Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

I get the prompt as soon as I log into the account - it came up immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭hold my beer

It happened me too, and I realised it's because I'm signed into Ticketmaster under a different account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Is half the ground not open for the Stade game? The upgrade options are brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If they are offering Itoje 400k, they could offer similar to Snyman?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jonok28

If Munster were to choose to keep Kleyn and allow RG Snyman to walk, would you take a chance on RG Snyman on a one year prove it deal? Yes there are high injury risks with him but my God, if he was healthy you have one of the most talented locks in the world, if he gets injured you still have the likes of Molony, Deeny and the academy locks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Fool me once and all that..I doubt the IRFU will throw more good money after bad on Snyman

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

why would Snyman would take a big pay cut to go to saracens?

he could earn roughly the same amount without breaking a sweat in japan, or significantly more if he went to france.

400K is paltry for Snyman at this stage of his career.

plus, should sarries have both snyman and itoje on 400K, thats 12.5% of their total salary cap budget on 2 players. Not happening.

there is no big money in premiership rugby anymore, UNLESS youre the sole marquee player allowed in each club.

With Snymans injury record, i dont think any premiership chairman in their right mind would take a punt on him as their marquee player

You are probably right, they will probably land a lock similar in caliber to Jenkins again which isn't the worst but would love them to be as bold as they have been with their coaching hires in buying a world class lock.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A world class lock just means McCarthy doesn't start big games. What we need is someone to bench and provide cover behind Ryan and McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Leinster should sign one of the Portuguese wingers. Sorti or Marta. Or a big, athletic Fijian winger. I'd much rather that than another lock when we have McCarthy.

Leinster lack game breakers in the backline, capable of making a difference in the big games.

• Advertisement

I understand and somewhat agree with your reasoning, but I can see Nienaber wanting to create a "bomb squad" of his own at Leinster and at the core of the bomb squad for South Africa has been an extremely strong pack off the bench. Leinster need that extra quality lock to come off the bench, as well as a tighthead prop. You bring in two quality players to fill them spots and Leinsters bench goes from fairly strong to monstrous.

Yeah, but there is a big difference between what Nienaber wants and what the IRFU will sign off on.

There isn't a credible argument that you need to go and sign two top class NIQs to get Leinster over the line - they've come within inches virtually of winning the last two European Cups. But for certain refereeing interpretations and some composure from key players they could have won either of those finals or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

If we were to sign a lock, Amato Fakatava from Japan would be a brilliant buy

I'm not expecting them to break the bank for a lock or prop but if they decided to use only two NIQ designations instead of three, potentially there would be additional money available to upgrade the positions. In a perfect world we would land a Lood De Jager or Maro Itoje. That isn't going to happen but its not unrealistic to want a marginal upgrade over Jason Jenkins and Michael Ala'alatoa, if Leinster and the IRFU had to spend 100 to 150k per players more to land that depth, it would be money well spent, especially seeing as they would be at leinster for at max 2 years for a TH prop and potentially 2 to 3 for a lock.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The emergence of Jamie Osborne raises some really interesting thoughts for Leinster this season and moving forward. When everyone is healthy, would you prefer Osborne to start alongside Ringrose at centre with Henshaw off the bench or Henshaw and Ringrose starting with Osborne at 23?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

id prefer the best player get the shirt, and not automatically think that just because henshaw is fit, he walks back into the shirt.

which, i think the coaches prefer too

If everyone is fit and at their best, then it's still the latter - Henshaw at 12, Ringrose 13 with Osborne in the 23 shirt for me. Henshaw's historic injury profile though probably means plenty of opportunities and gametime for Osborne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I don't fully agree with the sentiment that we lack game breakers given how many teams would kill to have Ringrose, Keenan or Lowe in their team but there certainly is no harm having a big athletic outside back.

But if you think that's going to come from a Pro D2 winger you're living in fantasy land and bought far too much into the feelgood factor that Portugal gifted us with during the RWC

Sorti or Marta would offer no more game breaking ability than Rob Russell, Tommy O'Brien or Larmour

Way less - these guys have already washed through squads like Stade Francais en route to the ProD2. The people touting them as potential Leinster signings have probably seen them play 4 times ever, at a max.

They're significantly closer in level to the likes of Aitzol King and Andrew Osborne than they are to guys like Larmour or O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Game breakers are game breakers because they play in teams that facilitate that style. Leinster aren't really that sort of team. Their attack is far more concentrated on multi-phase, starter moves and decision making. Whilst raw pace will always have a place, there's very few guys who have raw pace and are genuinely rounded players.

Kolbe, for example, was far more dangerous for Toulouse than Toulon. His try scoring rate dropped significantly as his team played a less cavalier approach. Doug Howlett had a brilliant scoring record in NZ. Munster played a forward based game and that dropped off hugely. He was still a brilliant player for them as he was such a professional and well rounded player but what he brought to the team moved on from being the game breaker in attack that he had been at Auckland/NZ.

Players like JOB or Hansen are far more suited to Leinster (admittedly Hansen is much more of a finisher) but they're well rounded guys who can step in at first receiver, defend fairly well and have a kicking game. Leinster are always going to aim for guys like that more than the flying outside back. The flying outside back who can do all of the above is in very elite company and will cost a small fortune....and then be asked to play in the Leinster attacking structure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

You can never bank on everyone being fit in rugby with such a high injury rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Any value in Leinster, assuming Ngatai and Ala'alatoa depart and an NIQ available, signing a 10 ?.

Any critical injury to RB and we're starting Harry, Frawley or Prendergast in European games. Wouldn't be the first time Leinster bought in a 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

never happening, nor would or should it be allowed.

Yeah, I couldn't see that happening, I think they feel comfortable enough with Harry, Frawley, Prendergast and Tector. I would trust all but Tector to start a European game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Anyone potentially from Somoa?

Goodman was with them for world cup. Maybe he sounded out a prop/lock?

I don't see that happening as it isn't a problem area. Areas I can potentially see Leinster maybe using the NIQ designations if all of their NIQ qualified players left are (in order):

TH Prop - Rory McGuire and Paddy McCarthy are prospects I rate but are a year or two away from being difference makers. A quality back up TH is essential.

Lock - A lock off the bench to replace Jenkins is a high priority.

LH Prop - Michael Milne, Jack Boyle and Paddy McCarthy should be more than capable of covering this so not a big need.

Scrum half - JGP to me is World class but McGrath and Foley don't fill me with confidence, Gunne is a real prospect but he is probably a year or two away.

That injury history would not appeal to me. I would pass.

I didn't think Snyman was on huge money! How do Munster afford him? I would guess he's on about the same as Beirne?

I understand that but would it be worth it to do a one year prove your fitness deal? If it panned out, Leinster would probably have the best lock trio in European rugby if not World rugby

• Advertisement

Here's where we differ, I think Molony is a high quality bench option. He's not the biggest and not world class but he's consistently very good. Obviously a Snyman type would be a huge gain for Leinster but, McCarthy is already very good and improving. He s developing into a hard nosed physical beast and will be a regular international. Baird can also do the job off the bench. Baird is not the best 2nd row but could be impactful for 20 odd minutes.

I don't see Leinster spending a large amount on a niq.

Advertisement