Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I have some magic beans for sale in you're interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Totally agree, but this hasn't just happened over night. It's been coming along time now and could of been avoided if governments had shown a little bit of common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Well political parties generally don't go into granular detail...

Granular detail? - I'm not moaning about them saying they'll build 12 new cycle lanes and then they build 14

He invited millions of people to come to Ireland in Albanian, Arabic, French, Somali, Urdu and Georgian languages - He asked, and they came...in their droves - I remember he expressed some surprise at the "dramatic" rise of the numbers arriving - what a cabbage!

So this "Granular detail" item that they failed to mention pre the 2020 GE, has cost the taxpayer 100's of millions of Euro's (if not billions) to date and will change Ireland forever...but it's just a tiny little grain is it? - Oh right

And of course the other two big lads in there were just fine with all of this - They can't absolve themselves from this shambles, not by a long shot. They are just as culpable as the Greens - Then, to add insult to injury, FG puts the chronically incompetent Helen McEntee into Justice (for the look) and she proceeds to lose total control of our borders as thousands arrive every month (with 500 of those arriving p/m, trashing their passports/docs)

It's borderline treason imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭tom23

a front door in four months next to a cycle lane. good man Roddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's fair enough, though I suspect such parties are at a disadvantage in Ireland. Countries like the UK, Netherlands and Germany (each of which where the far right are doing well) are all former colonial powers. Our history as a country that was colonised and very badly treated in the process gives us a different perspective on the whole immigration / emigration thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

What is really lacking in this country is a political party to stand up and just say, and which is common sense, there are no more places.

Will we get this? I don't know but it looks like the first time I(and family) will have never voted in our lives(because there's no representation and therefore democracy if that's not offered).

Edit: if FFG change their tune, I don't care, they will never get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Democracy is and has been challenged already…

the majority of people in this country wanted and want limits on help for the Ukraine and Ukrainians but what did our politicians tell us ? No limits to those arriving and they are entitled to everything a citizen is and more besides.

that isn’t democracy.

that’s political bully boy carry on….

from the outset we were told what’s happening, not asked…

not wishing to discuss that situation in this thread just using it as an example of how undemocratic politics can become.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭US3

Conor McGregor telling his 10 million followers go stop and forigen men moving in to buildings and to 'evaporate' any building planned to house them

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭scottser

Some people think that all of their woes are due to immigrants. They think that they can't find somewhere to live, or get their kids into a school, or their tax is too high, or they have to pay more back to the state is all because there is a concerted effort by the WEF to undermine their lovely Irish identity or somesuch bollix.

The real problem is that the government they voted for is screwing them. There isn't a 'housing crisis'. Its a deliberate ploy to generate profits for the government and its chosen investors and partners. It's policy, and its working very nicely for them. Homelessness? You can bet they're making a profit but while it would be easier and cheaper to house everyone, the anti-immigrants get bogged down in entitlements. Its simple divide and conquer and the suckers lap it up every time.

What people don't realise is that the state gives you everything. It even gives your stupid opinion a validation it doesn't deserve, gives you the chance to bite that feeds. I'm more interested in those that give than those who take and the anti-immigrant voices are simply those who refuse to share and forget the start we all got - education, housing and health care. Start cherry picking who is more entitled is nothing more than a race to the bottom. Anti-immigrant protesters call themselves 'patriots' but they're just begrudging bastards, who will happily sell everybody's rights away and call for a more autocratic government while waving a Daily Mail in your face. Packacuntz is all they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem we have is the world is not in a good place.

Israel vs Palestine

Russia vs The Ukraine

Many parts of Africa are in an absolute jocker, wars, famine, violence in general, civil rights issues..

climate change beginning to cause massive issues in Africa and other places

the problem is millions of people with these issues in these places see Europe as a viable alternative, a comparative paradise… and they are right to.

EU and us, EU citizens cannot be the global lifeboat. We’ve been that for long enough…there are not the resources, it’s not fair on EU citizens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Conor McGregor standing up for safety and security, The same Conor McGregor with all the numerous allegations about violence and abuse. 😶

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

It all comes from the same government pot.

We keep getting told we are a rich country, yet here we are increasing tax, it's impossible to get a doctor in the depths of winter and every school up and down the country needs to ask for donations each year.

The disdain they have for spending our money is insane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Honestly I think we were really good at centerism here and actually looking at things on their merits.

Social media, and the media haven't helped, but the biggest push to divide has come from politicians themselves calling everyone far right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Weren't too fooking concerned about the 200e odd people were getting after the financial crash with mass unemployment. Now all a sudden with full employment they get all mushy. Yes it was a different government but hey

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You look at Denmark though and the leading party there are the Social Democrats who are also anti immigration, and likely won cos of that. I think it's clear to me it's the anti immigration stance that is winning the "far-right" parties support.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭slay55

Delighted for the Nederlands, amazing news !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Towns and areas that have been planted with these people will quickly realise how undemocratic the country has become after the local elections.

The modus operandi of the NGOs, their cheerleaders and benefactors, is to mobilise as many votes as possible from the planted migrants and replace the local councillors that are now highlighting the insanity of this.

Its music to their ears to say you won't vote(you can see this tactic frequently being employed by certain posters on this thread) , and you would be much better served getting involved in your area with any candidate that is showing opposition to this .

It will be the number one issue on the doors in the coming elections..and you can be certain that if you think this whole thing has become a circus... your not alone. Despite their desperation to "control the narrative", make that vote count.

Post edited by _Puma_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

People need to talk to their politicians at the door. Deciding not to vote is what the political parties want.

When you see a freeze in the HSE budget, not enough funds for cancer medication and unlimited numbers allowed to come here from safe countries,no documents it is really frustrating. When will it end? The word is out and out politicians are allowing it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

I know people will say religion, power, money, greed etc. Is at the heart of most of these warn torn countries. But if you look at countries which are stable and peaceful, they tend to have low birth rates eg. Northern & western europe, Japan, Australia, Thailand, Canada, US and some south american countries.

Arab and Africa countries populations are exploding year on year. Too many people leads to one thing: not enough resources to support the citizens, which leads to little jobs, no money, poor quality of life, poor education or none, joining terrorist gangs to make some money and just to have something to do, and lots of corruption as its the only way to.make decent money.

I'd like to see the western nations, UN, NGO's etc. focus on women as I believe they hold the key to long term peace and prospertiy. Birth control no. 1, then education and rights. Pull back funding unless they give women rights, alliw them access to education, birth control etc.

If they have education, equal right or part equal, and dont have 8 kids to feed, they will work, contribute, the popluation will reduce and be under control. Less young men hanging around doing nothing all day is the end goal.

It will take generations for this to happen, but look at Ireland .. we did it. How many of us had grandmothers who had 8, 10, or 14 kids with no money to feed them. How many of us had or have mothers who had 6 or 8 kids with very little money, could just about feed and cloth them. We had so many young men on the dole or emigrating for work. What changed ? Birth control (+ catholic church's loss of power), education and womens right. Once the world modernized, Ireland was a modern educated country on a level playing field making it attractive to foregien investors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Unless you have a candidate proposing a significant change in policy to threaten to move your vote to they're just going to feign a sympathetic ear and fob you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

It's alright saying if you don't vote your playing into the government hands but what other options is there. As far as I can see whoever you vote for in this country is just supporting these same issues and policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Without a shadow of a doubt. The reason the far right parties play up the anti-immigration thing is because they know it is a surefire vote winner. I wouldn't imagine other far right talking points like net zero or trans rights or support for Israel would be anywhere near as popular, which is why they go all in on the immigration / refugee part of their manifesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

it's called Regulatory Capture, and is defined thus:

"In politicsregulatory capture (also called agency capture) is a form of corruption of authority that occurs when a political entity, policymaker, or regulator is co-opted to serve the commercial, ideological, or political interests of a minor constituency, such as a particular geographic area, industry, profession, or ideological group.[1][2]"

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

"Towns and areas that have been planted with these people will quickly realise how undemocratic the country has become after the local elections.

The modus operandi of the NGOs, their cheerleaders and benefactors, is to mobilise as many votes as possible from the planted migrants and replace the local councillors that are now highlighting the insanity of this.

Its music to their ears to say you won't vote(you can see this tactic frequently being employed by certain posters on this thread) , and you would be much better served getting involved in your area with any candidate that is showing opposition to this ."

Yes they push the line that anyone who is resident can vote, but don't define resident.

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1726656117449875854

There is a definition for tax purposes. "If you have been tax resident in Ireland for three consecutive tax years, you become ordinarily resident from the beginning of the fourth tax year."

But one thing I would say is definitely check the register and make sure that the powers that be haven't removed you from the register.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, most of the other far right items I'd assume are much less popular. Things like being anti-abortion, anti LGBT rights, blanket support for Israel and Russia etc are very unlikely to have a large mass behind them. I think a lot now from what I see are supportive of stricter border controls though, considering the way Europe has gone and going. Whatever about actual skilled migration, I don't think any country needs more welfare recipients or people working jobs that they are very unlikely to be paying tax in. That group are just a net loss to society imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I've mentioned it before that I'm surprised that FF are not modifying their tune a bit and appealing to what is growing Irish public disquiet. I say FF as they are the most obvious party to be able to retune their narrative on immigration issues currently. FG have been in too long and up to their elbows. SF are a mystery and anyway their policies more rotate around internal border issues with directions from the north.

If I was in FF and I'm not, I'd be repositioning the narrative - there's a lot of votes out there to be attracted with the right messaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gamergurll

The anti-abortion and Lbgt stance is exactly why I wouldn't want to vote for a right wing party, but with the mainstream lot what choice is there? FFG and certainly Sinn Fein will not be getting my vote that's for certain

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭ECookie13

What irritates me is how anything to the right of the left, is now "Far Right". You'd swear all these mouthy far-left & leftists have no idea what the Far Right actually is. Even Centrists get abuse now from Leftists for "sitting on the fence" and not caring about their country apparently, but if they move a bit right then they are labelled fascists, racists and are basically Hitler. I think most know that some of the REAL Far Right agendas are not great, such as anti-abortion, but it's all lumped in one to berate you with by the Left.

Just look at that bizarre, strange echo chamber Ireland subreddit for a prime example. You get drowned out if you disagree and torrents of abuse by all the leftists there. You worry about Ireland with these people voting, not to mention Leo's scummy announcement this week.

In 10 years it will be a "told ya so" epiphany for 99% of those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

What would be a few policies you do want from a party?

Advertisement