Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If they ant to use the LOI as a pathway for developing coaches for the national team (like maybe for Duff in th future) then it needs to be done by bringing them in from the LOI to first to coach in the underage ranks and working their way up to the senior team

Wasn't that pretty much tried exactly with Brian Kerr?

Think the success or otherwise of the coach of the national team is going to continue to be heavily influenced by the caliber of player available. And our average club level for the players who make up the team has been dropping consistently for the last 30 years. From being big players at big premier league clubs to fringe players at lower level premier league clubs to non-spectacular players at championship level clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭cullenswood

A lot of the non top tier countries are made up of players that play at those levels. The Championship is still a very high level....in the past the Premier League wouldn't have had the amount of players from outside of Britain and Ireland so it makes sense that more of them could play at the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Kerr had experience of international football with all the underage teams he was coaching for Ireland for years so he had served a proper apprenticeship .Ireland were at least competitive under Kerr and got some decent results.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

He was also much less of a spoofer than Kenny, and came across much better in his media performances. In fairness though he did have much better players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Kerr had a set of players that would piss all over our current squad. At least have a bit of context to what you're saying.

• Advertisement

He did have a better squad, but Kenny has made the current group look an awful lot worse than they are.Almost all of our players now are with clubs in the premier league and top half of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Tough draws are the norm now with our seeding and world ranking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Again you're lacking context. Bar Evan Ferguson, the rest of our PL players are playing for some of the worst PL teams we've ever seen. Our players aren't good and their clubs/status at those clubs shows that.

Kenny not having the team playing as well as they can or above themselves is a different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Kenny never accepts any responsibility for the dismal results and performances served up during his tenure. Always an excuse or throwing the players under the bus. That's one thing but then to be throwing dirt at previous managers and having ready made lines like never beating a top sead away from home thing and how hard it is.

We all know it's not easy to beat teams like that away from home but we've managed wins against Austria, Wales and France in recent years. And we've had very decent draws. Let's not forget, Kenny hasn't picked up a single away from home against the top 2 seeds in any Nation's League or qualification group. That's 0 out of a possible 24 points. Even against the 4th seeds in our groups, he's only picked up 4 points out of 12 away from home.

He's an absolute embarrassment and I can't wait till he's sacked now. The players aren't as bad as made out. It is hard to judge them at international level because they've had such an incompetent manager in charge. The problem is that the FAI are completely useless and cash strapped. Doesn't lead to having much optimism for the next appointment.

But being on the worst premier league teams today are better than playing on a mid-table team 20 years ago considering the squashing of talent into the top leagues compared to the past. People arguing our team was so good in the 80's we had players winning titles with Liverpool ,Everton,Arsenal forget that back in the day the English league consisted solely of all the best players in UK and Ireland, now it consists of the best players from around the world.

We may not have the best selection of players we've ever had, but Kenny has made them look a hell of a lot worse than they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Of which Kenny takes a large share of the blame. Doing awful in the nations league etc, watching the ranking plummet.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Is Michael McCarthy Clare or a Dub? Confused

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Subscriptions must be tanking, Red78 pod appeared in my feed, had totally forgotten about it. Turns out it was half the episode and said to subscribe to listen to rest. I really think this was a bad move.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If it was going so well would they be releasing pods free (outside of 3 free ones) to try get you in and to subscribe. I fell the whole way it was done and the price has been a balls up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I've heard him mention he supports Clare hurlers a few times although dorsn't sound like he's from there. He's some dose though, i tuned in from 19.00 - 19.15 tonight and i had to turn off with his overbearing waffle and incredibly annoying laugh at absolutley nothing.

Thinking it was Thursday i turned it back on at 19.30 expecting to hear John Giles as that's about the only thing i tune into on a weekly basis (and the Saturday football show) but it was someone talking about the Katie Taylor fight which i didn't know was on this Saturday and have no interest in anyway. I immediately switched it off permanently for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I think he's from Dublin but 1 or both of his parents are originally from Clare hence the link, same with John Duggan he's a Dub with a Clare father and Limerick mother so seems to support Dublin in football and Clare in hurling like Michael McCarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ya Football pod appeared in mine yesterday and they said they will have a Monday pod free and the other behind the paywall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

Watched some of OTB AM yesterday for the first time in months. Just my luck that the producer, Boohig was co-presenting. He's bloody horrendous. Sheahan looked like he wished he'd stayed in Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭scottser

Listening to Johnny Giles is a bit of a car crash nowadays. Its like NT keep him on as a charity case because he offers little insight into the game. He really should just hang it up at this stage.

• Advertisement

Saw some short clip on youtube where Richie McCormack seems to be trying to make us all feel sorry for Stephen Kenny now and how his departure was handled.

Kenny was getting paid €500k per annum , he's pretty much set for life now financially and and you might feel some degree of sympathy for Kenny if he wasn't so whiny and tried to blame everyone else bar himself for the team being so rubbish . The fact that the media in general have been so protective of Kenny shows that deep down they know he's not very good and never was good enough because if they thought he had the requisite qualifications to be the manager they wouldn't be so patronizing towards him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Anyone hear David Connolly last Sun afternoon he was hilariously bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Giles is poor nowadays and has been for 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Richie was very grumpy this evening and as for the clown from Clare he just wants everyone to move on and kenny is still hard done by .the fanboys in otb are gutted that they’ve been found out again

Absolute farce over the last few days. Kenny was a complete and utter failure and they are still making excuses. Cancelled the subscription after listening to that sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Musicrules

The problem is that these Kenny supporters will be out in force if/when we get bad results with our next manager. Some will actually hope it goes wrong for them. It really has been a poisonous few years following Ireland and listening to the absolute crap of how great Kenny was doing despite what we were seeing with our own eyes. Well we're now down to 60th in the World rankings, some of our best emerging players in a generation have been brought into a losing culture, bereft of confidence where excuses for failure and poor performances were accepted.

The new manager has some tough job turning it around. It can't get worse than Kenny but expect Off the ball and his other media pals to be on the back of the new manager from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭cmac2009

He's woeful and he's on the Saturday football show quite a bit unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Johnny has been like this for years, he prefers to go back to the 70s and tell anecdotes of Leeds, Don Revie and Clough.

He uses catch all general phrases like player x or manager y is not “doing the business” - a lot.

However, any time he is asked about the “John Giles Foundation” and its connections with Delaney era FAI, Gilesy immediately goes on the defensive and gets very waspish.

People should have a read of Mark Tighe’s pieces on the Giles Foundation - very odd arrangements...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Sunjava

It depends on who interviews John, Nathan appears to just go through the motions. Regardless, it's still a more interesting segment for many than some of the other topics discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭scottser

Again, no genuine insight into the game and he frequently either can't remember or pronounce players' names. It just comes across as really unprofessional. Nathan does indeed sound bored of his yanzie talking to Johnny.

Advertisement