Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In theory no... but...

Some posters find that the whiskey seems to open up a bit after a while, and I've had that feeling a couple of times.

At the same time, I'm a bit paranoid about a small amount of liquid left in a regular size bottle. I had left one measure in a regular bottle and when returned to it in a while I thought it had 'died'.

Now I usually fill up a sample bottle or smaller bottle from the main one, so I have a sample to return to for comparison in the distant future.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Similar, about 6 open. About 20 waiting to open, it's a real test of discipline!

(As a general rule I have Jameson, JW Double Black, something good but safe like Redbreast, an Islay and a couple of more interesting ones open, not that anyone asked 🤣)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

What are the opinions on Busker whiskeys from the Royal Oak distillery in Carlow? Only come across them recently.

Post edited by Bahanaman on

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

On Paddy's Share, saw it on special today in Tesco for €25.96.

Only one bottle left so said I'd try it. Scanned at €35, but checkout operator honoured the €25.96 price once I went back and brought tag. He said it must be a pricing error, but may be similarly priced in other Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Open

Makers Mark

JD Sinatra

JD Single Barrel

JD Honey

JD Apple

JD old No 7

JD Fire

Bullit Bourbon

Gentleman Jack

Woodford Reserve

Southern Comfort

Fireball

Regular Jameson

Unopened

Redbreast

Jameson Crested

JD Single Barrell Rye

Bushmills

JD Old No 7 Rye

loads of others 😰

and that’s just the whiskeys 🤪

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Are Southern Comfort, Fireball and those JD abominations whiskeys?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They aren't whisky. But there's no need to be rude about other people's choices. You could politely point out that those products are liqueurs or whiskey flavoured spirit drinks and not whisky.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Is a whiskey with a bit of water or ice no longer whiskey??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Probably more one for the cocktail space, I find the liqueurs too sweet, even with a mixer. But used as a 'modifier' in a cocktail, along with a measure of proper whiskey, can give interesting results. Fireball especially.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yes it is. Why would you ask this?

Pretty much all bottled whiskies are diluted to bottling strength (including most "cask strengths"). However, if you add anything other than water or permitted colouring, it is no longer, legally whiskey/whisky.

Pretty sure this is true for any European whisky and American.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Think someone mentioned adding a shot or less of jameson to bailey's to whiskie fy it a bit more. Like the sound of it. Bailey's on sale currently

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

As regards what is Whiskey / whisky, both Ireland and Scotland have that minimum 40% ABV requirement, I think I'm right in saying, among other requirments. That's the only point I'd throw in, when it comes to whiskey, ice and diluting with water.

It's not to say someone isn't free to water their whisky down to whatever extent they like, as a personal preference.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The stuff I mentioned that isn't whiskey isn't whiskey when it comes out of the bottle, what goes into whiskey after that is immaterial. It was only a bit of gatekeeping, nothing too deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone tried the Lore single malt?

Yes, I've had two bottles, wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. A very good 'no age statement' upper end Laphroaig.

My apologies for upsetting some people 🤣😂

i agree they might not be pure whiskeys but they are all whiskey liqueurs.

jaysus….. I found loads more (whiskeys + liqueurs) that I didn’t even mention above……. I think I should stop buying for a while 🤣😂🤪

Lol, you'll still irk some people by saying they aren't "pure" whiskey.

The aren't whisky.

The main thing is you have a great collection.

I am not a fan of whiskey liquers I've tried, but sure haven't we all enjoyed the odd whiskey-based mixed drink, it's not that different...

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Sorry, it was a joke in reaction your comment about not being rude about other people’s choices on whiskey liqueurs. If whiskey has to be 40% to be whiskey…but if I have to explain my joke, then it was shite. Taxi for one

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

While we're on the topic, has anyone tried the jameson cold brew and if they have would they recommend?

• Advertisement

Lol. I stand over what I said. They can stay irked,

As previous poster says if you add a water to a 40% whiskey then it’s diluted to according black sheep it won’t be a whiskey anymore

I guess a whiskey sour or an old fashioned probably aren’t whiskey cocktails either or a whiskey and coke just becomes a whiskey flavoured cola 😎

I was really impressed. Very nice mix, great flavours from both. I do think it's a little over priced, but it is often on offer around the €20-€25 range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I thought it was awful stuff. So bad that I couldn't drink it. I poured the contents of my bottle down the sink.

As the name suggests, it tasted like cold coffee laced with whiskey. In hindsight, I should have kept it to make hot whiskeys instead.

I did like Jameson Caskmates though - both stout and IPA. Could do a lot worse when they're on special at €25

"As the name suggests, it tasted like cold coffee laced with whiskey"

I do agree with that, but I'd call that a good thing 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Weirdo 🤮I loved the concept & was keen to try it out. I like coffee & I like whiskey. What could go wrong? 🙄

The only thing I can compare it to was when Tayto brought out those cheese & onion flavour chocolate bars. Two of my favourite things crisps & chocolate... but they just didn't work when they were combined.

It's more of a cocktail ingredient than a standalone drink I think.

🤣🤣

Can't argue with that!

I liked it though. I found it a particularly nice one in a hipflask for daytime footie matches

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Got a bottle for Christmas and I couldn't stand the stuff either, tasted like stale coffee and whiskey to me. I tried using it in Irish coffee and everything but it wasn't even good enough for that.

• Advertisement

Right, now you are just being silly.

Whiskey is whiskey. Whiskey cocktails are whiskey cocktails. And mixed drinks with whiskey are, well, mixed drinks with whiskey.

The issue is what you sell in a bottle as whiskey. What anyone does with it afterwards is irrelevant.

Advertisement