Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Shout out to the wa****r in the white van who decided to cut the corner at a rural junction this morning at 6:35am and nearly wipe me out of it.

It was going to be head on, I swerved, I took the wing mirror in the forearm managed to stay on the bike. Cnut didn't even stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Be right back

If you know the road there are two exits for Carrigaline where I guess he wanted to go.. If he had stayed behind the lorry he would have still have made the turn. I thought it was crazy to be cycling where he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Same. Almost every driver has had one of those incidents, it just seems that a hell of a lot of drivers don't take any message/ lesson away from the experience, certainly judging by the reactions when they're pulled up on it. Like Cram, if someone seems genuinely remorseful/ apologetic I'm happy to let things pass without lecturing/ confrontation etc as we've all been there. But so many people just act as though it's ultimately your fault for existing in their space.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sorry, that's another incidences of him looking for something for me. Its shite cycling by him. He has form for it. He gets loads of dangerous passes but he's definitely guilty of absolutely putting himself in positions where he thinks he should be given priority when he absolutely has none

I totally agree. What was he thinking? Putting himself in that position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I agree - right or wrong, he was insane to put himself in that position.

There is something to be said about the truck driver too. He should have just left the space for the cyclist to cut back in. Even if you disagree with the actions of a cyclist, the driver shouldn't put his vehicle in a position that makes a bad situation worse. Any deviation or wobble, and the cyclist could be under the truck's wheels.

Poor cycling and poor driving, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

There is no way that could be considered safe cycling he's lucky he didn't end up under the wheel of the truck you simply do not deliberately put yourself in a place with no escape plus regardless of whether or not they should have seen and been aware him I bet the truck and car driver did not know he was there until very late any change in road position by either of them could have been fatal, neither and I wouldn't either, expect a cyclist to be splitting the lane like that on my outside!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cyclist overtook with oncoming traffic, it was beyond stupid. The driving is poor but 100%, everything that happened there is the cyclists fault. It just beggars belief. It's no different than the small mickey stuff you see when someone gets overtaken on the motorway and they make a point of getting that overtake back when there simply was no rhyme or reason for it.

There's no logic to why he put himself in that dangerous position.. Beyond stupid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He's a self entitled arsehole.

Boo mod warning to myself

But that's very much my opinion. I genuinely think he does more harm for cyclists than anything and some of the stuff he voluntarily shows makes me go wow, he has absolutely no sense of self awareness.

He's a very good bike handler going by some.of his videos but roadcraft and common sense are bereft in many of his videos. I'd dread to think of what he chooses not to show

• Advertisement

I think he was pissed that the lorry passed him out and was determined to pass him back out. Some of his responses on twitter..🫣

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I've seen him a few times around Cork while I've been cycling or driving, it's very strange. He does repeated loops of the streets where he tends to experience incidents, in traffic loiters very close to the drivers side of cars peering into the window as if he's looking for something to take issue with. Clearly that antagonises some drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

In Every….One…Of…His….Videos…it begins with him taking the lane to try to prevent any overtaking. It gives the strong impression that he rides in that position at all times. Whilst every cyclist can agree that it’s necessary to take the lane at times, it’s not appropriate to do it all of the time.

Clearly drivers behind him get frustrated at his antics, this leads to very poor driving, and he “wins” more clicks for his videos, which seem to be the aim of the whole thing.

Totally agree that his contribution is not a positive for the advancement of cycling.

Have to disagree with you on taking the lane. After 2 very, VERY close calls within a few minutes of each other, I now only ever place myself bang in the middle of the lane.

Regardless of the location or road type, makes zero difference, I'm in the middle of the lane

Previously I would have had multiple close passes a day which are now at the level of less than 1 a month.

Far safer way to travel.

Do I get beeped, sure, do I care, not a jot

Your doing it for safety, he is doing it for clicks. There is a difference, and he does pull in, but from what I see, only to get annoyed that he has been cut off. Personally, it depends on the road and situation for me. In the town/city, it's almost always take the lane. On the N25 with a decent quality hard shoulder, I don't have to but I will stay in the hard shoulder, only come out of it to overtake tractors/pedestrians, or coming upto a junction. If I indicated to come out, some will pull out to allow, some will slow to allow, some won't but it's rare to get boxed in for more than a few seconds. It is so incredibly rare to get the interactions that he does with lorries and I meet loads every day. There is a truck stop for overnights beside my house, down rural back roads, never have any of them had an issue waiting behind while I'm on my commute. I get more trouble from inattentive school runs in D4 in one morning than I get in a year of out of town cycling. Everyone's mileage will vary but he could make his life easier, but it wouldn't make for good footage. Alot of times he is 100% right, but unfortunately, alot of other times the situation is entirely of his own making. Like anywhere though, there is enough people ready to rise to it. In no way am I excusing the drivers he interacts with either, often completely ignorant and not the way I would drive, and shows that it is completely possible for both parties to be 100% in the wrong and both think they are 100% in the right.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Had a nasty incident last night around 8:20 coming through Liffey Valley and taking the roundabout towards Lucan. Grey Merc with no lights on entered the roundabout behind me crazy close, beeping their horn and then floored it and overtook and left hooked me down towards Fonthill. A couple of drivers stopped to see if I was okay.

My camera’s battery was flat so didn’t capture it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Schorpio

'Buzzed' again this morning by a van driver who got on their horn as they passed. (Apologies for the language, but it really made me jump).

To matters worse, it's a dual carriageway with nothing at all in the right-hand lane. They could have safely passed with ease.

As per usual, they make no progress either - racing up to the red light where I catch up anyway. I could have passed them again, but it wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

He's in some rush to get around that black car at the end of the video too, absolute knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Not a near miss, but a cyclist knocked down two runners tonight outside our estate. Two ambulances brought runners to hospital.

Please be careful out there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had a near miss last night on Tubber Lane as I travelled from Hazelhatch towards Lucan. I turned a bend on this narrow lane and a spotted a woman walking ahead on the LHS (and walking away from me 🙄). Called out "bicycle on your right", she turned, saw me and then for whatever reason moved straight into my path. Wet rim brakes pulled hard and managed to avoid her but only just.

(The woman was in black clothes but yet with my bike lights I still managed to see her in plenty of time!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭standardg60

Tbh i'd have said nowt and just passed them, calling out to someone from behind unexpectedly they could do anything.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

See, we know you are lying.

There's no way you could have seen her with bike lights when motorists can't see anyone dressed in black even with full beams

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Whenever I meet pedestrians who are walking in the cycle lane next to the footpath they always, no matter what, double down and keep to the cycle lane. It’s like they are allergic to the footpath. I’ve tried to modify my position, dismount, point, even stopped and asked why they do it and I’m non the wiser.

One evening recently I was coming home and there was a woman and her teenage daughter walking in the cycle lane with their back to me. I rang my bell well in advance and let my free hub rattle as I slowed right down. As soon as I said “excuse me” the daughter moved to the footpath but her mother grabbed her arm and pulled her back into the cycle lane. WTF? 🤷‍♂️

It's a panic reaction as you may know what you've said or plan to do but they have seconds to react and don't. If the option is there, hop onto the road or slow down to walking pace, otherwise just stop until their reaction is clear. If you can move to the road or give them loads of space, don't call out anything at all.

On your right seems to get misheard as move right so many times, I'd only say it to a rider I'm on a spin with or actually, in a race with.

No different than when I am driving and I meet a cyclist or a pedestrian, if I have to come to a dead stop to be sure, so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

People definitely seem to have an instinct reaction to move into the path of whatevers coming behind them anyway. Notice it all the time when I'm jogging and go to pass someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I just shout out BIKE when I see yet another person out walking with no lights, high viz or anything really; or walking a dog with a lead or often no lead!

Generally they grab the dog and make sure they don't lunge for me. But sometimes a chase ensues.

I think I found the winner for near misses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

That's crazy. A winner if that's the right word

The 2 incidents I've had in the last 5 years have both involved overtaking through junctions.

Once, car overtaking me hit a car pulling out of a junction.

The second was better. Car overtakes me then 2 cars in a row overtake him. As they do this through a junction a fella cokes out of the junction. All 3 cars kinda end stuck in eachother in the ditch

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My favourite bit is when they tell us about all the invisible cyclists that they saw.

Lookit, don't be chasing the dogs, it's not fair on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Heard a dad joke today "Why do you never see elephants hiding in trees?" "Because they're so good at it" and it reminded me of all those invisible cyclists in black.

Advertisement