Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you report a restaurant that wont give you tap water if you ask for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

a restaurant is a business. just because you determined that tap water should be free as its a basic human need, it doesn't impede the fact that the waitor has to take the order, go to the kitchen, take a glass, fill it with water (possibly multiple times), then when you leave, the have to return glass to kitchen, clean and dry. and this action needs to be free.

@OP would you have the same complaint if the restaurant charged for the tap water with the above in mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,463 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

ECHR.

There is a special priority list for such urgent cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Fair enough, but how much would you say would be a fair price to pay for all those actions. Ive just done the same thing now. Walked down the stairs, took a glass, filled it with water, and i'll return it later and throw it in the dishwasher when i return my plate with my sandwich on it too. Took me about 30 seconds, but sure i was getting a bag of crisps out of the press anyway, so only maybe 10 seconds more. In that restaurant the waiter could have leant over, got the glass and filled it over the counter, all without even moving his feet. And sure if the guy at the counter handed it to him even quicker.

Dont make out like its a hard job to fill a glass of water and hand it to someone. Its really not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭jj880

Its gouging but is it really worth the effort of reporting? The people running this restaurant are idiots. Go elsewhere in future.

The best restaurants Ive been to get a jug / jugs of water and glasses on the table even before the orders go in. They dont have to be asked.

Everyone then orders their soft drinks, alcohol etc. as they know they wont get done on water or have to go asking for it. Smart restaurants do this in my opinion. More chance of desserts / coffees ordered a tip left also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,746 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Absolutely that is what the OP should have done once they came out with the BS suggestion that the water is unsafe.

If so then the food is unsafe.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

But ever serving "Tap water" would be a cost to the restaurant. Who do you think pays the server to get the water for you, and clean the Glass/Cup before and afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

They have the right not to give the customer free tap water, but it seems exactly the kind of pointless, miserly thing that makes everybody at the table think 'Well I won't be coming here again' and the cost of that (and word of mouth) obviously exceeds the cost of the water and 30 seconds of a waiter's time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you ask the waiter to bring you ketchup; or fresh cutlery; or (insert several other examples) do you expect them to charge for that too, given that someone has to pay for their time fetching you something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

They'll be getting the same pay for their shift regardless of how much they serve.

Thats a great point: "Well sir if your tap water isnt fit for consumption then I wont be eating any food prepared with it. Good day to you!"

It's not the same at all. There was nothing wrong with the water in this restaurant, it was just a mean, total BS, excuse to try to gain a few euro in extra profits which appears to have backfired spectacularly.

Scrap the cap!

• It’s not the same though. It’s similar at best.

You were refused tap water because it was unsafe to drink and as a result the restaurant comped the bottled water.

In this case it is a policy not to provide tap water and offer to buy bottled. It’s safe to assume the excuse is pure nonsense as well.

There’s parallels between your situations but they are not the same. One involves poor service and the other excellent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

excellent service in a restaurant whose water supply is not fit to drink!

would you be happy to learn that after having eaten the food there?

Having heating and lighting is a pretty substantial cost for a restaurant too. Maybe charge customers to turn the light on over their table? and extra to light a candle?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

• If the water is not good to drink (whether because it’s currently unsafe or just not palatable) and you’re offered bottled in lieu, which is also comped, what’s poor about the service exactly?

edit: such as in the case of a boil water notice, are restaurants supposed to close down for the duration? Also unsafe to drink does not imply unsafe to cook with or wash with. Often the bacteria causing water to be unsafe for drinking is easily killed even at lower temperatures so heating it to 60-70c is sufficient. Really don’t see what the problem is.

Their water is the Dublin city water supply, not the semi-filtered output of their neighbour's septic tank as appears to be commonly the case outside the Pale

Scrap the cap!

• You do pay for those things. Did you ever wonder why a restaurant menu costs more than a takeaway?

or why sometimes if there’s a takeaway & dine in menu takeaway is cheaper? It’s because you’re not occupying a table and availing of the aforementioned heat, electric and service.

All of these things are charged in the food price. Surely to god you didn’t think it was free??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The OP said the restaurant said the water was bad quality. They did not say it was unsafe. That could mean anything. In parts of Dublin it could mean it has an unpleasant taste or smell.

Obviously the restaurant could have handled it better, but considering the OPs reaction was to come on here asking who to report the restaurant to for not offering free bottled water, we don't know how the exchange between him and the server went. Having worked in hospitality, I can well imagine. Nice customers you are happy to accommodate in any reasonable way, often going the extra mile. Not nice customers I would not give the steam off my pi$$ to if I was not legally required to.

• Fair point too! I know myself from work the front of house will adjust their helpfulness based on the mannerism of the guest.

Rude, snappy & demanding customers get the bare minimum and out the door asap

considerate guests are treated like royalty and if only we have homes to be in they could sit there all night they’re such a pleasure.

Some folk however seem to think front of house is a euphemism for “personal slave”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Glurrl

It's bad form to go in a restaurant, use thier facilities, heating, etc and kick up a fuss because they don't give out free stuff.

Do you do the same in the local shop?

There wasnt much of an exchange at all to be honest. We asked, they said that. We spent the rest of the meal talking among ourselves about it. Didnt order anymore drinks or deserts and left without tipping.

I mistakenly thought it was illegal, so decided it was worth reporting as I felt sorry for my friend and others like them who only drink water with meals. I was drinking another drink anyway and only wanted water to wash the food down between bites as it was spicy. Then I found out it wasnt illegal and there is nothing to report.

I still think the thread is a good one though. And that it was a very bad customer experience. And a bad experience that ive never, ever had when out for a meal anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭HBC08

You thought the customer is always right?

That's the refuge of entitled customers and cowardly managers.It also went out of fashion around the middle 80s (if indeed it was ever even said in Ireland,its a BS American thing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Up there with "I pay your wages, you know" for ensuring the absolute bare minimum of service through gritted teeth.

I didnt believe them to be honest. But if I owned that place id have had a few large bottles of water in there and used that if anyone asked for water with their meal. Same as I do when the water is off at my own house. 5 litre bottle of water can be got for a euro or two. If a restaurant has water problems they probably shouldnt open til they get them fixed.

They could have given out bottled water for free also if they wanted. Or even cost price. But over €3 to the customer because you wouldnt do something about your water situation? Thats above and beyond I think.

People generally want water with a spicy meal, even if they are drinking something else with it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I had a restaurant for 9 years.

You do not make much money on the food. It mostly comes from the beverages.

So unless you are ordering the scallops and lobster, please remember this.

I miss the old quoting system.

Quote=Alessia Helpful Thunderstorm

"Rude, snappy & demanding customers get the bare minimum and out the door asap".

Unless the bottled water was priced exorbitantly, I'm surprised the person who wanted the water didn't go ahead and order one if they only drink water when eating. Sounds a bit cutting nose to spite face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Deeec

Your friend though wasnt refused water - they were refused free tap water and there may very well have been a good reason for this. Your friend could have paid for bottled water.

A person that goes to a restaurant and only wants to drink tap water and nothing else it not a good customer from a business point of view. Possibly they need to give their head a little wobble and next time think about how unreasonable it is sitting in a restaurant and only wanting to drink what is free!

Also your approach should have been to complain to management if it annoyed you so much. But your first reaction seemed to be to report the restaurant and make them suffer which is very unreasonable on your part. What did you want to achieve - close them down, put people out of jobs, make them pay a big fine.

• Advertisement

• Honestly it really is!! You’re hampering the enjoyment of your meal to spite the restaurant but at the end of the day they haven’t been affected dramatically by it at all. 😅

Buy a coke etc and then ask for some tap water.

Have some respect.

• It’s really bad form for a restaurant not to give tap water when requested. We don’t live in a developing country where tap water is non-potable , and as a poster said if there is a problem with the water in the restaurant it is a public health concern. Restaurants with any idea of good customer service need to concede to the tap water requests and build in the “loss” into pricing of all other items.

They don’t have to serve you the water, of course, and you don’t have to return or recommend the place either. The best you could do is write a Tripadvisor, Google or Trustpilot review mentioning what was good and what was mean & stingy, ie not giving you tap water.

There was mention in one of the OPs posts that the water drinking friend having her christmas party there but now it wont be... How true that is, we will never know. If s/he was only going for the cheap and free stuff, it's probably no loss to the restaurant, at a time of year when most restaurants are booked out.

Well they are against bottled water, much like the Vegans at the table have their views. I guess they were taking their environmental stand.

And from my point of view, all they did was ask for a glass of water with their food that they were paying for. If they'd offered to give a glass of tap water and asked for money for it they might even have paid, i dont know.

But at the end of the day it was a bad customer experience. Not a bad customer as some seem to be trying to insinuate.

And it was that person who chose the place for us all to go to. So they were actually responsible for bringing other customers to a table with a total spend of about €300.

It was just a glass of water they wanted. You would think here that they jumped up and screamed the house down and threw a tantrum or something. They wanted a glass of water ..... Water. Nobody died when they didnt get it. Nobody walked out. It was just bad judgement on the restaurant. Such an easy thing for them to have avoided imo.

They were probably all going to drink water, have no starters and pay separately anyway.

No loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭nachouser

The real question is did they pay with cash or card.

• That is not a very balanced response to OP, they were not there to take “everything that is free”. They ordered food, OP paid for a beverage. I know a lot of posters probably hold grudges from having worked in hospitality and had unpleasant customer experiences and I know there are some awful hospitality managers who make things very awkward for staff.

• They’re against bottled water??

sorry are you now trying to liken the morality of refusing to raise animals for food vs not paying for bottled water cos you’re a cheapskate?

Let’s be honest now, it’s not an environmental decision it’s a wallet decision. You sound like a right group. I’ll ping you the eircode for where I work we’d love to have ya..

they were yeah. Look, I’ve heard that one before too.

“can I have (favour)”

”no sorry we can’t”

”WELL I PAY YOUR WAGES I WAS GONNA HAVE MY GRANDADS CHRISTENING HERE WITH 500 PEOPLE BUT NOW I WONT”

ok 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Deeec

Christmas parties are usually never held in indian restaurants as Indian cuisine is not loved by everyone. I dont believe that part of the story that their christmas party is planned for this restuarent!

Look. If someone is against using leather shoes i dont care. If they are against bottling water, i dont care. If they are against eating meat, i dont care.

Nor should you care.

This is about someone who asked for a glass of water. The only one in a group who paid €300 for the meal who had this requirement. They were refused it. Thats it. Nothing else happened.

• If you run a restaurant and can’t serve tap water, go into another more viable business. We can survive with less restaurants.

That is a totally over the top post dont you think?

No. Noone ever had their Christmas party in an Indian.

You are grasping here. You know this. You are trying your best to make it sound like the person who couldnt get a glass of water is the bad buy here.

• All these posters hold grudges from having been in an industry that has a poor business model.

• Advertisement

Something is definitely getting to them :)

Imagine walking into someone where they were the hospitality. I think their experiences that they have had in the past may not have been the fault of the person they think it was. A look in the mirror might help them.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• An industry which has thrived for decades has a poor business model?

interesting take.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

What was the name of this Indian restaurant? I'd like to experience their customer service myself.

• If they can’t give tap water, it’s poor. I don’t often visit Irish restaurants as I don’t have that kind of spare money, I do enjoy eating out abroad.

• If everyone thinks I give mean reviews just look me up on Tripadvisor (haven’t posted in some time since Covid) under DublinFlyer

373 contributions mostly positive

• Advertisement
Advertisement