Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

This green rubbish is totally out of order. The world as a whole is starving yet they want culling & herd reduction to further their self-righteous ‘cause’. At the same time someone uploaded a comment & link here a few days ago saying the Brazilians want to cut down trees to make way for cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I don’t see anyone cheering on carbon tax so that’s ridiculous to suggest

Pointing out that carbon tax has little to do with the Green Party and none of the other parties that are the flavour of the month have an alternative to carbon tax is not cheering it on

The Green Party get blamed for a lot here, just clearing it up it’s all the parties

No Sinn Fein are not changing it to anything, still carbon tax, still the same increases etc

Who was it that said SF will continue in the same trajectory

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The carbon tax was originally mooted in 2008 and eventually introduced in the Finance Bill 2010. Who happened to be the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources at that time? What party were they from? I suspect that's a lot of the reason.

As for the cheering on, there's at least 1 person who relishes a good carbon tax increase on this thread. They've provided many links to demonstrate how it is "working"

• Advertisement

That was 15 years ago and during those 15 years the Green party was in government for 5 years? if it was only Green Party why not remove it during the years when the Green Party wasn't in government?

Why haven't the likes of Sinn Fein come out and say they will remove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If you wish to carry on believing what you want to believe without anything to back it up that is no concern of mine, but you do know don`t you that Sinn Fein have always stated they opposed carbon taxes ?

No they said they would pause the carbon tax, not remove it. A mistake made by a lot of the Sinn Fein supporters.

From their alternative budget. Plenty more information available to confirm they won't get rid of carbon tax

For someone who is pushing Sinn Fein you don't seem to know a lot about their policies.

We would scrap the planned increase in the carbon tax this October, at a cost of €13 million in 2023. The government plan to increase the carbon tax on motor fuels on 11th October, a move that would further hike already increasing petrol and diesel prices. This hike must not proceed. 

It's easy to say you won't increase taxes in opposition.

If you want a good paugh, take a look at their plans on how to address the pension timebomb, hilarious stuff with zero grounding in reality but it doesn't matter as they are in opposition.

If they ever manage to get into power it'll be interesting to see how they square the circle on their many economic fantasies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Funny how anytime public transport is mentioned the same story is fired out about public transport. Seems every person on boards who doesn't support public transport can't come up with a better version of a story.

It’s makey uppey stuff. Adds nothing to the thread because public transport is about mass movement of people, making up some random scenario means nothing in overall scheme

My case may be anecdotal but it is real. Commutes around the M50 without a car are infeasible. If I have to get into the city centre for a meeting I have public transport options and I use them. The "demand management" side of the Greens' plan for 2030 is already working nicely -- the road space for cars driving into the city centre is smaller than a country boreen in lots of places. Yet another reason why I will vote to boot them out, but I can't say their cunning plan isn't being implemented. They'll have to squeeze the pips a lot harder before I give up my car or even switch to an EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Green Party entered government in 2007 and left in 2011. They came back in 2020. In 16 years, the GP were in government for 7(and counting). If the government goes full term they'll be in power for 9 out of 18 years. For a small party they are having an extraordinary run at government

You can pause the I`m "pushing Sinn Fein". I have made my views on Sinn Fein clear on this and other threads, but feel free to go through all my posts of the last 10 years and show me otherwise.

Sinn Fein`s Climate Justice and a Just Transition. Page 3.

The Green Party also wants a market approach to climate action, believing that the manipulating of market signals via taxation will lead to deep structural and bebavioural changes.This is a deeply regressive approach in terms of social cohesion, but that is the bent of its current leaders that it is treated as unquestioned doctrine a "common sense" that is common only to those who believe that bailing bankers and imposing austerity was fair and balanced and reasonable.

Yeah, Sinn Fein clearly following the Irish green party trajectory 🤐

No need to read 10 years of poorly informed posts.

The bit you posted is standard Sinn Fein noise….

They complain about the Green Party but as usuaL offer no alternative. I think you should be able to join the dots why

But anyway the discussion was about Carbon Tax which Sinn Fein have said they won’t remove which you seemed to be unaware of 👍 you are welcome

Right along that trajectory with renewables and carbon taxes, who needs the Green Party if you have Sinn Fein

Can't see your vote having much impact on the road space in DCC. The council there have been on a road diet for nigh on 20 years with massive plans to further reduce the amount of space for cars.

Unless you think the the 9 Green councillors hold dominance over the other 54 councillors plus the executive?

Something I highlighted a while, piddly fines to deal with breaches of regulations around wildlife and water pollution issues

It seems the IFI agree and are pushing for fines to be increased

Francis O’Donnell, chief executive of IFI, was addressing the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Environment and Climate Action yesterday (Tuesday, November 21) on the recommendations contained in the Citizens’ Assembly report on Biodiversity Loss.

“Equally we believe that serious consideration needs to be given to expanding the powers of authorised officers to enforce environmental and wildlife legislation in a wider context.

“This would benefit Irelands aquatic and terrestrial environments and the species that rely on them including humans.

“A significant review of the financial penalties associated with wildlife, water quality and habitat destruction is now required to deter those involved if we are to stem the reduction in Irelands biodiversity loss for future generations.

“Enforcement in this area should be viewed as a positive thing as the natural world belongs to all citizens,” O’Donnell said.

I have never cast a vote for Sinn Fein, and I don`t see why you are having a go at me on posting. It`s your own poorly informed posts on Sinn Fein and insistence of keeping it up with your notion that they are "following the Irish Green Party trajectory" that is making you look foolish, not me.

I have criticed the Irish Green Party where I believe they deserved it. Their clear contempt for rural communities and wish to kill off agriculture and knock a major hole in our economy. Ryan`s lunatic proposal on populations of 499 being legally allowed to sell and gift turf where it would be illegal for communities of 501 to do so. Their culling of Irish cattle, their bull on LNG where they were attempting to introduce legislation to ban all LNG where now they have done a complete about face, and they and their supporters apparent ability to do the most basic mathematics on energy generation. Even providing verifiable figures to show the proposed madness and I pointed out a year ago where wind energy prices were going only to be told by all the green know-alls here it was going to go down. If that is poorly informed posting and it offends your sensibilities then you have a problem with reality as opposed to wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Can't see your vote having much impact on the road space in DCC. The council there have been on a road diet for nigh on 20 years with massive plans to further reduce the amount of space for cars.

Yeah, I realised some time back that the moment for ploughing the eastern bypass through Booterstown bird sanctuary had probably passed. Oh well ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Can't they build it into the dyke we'll need across Dublin bay to stem the incoming flood waters?

If the winners of the Dutch election manage to lead a coalition, there could be a major push back on climate goals there

The Dutch would be bound by the same agreements as we are in terms of climate. Plus they'd have their own local laws. Goes to show that change in politics can lead to changes on existing agreements, despite what others may believe.

There's no indication of such changes happening here even with a government change. This will be interesting to watch all the same.

Post edited by roosterman71 on

Thing is, to get that you also have to take aims to end free movement, various anti-Muslim measures, end foreign aid, abolish the public broadcaster, an end to asylum for refugees and the cherry on top, Nexit (Netherlands Brexit).

This is the extreme you need to get to, to find a party not only willing to block emission reduction goals, but reverse them.

What lofty goals to have 🤦‍♂️

• Advertisement

Oh changes can, but are any of the parties in Ireland running to say they will change them?

The Netherlands isn't Ireland and after living in the Netherlands 20 years ago they had a huge immigration problem then, well according to the Dutch anyway, so I would expect it has got a lot worse since then

Nope. Not all those are tied together. Just because a party is in favour of a lot of that (wrongly) doesn't mean they have to do all that to make changes in other areas.

Besides, I posted it to show that an election can change policy. There's no guarantee that a) any of that would be done, or even a watered down version and b) that the party will actually lead a new coalition

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

It’s partly due to trying to shove green shite down farmers throats there

BBB also done well, they were formed specifically because of green policies earlier in year

There is also talks of a farmers party here in Ireland and you can bet it will hoover up votes in backlash to Green policies especially in Galway that got so repeatedly fucked over by green nonsense (only for Eamonn to go declaring a bypass elsewhere this week)

A farmers party would be a bad idea. There's already a group called the Farmers Alliance who are nothing short of headbangers, completely out of touch with reality. Though they make some good points, they make them in stupid ways and bring in conspiracy theories and all sorts. Crazy loons!

A proper rural party though who cover all aspects of rural life, including agri, may do well. They'd be the ying to the green yang and could command a similar number of seats in rural areas as the greens do in urban areas. That of course would dilute the vote of the existing major parties and SF would hoover up I suspect in these constituencies.

The farmers alliance are the funniest thing to happen to Irish politics in decades.

Absolutely bonkers folks with the looniest policies.

There's a reason why no elected folks are going near them, they haven't a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

Hopefully something like that does arise (not just a another bunch of headbangers) as there badly needs to be a counterweight to the Green anti science movement

Nice to see this finally getting up and running. I'm disappointed to see it's limited to 16 panels though, seems like a waste to me. If you are going to go to the time and expense of installing, the school should be able to do the maximum installation

RTE news : Rollout of €50m school solar panel programme to begin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...this kind of thinking is in the post for ireland to, so we better get ready for it....

This should help with reducing agriculture emissions further

So long as farmers abide by it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

16 seems very low; particularly seeing as many schools have several hundred students. Surely the objective should be to fill whatever space there is and maximise the generation and export.

Advertisement