Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

At this rate, it won't be long before Terry Venables and Joe Kinnear are linked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Carsley hasn't done anything yet. hope he doesn't get the job.

Its not about if there are good managers in the LOI, could Carsley dominate the league and do well in europe? there is nothing to suggest he would in my opinion.

I looked at the betting and it's a depressing list of washed up one time successful managers and younger ones who have never achieved anything. Dark days for our national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Remember the debacle that got Kenny the job in the first place? Mick McCarthy was touted for the job and there was a ground swell of support for Kenny as someone who knew the setup, the underage coming through etc. It was a classic Delaney "all things to all people" stroke, give it to mick for 2 years then Kenny. Delaney was some stroker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm not sure how age comes into it... Marcelo Bielsa is up at that age too, but I'd have him in the door in a heartbeat if he'd have us (which obviously he wouldn't). I think Allardyce has shown greater adaptability to different squads than Bruce has across their respective careers. I think he's been a better manager than Bruce at all points of their respective careers, and now is no exception to that. But again, as I said, I wouldn't particularly want either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They were absolute shïtbox jobs though, with both sides destined for relegation. He was a last gasp hit and hope attempt in both cases. And speaking of West Brom - Steve Bruce took them over later on, and brought them from 6th in the Championship down to 22nd before getting sacked.

As you say though, it's an uninspiring grim enough lot regardless - hopefully the FAI lads are thinking outside the box a bit, but I wouldn't be terribly confident in that :-/

The reality is that anyone we're credibly linked with will have some asterisk next to their name for why they'd be a bad choice - because anyone without that asterisk is by default out of our league. Another that comes to mind is Michael Beale - another much vaunted young 'supercoach', who did well as an assistant at Liverpool and Rangers, and then in the top job with QPR, before falling under the pressure at Rangers. Though I'd guess he'll get a better paid Championship job before too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

If he’s a manager in the LOI and I don’t really rate any of the managers in the LOI then yes I think he would do well in the LOI. Europe is another matter.

if he gets the senior Ireland job, it’s a black box appointment. Who fcuking knows really.

the main thing in his favour is his stock is on the rise and that makes it an “exciting” appointment. Bruce, Keane, big Sam, Lennon, Hughton’s stock is on the slide and that makes them “deflating” appointments.

Football is a PR game and these things matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,014 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He’d be lost a lot. I don’t think he’s ever been to anywhere in Ireland apart from Landsdowne road.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Roy Keane has gone into favourite for the job with Paddy Power I see at 5/2. Usually good indicators. Awful, lazy appointment imo. Would work well in the short term but if history repeats itself, he’ll fall out with everyone and we’d be in a worse state.

Herve Renard is at least in the betting at 40/1, I’d be incredibly interested if the FAI had him in their thoughts. An international journeyman with success at getting so so international teams to major competitions. Our ultimate goal.

My gut tells me if Carsley wants it, he’ll get it. Has the experience of coaching young players, many who will turn out to be superstars and valued at huge money, also has won an international tournament tbf. Given our average age of the squad, his recent experience might be exactly what we’re looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The next draw is going to be really tough. Fourth seeds presumably?

Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Not only did Carsley win a tournament but his side did it without conceding a goal. That makes it an even more of an achievement.

Renard would be an interesting one, too.

I'd struggle to get behind Keane. I just can't see him having the patience for the job that is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Generally depressing the names that are being mentioned. But with the state of the FAI I think we would be lucky to get some of the names on the list.

Keane and Carsley should not be in the running imo. Carsley is too inexperienced to take over a squad like ours, while Keane is too risky for many reasons.

Allardyce or Bruce would be a regressive appointment.

That leaves the likes of Lennon, Dean Smith and Hughton.

As poor as those 3 potentially are, one of them would be our best bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,156 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Keane risky? Wow, have you been under a rock for the 5 years or McCarthy and Kenny.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭McFly85

Third. 12 groups of 4 or 5, group winners automatically through, 12 second places into playoffs with 4 best nations league group finishers.

Kenny is gone, there is nothing to blame him for anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Carsley is obviously the best name on the bookies list , he’s the only one on the up on the list and the one that you can gaurantee would be hungry and use the job as a stepping stone to bigger things which is fine by me if it means results .

I think Poyet is worth having a chat with too seen as he basically threw his name in the ring and made Greece look like a much better side than us in this group .

We are in an absolute mess but it’s not as bad as it seems in my opinion . Ferguson, Ogbene , Johnson , Obafemi , we have an exciting attacking group , always have a solid group nod defenders . We just really need to unearth a couple of midfielders that are comfortable on the ball and we can be competitive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭McFly85

Keane is a depressing appointment - out of management for years and a terrible temperament with players. Can’t see that going well at all.

Carsley is at least young and in a form of international management, bit of a question mark as to how he’d do with a team that doesn’t have the breadth of talent as England, but would probably deserve his chance.

The old heads like Allerdyce I wouldn’t be huge fans of, unless they accepted a heavily incentivised contract(e.g low base pay with set bonuses based on finishing above seeding/qualification). Even still I could see them jumping ship for a championship job if one came up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Have you been under a rock the last 15! What makes Keane an option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Do you not think Kenny was hungry? look how that turned out. Kenny dominated the LOI for years and got into the Europa league and did well when he got there, Carsley did well with an underage team but it is England, I could probably manage them and win games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Carsley is 49 - only 3 years younger than Pep - he's not that young. He'd be an interesting appointment but you'd have to wonder why he hasn't had a first team job yet.

I previously thought about Hughton but even if he's the right candidate decided by the FAI, he's under contract at Ghana, the country where his father was born and leaving there to take over the Irish job would be a step down tbf. He's also under pressure after a series of poor results, losing 1-0 to Comeros on Tuesday. The only way we'd get him (if we wanted) would be if Ghana sacked him. Not sure we want a recently failed manager, hardly inspire confidence.

Lennon is a no from me. The Irish job has a huge amount of pressure and I can't see Lennon doing well under pressure. Very decorated as a manager but a lot of the Celtic success came during the demise of Rangers when barely any side could lay a glove on Celtic. Lennon then lost the 10 in a row and left halfway through the season, huge pressure got to him.

I'm intrigued by Carsley and disagree he's too inexperienced. Yes at a senior level but he has an impressive CV working at City and winning the u21s for England during the Summer. We've a very very young side in international terms, isn't that the type of manager we need who has experience working and getting the best out of young players? The England 21s for the most part are already experienced PL players and would walk into our national squad - Cole Palmer, Rico Lewis, Anthony Gordon, Levi Colwill, James Trafford, Liam Delap, Harvey Elliott, Tino Livramento, Morgan Gibbs White, Cameron Archer, etc. Every single one will have some sort of an ego, huge transfer valuation (more than a lot of our crop) and on high salaries. He'll be able to deal with our lads no bother given their age and already has lots of PL (captaining sides) and international experience so ticks a huge amount of boxes. Huge amount more than Kenny so already an upgrade, plus the experience in working with the FA. This might influence any decision for players on the fence to declare for us over any UK country if they're eligible.

Whilst he is not exactly 'up and coming' at the age of 49, my understanding for his lack of club level managerial experience might point to his family commitments. He turned down the Brentford job in 2015 because of this and most likely, international management might suit him better than the day to day work life balance at any club.

He'd be top of the pile for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

These are the front runners as per bookies, from Keane to Keane, just don't know how keen.

5/2 Roy Keane, 7/2 Neil Lennon, 4/1 Lee Carsley, 11/2 Steve Bruce, 9/1 Sam Allardyce, 12/1 Gus Poyet, 20/1 Robbie Keane.

Considering that 2024 is mostly friendlies, with Nations League games in the last 4 months only, [League B: Austria, Czech Republic, England, Wales, Finland, Ukraine, Iceland, Norway, Slovenia, Republic of Ireland, Albania, Montenegro, Georgia, Greece, Turkey, Kazakhstan.] what are the fundamental requirements we are/should be looking for in a new manager?

Carsley’s daughter has Down’s syndrome as far as I know. Hence the increased family commitments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,156 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

It's his son and yes would explain the family commitments and relative lack of club managerial experience. A very valid reason tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭TokTik

Because I can’t afford to get to away games. Is this a discussion forum or an interrogation?? Should I post my bank statements? Sofa is American now? Jesus wept.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Point of order. Sofa is not an Americansim. Couch is. Sofa is used in Ireland along with settee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,232 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

At least he didn't leave his wife for a young one 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭budgemook

That's funny. Couch was the term used in my house since the 80's. I wouldn't have said any of them were Americanisms. Anywho, off topic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ElJaguar

Carsley would be the favourite for me. Also think Robbie Keane should be a serious contender but only on a 2 year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,927 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

They should just put all the posters names on this thread into a hat and pick one as manager. As good a plan as any. Since most seem to think they know more than a former Irish internationals who have managed at a much higher level than the previous incumbent and some have even got silverware in the second tier in England.

I think many on here are too young to have any sense and are blinded by optics/media caricatures to have any common sense. And view anything older than 10 years ago as prehistoric. But that the zeitgeist of the thread.

Ironically, the same eejits of Irish fans are the ones to blame for Kenny getting the job in the first place. And the eejitry media (namely OTB), instead of accepting they were very wrong, instead have created a narrative why it is not the managers fault. All look like right clowns altogether. John Delaney must be laughing his head off somewhere.

Mod: user was warned for this post.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

That's a bit harsh on Carsley, no? Winning the Euro's at any level is a great achievement, definitely should make him a candidate for the role at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭randd1

Ted Lasso, anyone? Whoever it is, you'd hope that at least they'll put in some semblance of a structure on the side, we we're just so open under Kenny it was unreal.

You'd feel sorry for Kenny, but he was clearly out of his depth at International level. Though It's hard to see who could plug so many holes without going down the Trappatoni route of mass defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It is literally not a good indicator at all for the "next manager" markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

An amazing pre and post-match interview etiquette. Very high on the list apparently.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The betting market is an indication of how much money has been placed on a particular person (ie, the people the punters think will get the job), not necessarily anyone who is being considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

From the person touting Roy Keane?

If you want an example of someone going against the grain in world football. Look what the current Brazil manager is trying to do. The exact opposite of how modern day football is being played and they are failing and failing quick.They have gone from possession based football back to long ball, kick and rush and just try clatter the opposition. Football has moved on, whoever gets the Job should build on what Kenny tried to do, put some more structure on it and build upon it. to discard it will set us back further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

Not 100% true to be fair. The opening market generally represents who the bookies think has a good chance, so they go short on some "runners".

Any market moves then reflect where the bets are going. These are also easy money markets for bookies.

If people are backing keane for the job then god love them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The last thing we need to do is build on fùcking failure.

Christ.

If you fail to understand how football works then fine. Kenny deserves some credit for bringing through the young players. Next manager will have a young squad with caps ranging from 10-25. That's a great starting point and Kenny did change the mentality of the players.

Like it or not the Irish senior has basically failed almost all of the time. That's a fact and given how much the FAI invest in football in Ireland and the state of the LOI (some of that on the FAI and some on the clubs themselves) we are exactly where we deserve to be. In reality we have punched above our weight for decades.

He doesn’t want one. He has a child with DS or something and doesn’t want to be away from his family for extended periods as far as I can recall.

Any manager in the world would have brought through the players Kenny brought through. Who else were they gonna pick, I don’t get this praise. Ogbene is the only wildcard I can see that Kenny picked.

Eamon Dunphy our previous prime pundit said on his podcast he didnt know who Jamie McGrath was.

If any manager would have brought them through why didnt previous managers bring young players through?

I said he deserves some praise for playing them. He could have done what Mick did and stick with Randolf, long, james collins etc. But he didnt he put his faith in the young lads and the next manager will benefit from that. There was always going to be a assive reset and lets hope we can move onwards and upwards from here. Im not so sure that we will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The stats say Kenny brought in as many new faces as the previous managers.

I thought this had been put to bed tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The goalposts on that were shifted to something around age profile and a ‘missing generation’ so Kenny’s call ups mean more.

Mick never picked Long once, Kenny brought him back in. Kenny also used Randolph for the First Nations league campaign and also used Collins about 4 times…so your point isn’t really viable

Course its valid he used them for a few games and then got rid. He could have continued to use them, same with Hendrik and hourihane. He could have continued to use them.

Yes other managers capped players buy how many did it such a short period of time and how many of them were single caps?

Also many seem to forget how bad the football was under the end of MON and Mick. Its why the "so called media and LOI Fan boys" according to some on here wanted Kenny. He was the man in years to talk about our players positively and talk up their ability. He didnt get the best out of them but i fully agree with what he tried to do. It failed and we move on but if we throw out the foundations of what he put in place we will be left even further behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭billyhead

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement