Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was waiting to find out of I'm sale agreed on a house or not before potentially pulling the trigger on the black AWD Y for €50k. Back up to €52k now which would make me more likely to wait for something in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

A small report of my first UK trip in the Model Y RWD.

The good...

Efficiency on the, mostly motorway, 540km run was fantastic. ABRP told me that I would need 2 stops to complete the run. I only needed 1 Supercharger stop and arrived at my destination with 15% remaining. The Tesla network is an incredible asset and adds flexibility to the trip, but the competition is catching up. There were many places where multiple unit rapid charger stations sat alongside the Tesla group. The cost of the supercharging was also nice and low.

Predicting what percentage battery you'll have left at charging or destination is a kind of voodoo, but it's normally quite accurate. Changing weather conditions on a long run can see the estimate falling fairly dramatically but if you keep an eye on it, you won't be caught out.

The support of the driver seat was perfect, I arrived at my destination pain free. Better than any of my previous cars on the same run.

Interior space is huge with enough storage for the kitchen sink that my wife cannot live without on long journeys.

The Bad...

The auto wipers are comically bad and the auto headlights are right up there alongside them. The return trip through Wales was very wet and the wipers just refused to adapt to the changing rainfall amounts. At one point wiping furiously on a dry screen and other times refusing to start up for reasonably heavy rain. Controlling the wipers manually via the screen takes my eyes off the road for longer than I'm comfortable with on a dark twisting Welsh road and voice commands wake the sleeping dragon beside me. Not good! I've had auto wipers on my cars for many years now and they've all operated properly. How can Tesla get this feature so wrong?

The headlights dip at every reflective sign, then pop back up when the sign has darkened because of the dip, only to dip again with the reflection of the same sign. Up-down-up-down-up-down. The driver behind me must have thought I was a right looper. Again, I've had this feature for years on cars, none have ever dipped the lights due to reflective signs. Tesla Vision fails again. Coming from the fantastic VW matrix headlights, this is a shock to the system.

Edit to add... the GPS took ages to connect when arriving at Pembroke Dock. There was a crash on the road out and finding an alternative route meant resorting to the phone GPS. This was about 10 minutes after disembarking. Same at Rosslare on the return leg.

Charging...

As I said above, the Tesla network is an incredible asset, but it can get busy. During my stay I pulled into South Mimms on the M25 and took the last bay available. Within minutes there were 3 cars in a queue to charge with a few more turning away. I was getting 48kW into a 12% warm battery and the fee was £0.51 per kWh. On my return journey across the UK I stopped at the new Superchargers at Leigh Delamere services. 16 units and three of us using them. It was late in the evening and the roads were getting quiet. I think it was £0.34 per kWh, and it was delivering 140kW. That made the single charge stop a breeze.

The drive was done mostly at speed limits where possible and heating at 20.5 degrees. Two people on board and around 17 tons of luggage... maybe. The back seats were flattened and the belongings of a small country loaded to just above the bottom of the windows.

Overall the car was a great tool for the job and the journey out in dry weather and mostly daylight was fine. the return journey in the dark with wet conditions was made much more difficult than it needed to be.

I'm glad I went for the RWD and the LFP battery. The scare stories about needing 2 charge stops for this run (I do it regularly enough) nearly drove me to the LR, but I'm happy out with the RWD, having had it since April.

Now if Tesla could only do something about the wipers and headlights in the next update......

Post edited by Silent Running on

Lucky escape, madness to register a car now anyway with January so close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd be keeping the car 8+ years and don't particularly personally care about having a new plate, I'm currently driving a 192 Model 3 that was registered at the end of November. I couldn't wait til January on that one as the seai business grant was being removed, so would have been €3800 more expensive to register the car in January. With the €2k extra discount I'd happily go for it now, without it though I might as well just wait.

Neil Briscoe has slated it again in terms of squeaks/rattles etc. I thought the MIC cars had this resolved ? Is he being unfair or could the test car have been a press hack that was thrashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

There are a lot of rattles in the MY. On mine - Rubber bushings in the rear hatch, right rear headrest, squeaky drivers seat, rattling front passenger seat belt buckle (sorted this one with soft tape from AliExpress). I drove my wife’s 6yo golf recently and there were no rattles in it. My ID.3 in 2.5y of ownership had no rattles, Nor in a rental polestar or my FIL 4yo leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They do. This is journalistic waffle. My MIC 3 is my third tesla and the first not to have any of the squeaks and rattles. My S had a rattle from the sunroof, the X rattled everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

Im sure its less about the 241 reg and more about securing a 5K discount ...more if availing of finance @ 3.9 APR. Persuasive to me!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Brand new white MY in inventory for €43,321. That won’t last long!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

This is true. I also have the squeaky seat belt holder (pre tensioner side). It's a fairly easy fix although it shouldn't be needed.

The passenger side buckle knocks against the b pillar when not in use, which really shouldn't happen either!

On the plus side, I had some loud creaking coming from the main door seals from 3 of the 4 doors. Ranger came out and lubricated them which eased the issue for a few weeks.

When the noise returned, I asked for them to be replaced and all 4 were replaced no questions and at no cost!

Fantastic service, you wouldn't get anything like it from a traditional dealer.

You know how the Germans fixed that issue. Soft fabric stuck to the buckle in the factory. Like a 3M product.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Yep, and the receiver has it already in the Y, just not the buckle itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I bought two rubber buckles that go over the buckle and they have cut out the rattle as the soft rubber absorbs the noise if it does rub against the hard plastic pillar.

They’ve learned 😂

My 2020 M3 doesn’t have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Just on the wipers, you know you can control the from the stalk and left scroll wheel? No need to use the screen .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

The auto wipers are poor. I’m constantly having to use the button to wipe the screen because the sensor isn’t picking up rain. I’m driving the car that’s linked above, it’s not thrashed by any means, can assure you. You could eat your dinner off the boot carpet for example. Neil is an excellent journalist and not in the business of making stuff up, I will gladly say that about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭talla

Auto-wipers were ok for me just about since picking up the MY in March.

On curent software that installed, 2023.38.6 they are completely useless.

I disabled auto-headlights becuae they randomly refuse to come on down long narrow country lanes for some reason for me,

Also have them disabled for autopilot through s3xy buttons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭talla

UI of this could be a lot better. Auto is very last setting on the right and is highlighted if on auto, to turn wipers off takes 5 clicks of the wheel, to go to level 1 takes 4. If they had somethingthing basic like push the left scroll wheel to the right when on auto jumpted to off (i.e. beginning of horizontal scroll bar). Push to the right work fine when not on the last option (auto).

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

incredible price. interestingly there's 4 MY's being sold at a lower price than the lowest priced M3 on their website.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

The €50,050 LRs are back in stock. Would make a nice Christmas present for someone.

Just having a little think about car affordability. Back in 1985 my dream car, like most oiks at the time, was a Sierra Cosworth. The 1985 model was RWD only with a 0-60 of 6.1s. If you wanted 4WD, then you had to wait until 1990, and that model could do 0-60 in 5.6s. To get that performance, you'd have to shell out £30,000 at the time if memory serves me correctly. And those were punts, so €38,100.

I accept that there's a problem with EV affordability at the cheaper end of the market at the moment, but in this section of the market, buyers are getting incredible value.

Post edited by josip on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

and voice commands

• "Speed up the wipers"
    • "Increase/decrease windshield wiper speed by..."
    • "Turn on/off the wipers"

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

The difference being, they actually work in the Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ralf_55

Hello, sorry for my English, I translated this message with Google.

I am from Spain and I am thinking of buying a MY SR. I have the option to choose between a MiC and a MiG, I really don't know which one to choose.

I saw that the MiG has some small differences, the most notable being the BYD battery.

What would you choose?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If I had the choice right now, I'd be going for the made in Germany with the BYD blade battery. It should be a bit quicker when supercharging as it has a stronger charging curve. In real life it's probably only going to make a 5 minute difference on charging stops.

Which one has best range?

Will you be using the public super chargers much?

Od like to say the Berlin factory would be built better but MiC is generally as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Ralf_55

I will not charge many superchargers, only to travel in summer.

Advertisement