Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

When I am getting my car serviced at the BMW dealer, I bring along my laptop and they give me use of an office to work there.

This would be an acceptable solution to a far away dealership, at least for those who can work that way. If they have sense, BYD with only three dealers would offer this to customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irish  don

Hi I am in the fortunate position of having a cash budget upto 50000 euros to buy a car going electric any thoughts on byd seal or face-lift tesla model 3 and any advice on getting a discount since I have no trade in thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Be unlikely to get a discount to be honest. No harm in trying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was pretty shocked to see the pricing of the Ioniq 6 AWD which is probably the closest I could find to seal in terms of size and features. 77kwh though versus seal 84kwh. 70,600 Euro rrp.

Ioniq is 4.4 seconds seal is 3.8

Huge price differences

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

Crazy money for the Ioniq, the Seal may not be perfect but unless you're OK with Teslas style it really has no competition at the moment. Even more so the Dolphin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Crazy money for that Ioniq 6 and you do not even get a proper logo on your steering wheel just this horrible 4 dote think. I am sorry but the i6 is not worth that if you ask me. The quality of it inside is not of a 70k car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Agreed. I think if the seal had tesla motors and a hatchback or wider aperture in the boot. It would check pretty much all the boxes in the class segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

An estate version would get me very interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Just in case anyone is interested, I asked for the charge cable length yesterday and was told 3mtrs (Deansgrange dealership) but Cork today confirmed 5mtr cable is included with both the seal & the Atto. The dolphin has only a 3mtr cable apparently.

Yikes. 3m would be incredibly tight for some installs.

• Advertisement

Sure you'd be ridin the wall 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Yeah, too close for most I'd imagine. In fairness, the lad in the Cork showroom initially told me 3mtrs for the lot then started doubting himself so he unpacked all 3 to verify.

Fair play. The lads in Dublin South whilst nice fellas were slightly patchy on some information. As I've found with many car sales folks. Often customer is researched to the gills.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

This, the Nio ET5 is the only estate EV built on a dedicated platform that I've seen so far. AFAIK MG5 is based on an older ICE platform.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Loads of posts from current M3 owners over the last few days that have drove the seal. Myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

Ya. Hate it with a passion

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭John arse

Would be lovely without , what were they thinking?🤔

• Advertisement

Arguably the sensors have to be external and unblocked. Presume they would have loved to fit inside where rear view mirror usually is. Hardware probably limits this.

Fully Charged have a UK overview video up. Well received.

Post edited by RainInSummer on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I never noticed that before. That really is not a great look. A pity as it ruins a lovely car.

Of course if you are driving the car you are not going to see it.

Maybe they will fix it on the revamp in a few years time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I test drove the AWD seal this weekend and thought I'd share some thoughts while hopefully not repeating what was already said.

Bear in mind I'm coming from an older high end car that retailed around 100k when new.

While subjective, I have to say looks excellent from the side and front and if you were to slap a premium brand badge on it nobody would complain. The back is a bit bland but rear light bar looks well. Overall it has aggressive styling and bodykit bits similair to likes of full fat AMG/M/RS cars.

Phenomenally spacious cabin which feels bigger than a 5 series, floor is lower than most EVs so knees don't hit your chin when sitting and rear seats are quite reclined. Foot space under front seats was not an issue for runners but that depends how high you set your front seats. Quality of build/finish is excellent with no creaks and centre console very solid. However, there is cheap scratchy plastic on bottom of doors and their storage parts which don't seem padded. BYD did a pretty good job of hiding the cheaper bits but there are still some like buttons feeling less premium but the synthethic leather and alcantara feel great.

The screens don't seem too bright in direct sun but this was mostly due to a protective film on them which is meant to be removed. HUD is very clear and large. Sunroof has a green tint to it which doesn't match the rest of tint but this can be sorted by getting a film to account for it.

While it was a short drive there was a chance to take it on some twisties which showed the composure of chassis and very little body roll. Steering is extremely light but precise, however doesn't seem to be noticeably changeable. What surprised me most is even in Sport mode, the power delivery is relatively smooth and while extremely fast it doesn't feel so until you notice traffic comparatively looking like standing still. Cabin noise is also excellent due to double glazed windows. Drag mode unlocks this limitation but its use is limited. Still a phenomenally fast car.

Assistance features are a known issue and update is on the way to limit their intrusiveness alongside a lower volume of pedestrian warning especially from within the cabin. Furthermore, rumours are that the cost of the premium colours will go down from 1.5k to 1k.

Overall a pretty compelling package with some quirks but when compared to what's on the market, unless you're ok with a Tesla M3 there is no competition even when compared to the likes of BMW i4 IMO.

Post edited by djan on

No I did not and not sure if it even has that? The excellent 360 cameras on the large display with proper proximity sensors made it extremely easy to park. Also did like the side and front camera popping up when taking a slow turn to see the front corner of the car and curb.

I think it does thought I saw somewhere on YouTube video

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Blackadder11

Excellent review, thanks. Can you elaborate a little on the "cheap scratchy plastic on bottom of doors". Is that on the inside or outside?

Also, "quirks". Do you mean the indicator stalk on "the other side" or something else?

I will report back on dashcam if it arrives and I can get it installed.

I could have described that better but its the area highlighted in image below. Pet peeve of mine this being used especially for the storage compartment in door when it's not padded inside so things rattle. Easily fixed with a bit of felt but not nice to touch when the rest of interior is finished with the high grade leatherette and alcantaraish material.

Regarding the quirks its things like the indicator stalk being on right (apparently this may be swapped over to the correct side in future shipments), chimes being a bit different, layout of digital dash being a of Chinese design language and coming across a bit cheap/messy, some parts being a bit overstylised but overall nothing really off putting.

• Advertisement

Tbf I don't know many cars have anything but plastic in that zone. It's heavy mark and impact area. Needs to be plastic for cleaning foot marks off it.

Advertisement