry to Milltown) has been published.

Its 120 pages and goes into lot of detail, so I've gone through the options and mapped the assessment ratings for the criteria into a table pictured below. I think its safe to safe its glaringly obvious what the best option is

I haven't gone through that in depth but am I right in saying that the report is aimed at finding the the easiest and cheapest way of putting in a greenway with a railway of secondary concern?.

"its glaringly obvious what the best option is" You haven't said what you think the best option is but Im guessing its option 1 based on that table and your past contributions. Option 1 will of course be the preferred option if a decision was made not to build the railway. Just as option 1 for a online railway would make most sense if it was a report focusing on building a railway with greater priority than a greenway.

Whats glaringly obvious is that any of the options could be valid depending on what the government wants to do.

• Advertisement

Its a greenway feasibility study. the feasibility of the rail service is outside the scope in the same way the rail review did not assess greenways.

Either way, its easy to resolve. 2 things are needed

1. Govt to set a date for implementation of new rail services on WRC phase 2 (won't be this side of 2040, lets say 2040 for arguments sake)
    2. IE to grant a lease until that date for a greenway

Or, ya know, just leave it to rot and not provide any benefit to the local communities for another few decades

By the time the lease is expiring and a new rail service being implemented, there would be services and infrastructure and a wide range of economic benfit already established so the greenway could be moved to an alongside option at that stage.

Personally I couldn't give a toss what option is chosen, just build the farking thing. If the anoraks want to keep looking at rusty rails, let them off

1. Govt to set a date for implementation of new rail services on WRC phase 2 (won't be this side of 2040, lets say 2040 for arguments sake)

I agree with the first part of that point, pressure needs to be applied to get a commitment on a date. I can't agree or disagree with the arbitray 2040 number as no one knows at this time how soon it will happen.

2. IE to grant a lease until that date for a greenway.

No problem with that if it was known when the WRC would be built. A greenway first is fine if the WRC is pushed back. Again dates and commitments are needed.

For some bizarre reason though, it suits some of the anoraks more to have no date so I expect none to be forthcoming

I share your frustration with the lack of action either way. I'm hoping that any announcement delays are due to the government trying to genuinely prioritise resources and budgets in response to recent inflation. But of course this is Ireland and behind the scenes politics, government in-fighting and lack of commitment is sadly more likely the cause of stalement.

About 20 years back WoT were asked to take part in a National Rail Development conference various groups were organising. The eh, 'Opus Dei' elements of WoT in Clairemorris told every other group in the country to nicely get lost and that they were not to encroach upon their gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Testcard

Regarding that table purporting to be a summary of the feasibility study, I have some straw out in the barn that needs to be spun into gold…

That table is literally taking the assessment results from the feasibility study, feel free to review the document yourself and point out anywhere which I faked anything, otherwise stick it where the sun don't shine. The table simply condensed about 20-30 pages of info into a 1 page summary table

I missed that quote ultimately ruling out option 1. Just saw references to the report dependent on the final AIRR which seemed less definitive. Guess it amounts to the same thing anyway. Hope they persevere with option 2 which I've been leaning towards as the most sensible option anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I don’t understand, surely it was known that a Greenway project would have to work with Iarnrod Eireann to acquire the land whether directly on or alongside? Why is that a game changing surprise?

• Advertisement

It's not, which is strange. In every case, IE lease the land with conditions applied should a line be scheduled for reopening. Why this was not stated is beyond me

I don't get it either. Is the report really saying that for the greenway to operate on or beside the line that the land had to be purchased outright from IE? That makes no sense to me.

The quote in the article that the rail report has 'gazumped' the greenway report is very strange. They had a number of months to incorporate the AIRR draft recommendations.

Wth 75k spent on that report it seems there are questions to be answered.

Not really, it does enough to string things along without any commitment or firm opinion.

The AIRR final draft will do the same.

And the rails will keep rusting for a few more decades because that's a better result than community use according to the anoraks

Without firm opinion? You presented its findings yesterday as being clear on the best option. Subsequent basic analysis has already led to a lot of question marks over it. Or are you referring to the initial AIRR Draft

I dont know who these anoraks are that you refer to. Nobody in favour of either a greenway or rail line or both (Im in that grouping) is suggesting that decades of unused rails is desirable.

When you stack up the options beside each other, it's plain as day which is the best option.

That option, however, has been ruled out by the study by ignoring the lease strategy that IE has for greenways on its unused lines.

Shenanigans if you ask me

I think you jumped the gun citing that report. Its either credible or its not. We didn't need it at all to know a greenway only on the line is the cheapest option so for 75k I'm not sure what the point of it was.

I think when the greenway report commenced (few years ago?) the strong belief was that the AIRR would reject the WRC and that would pave the way to buy the land. Option 1 was the goal. Other options just listed as a box ticking exercise. Once the AIRR came out they probably had the budget and resources exhausted and they then just threw the whole thing up in the air and that reflects the report conclusions. The failure to incorporate the lease option was inexcusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The greenway feasibility study is just part of the game that has to be played. Greenway on the former rail line is the preferred option but there is too much delusion around trains for that to be accepted. Of course the other options were just box ticking but without that, there would be people complaining "they didn't even consider x" and that it's all a stitch up.

The AIRR doesn't change anything. The rail line opening is still decades away, it doesn't even have a Business Case for it to be progressed as a project. It would then have to get through design and planning and be allocated hundreds of millions € for construction. Even then, the lines on either end are extremely limited so they also need significant investment (therefore more design/planning time and big funds) before a meaningful level of service could be provided.

What's your issue with "failure to incorporate the lease option"? Surely all that does is further strengthen the case for Option 1 which was already the clear preferred option. I assume they took for buying out the alignment to avoid certain people complaining that a greenway under a lease would be effectively ending the chance of future rail return anyway. It didn't change the order of preference so better to assume worst case scenario.

"The greenway feasibility study is just part of the game that has to be played..."..."Of course the other options were just box ticking"

Seriously? And there was me thinking a 75k government funded report should assess options correctly before arriving at its conclusion (which was likely to be option 1). And you think people wont think it's a stitch up and wont complain when the report is a fraud? Doesn't seem like they played that "game" very well does it?

"It would then have to get through design and planning and be allocated hundreds of millions € for construction. Even then, the lines on either end are extremely limited so they also need significant investment (therefore more design/planning time and big funds) before a meaningful level of service could be provided."

That's nonsense the line is shovel ready. The Limerick-Athenry didnt take decades. It's political will that will either progress it or not progress it. Roads and rail investment takes 'millions of pounds'. The WRC will be only a small percentage of the overall capital budget as Ive said to you many times. Lets cancel everything that costs money in that case.

What's your issue with "failure to incorporate the lease option"? Surely all that does is further strengthen the case for Option 1 which was already the clear preferred option.

No issue with it if they wanted the aim to get a greenway to fail. The most likely way to progress it was to work with Irish Rail under a lease agreement as DaCor and intellectual dosser have stated above. Trying to buy a railway outright to stop "certain people complaining" (whoever they are) instead of a more realistic leasing solution makes no sense. I don't think many or any cyclists would be travelling along the route grumbling that its only leased, once the facility was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Decades

Without local pressure, the Greenway Feasibility Study might not have been published at all. It was completed more than 18 months ago. it would probably have been binned or lost or slipped down a crack somewhere. It has been rendered utterly useless. Without the AIRR the campaigners could have walked into Galway County Council and said - "there you are now, negotiate a lease, draw down the €300k design and scope funding and get on with it." That simply can't happen now - Gazumped.

• Advertisement

If it's true that it was completed over 18 months ago then that backs up what I was saying - that it has the appearance of been done at a time when it looked like the railway may not proceed and option 1 was the only show in town.

You'd have to wonder though how they could be so confident of this and that Irish Rail would sell the land.

Advertisement