Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

It was anything but comfortable - they were defending for their lives on their try line at the dying stages. Leinster made poor decisions in not taking the penalty or attempting the drop goal.

A comfortable one point win was Leinster's win in Thomond last December - where the closing 10 mins were played out with Leinster comfortably attacking in the Munster 22.

How a situation where La Rochelle are scrambling to defend (and repeatedly infringing I would argue) on their own tryline could be described as comfortable, I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Leinster were poor in the final, imo. Particularly JGP and Lowe. Lowe was awful. Molony was out on his feet and a non factor late in the match and Jenkins bought nothing to the party.

La Rochelle were deserved winners, imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'm not saying it's an excuse but I think it was a factor. And I'd always expect a team as good as Leinster to have certain purple patches (and the first 12 mins were as good a start to a final as I've ever seen).

But in terms of imposing your gameplan on the opposition, and having a template on how to beat them, LAR seem to be Leinster's kryptonite. Leinster could have snatched it at the end, but for the majority of the 2nd half, it felt to me like there was an air of inevitability about LAR getting in front.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

A comfortable one point win was Leinster's win in Thomond last December - where the closing 10 mins were played out with Leinster comfortably attacking in the Munster 22.

Iirc, there was plenty of sealing off that went unpunished that day too. But I wouldn't pin it on the ref - Munster needed to be more physical at the breakdown.

It's not adapting to interpretations - it's not being given a penalty you've clearly earned. There's very little adapting you can do in that scenario, and it's a bit trite and throwaway to just suggest that.

What would any team do in that scenario where the referee is simply not awarding penalties in a scenario where referees almost always grant penalties?

It quite clearly played absolutely into the hands of La Rochelle, and was a key contributing reason in allowing them to keep the pressure on.

For all of that La Rochelle "dominance" they were still getting relatively regularly turned over (plus other scenarios where they knocked on under pressure etc), and didn't really look like scoring a try till Colombe got over.

Go back and look at the incidents in question specifically yourself if you want to -

Look at:

(i) the penalty he gives against Henshaw in the 48th minute

(ii) the penalty he doesn't give Sheehan in the 51st minute. Sheehan is on the ball for a good 4 seconds, and Peyper never blows the whistle. It's a stonewall obvious penalty. Instead of getting the penalty, JGP box kicks off the resulting ruck, and possession goes straight back to LAR in the Leinster half.

(iii) the penalty he doesn't give JGP in the 52nd minute - after a dominant tackle from Conan around midfield. JGP is clearly on the ball for an extended period, before eventually being cleared out. This would have been a penalty with most referees, and an opportunity to have field position early in the second half in the LAR 22.

(iv) the penalty he doesn't give Henshaw in the 62nd minute - another one where Henshaw is on the ball clearly for an extended period, takes a really heavy hit from the late LAR clearers as a result, and all Leinster get for this is slow scrappy ball on or around halfway. This once again is one I think 9/10 refs give a clear and obvious penalty for.

(v) the utterly ridiculous penalty he gives against Jimmy O'Brien for contesting the kick in the air in the LAR 22 on the 62nd minute. It was absolutely a fair contest.

(vi) the penalty he gives against Caelan Doris, from which LAR kick to the corner to set up the extended end game. Doris was on his feet and on the ball again for an extended period, with no LAR cleaner there around it. It was an obvious penalty for holding on, which wasn't given. When eventually the LAR cleaners arrive, he penalises Doris.

Like it's all well and good saying Leinster didn't play the ref well, and couldn't build possession or territory, but if you watch it back, you'll notice Leinster are not faring badly in the physical exchanges for extended periods of that second half. There were dominant tackles in the 45-70 min period from multiple players, and Leinster turned them over at least 6 times (via jackals and other turnovers) during that period. But you have to be rewarded by the referee when you win a turnover, because that's what allows you to exit and build an attack in the opposition half.

Without that, any side would inevitably tire and eventually concede.

• Advertisement

Thanks, yeah, great considered analysis. Leinster were poor.

• I can't believe lads are still getting their knickers in a twist over a game that happened six months ago.

Hmm. Something tells me we just have very different opinions on things and are unlikely to agree. Will leave it at that.

Most of the recent posts on this thread is evidence of how readily people just seize onto narratives in forming their views on what happened, and they themselves then repeat those narratives, and it becomes a self-perpetuating circle.

I've attempted to provide multiple reasons in posts as to why I feel the way that game transpired, but the retort is "Well I think you're wrong, I just think Leinster were poor", , or "Leinster didn't play the referee well" and "Toulouse were tired because they played Munster the week before", and no more detailed engagement than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Leinster could have held on to the ball themselves more instead of kicking it away. If Peyper is refereeing the breakdown like that - not giving penalties for holding on easily - then La Rochelle's turnover threat (a huge part of their game) is diminished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

It's good to see some depth to be honest. I can't rewatch that game for another while yet but it's funny how narratives form around games. The year before all the narratives was around our ruck ball being slowed down but I rewatched the game and it only got slowed down on 3 occasions. Some narrative about Will Skelton dominating us when watching it on replay he was one of the worst players on the park, Doris was said to have a poor game that day when he was our best player on the pitch and constantly made tackles beyond the gainline with their big carriers. We also completely fucked our kicking game that day too and that's what cost us, along with Barnes making a horrific call over an Alla'atoa Jackal.

James Lowe had an awful day with the boot - he sliced some kicks badly, made poor decisions and the one really excellent kick he had in the second half he failed to identify that JGP had passed it to him from outside the 22, and it was therefore taken back.

But - he’d lost his mother who’d had a long battle with cancer just the week before so it’s natural his head wasn’t where it needed to be. He’s been an absolutely great player for Leinster, and I’m not pinning it on him, but it’s not accurate to say the kicking errors were all because of pressure - a lot of them were just bad execution.

You've provided good points. Peyper is and was awful. Still Leinster shooting themselves in the foot by not getting good exit kicks and failing to contest the l/o. We could have won and I think would have had Ryan stayed on and we could have kicked better.

I completely agree with this.

Some of the turnover ball in the second half was the sort of ball Leinster typically attack from, and the kicked too much of it away (poorly) that day.

Both half backs were poor and exerted very little control.

I’m not claiming Leinster played great, or that LAR didn’t deserve the win, I’m just saying the narrative that Leinster were blown away by a physically dominant LAR team and that the only solution would have been a big bruiser of a lock isn’t necessarily true.

A big lock still wasn’t going to help Leinster with their exits in that second half.

This is simply not true tho. All the following are "attempts to provide reasons as to why the game transpired as it did".

• Both times against La Rochelle their big players, particularly their pack, were able to wear Leinster down. 
    • When La Rochelle got going they were bouncing tacklers off, Leinster were having to double or triple up to make tackles.
    • Even at the line out Leinster were afraid to put men into the air.
    • ...they did it by blowing Leinster away physically.
    • La Rochelle were dominant in the scrum and dominant in the line out. 
    • The long and short of it, imo, is that LAR were significantly better at imposing their gameplan on Leinster than the reverse.
    • An alternative reading of which is that Leinster didn't adapt to the referees interpretations as well as LAR did.

Why is it "reasons" when you make a point but "narrative" when someone else does it?

It just seems like you disagree with people. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Should also be mentioned that Peyper and the TMO ignored a stone cold shoulder to Al'alatoa's head in the scoring of La Rochelle's winning try. The exact same act that he was sent off for subsequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

The refereeing thing is tough.

The fact is that they have a MASSIVE influence on the game, and enough of an impact that the tendencies of any one ref can absolutely affect who wins and lose. Its a tricky subject to talk about though objectively and not just start knocking refs.

Yeah, this is a fair point. I don’t generally like speaking about referees, but I do feel it was notable in that game how he refereed the breakdown, and it was a central factor in how Leinster couldn’t exit and why Leinster tired so much.

Because I’m citing specific incidents from the game where I think interpretation was a massive factor.

Some of the things you cite were said by people, but were clearly refuted: I.e the scrum wasn’t really a factor at all.

Some of the other points you’re listing aren’t reasons, they are just pure narrative: saying “they blew Leinster away physically” and “they wore Leinster down” doesn’t actually evidence anything. There’s nothing backing up the statement - it’s just opinion.

This started off as a debate because I disagreed with the notion that simply adding a big man into the Leinster second row would have won this game, and I attempted to do so by showing there were a multitude of other factors involved, factors which you’re not engaging with. You’re just doubling down on the same argument circularly.

Statements like it was a “dominant” win are objective nonsense for a one point win where they led for the first time with a couple of minutes to go.

You didn’t seem to accept my argument that Leinster have actually dominated Toulouse on a couple of occasions. A team with an equally monstrous pack, who just so happen to have beaten La Rochelle in every game of ROG’s tenure. You tried to explain that away with references to the Munster game the week before.

Those were actual displays of dominance (at the highest level of European competition too) where Leinster put up over 40 points on each occasion, and Toulouse were never in the game.

In this “dominant” display La Rochelle scored thirteen points, one try, and easily could have lost the game when defending for their lives at the end.

So here’s a simple couple of questions to conclude - was La Rochelle’s performance in the 2023 final more dominant than Leinster’s performance against Toulouse in 2022 or 2023?

How is it Leinster aren’t under powered against Toulouse’s pack?

Do you give any credence to the other reasons I cite for why Leinster lost the game? (Uncharacteristically poor kicking / exits, poor execution in the final mins when attempting to win, not getting any reward from the referee for repeated jackal turnovers in the second half)?

• Advertisement

Jimmy O Brien needs to lose the tache!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

You seem to be attributing arguments to me that I haven't made so I think I'm just going to leave it at that. For example:

You didn’t seem to accept my argument that Leinster have actually dominated Toulouse on a couple of occasions

I've literally said:

You have a point with regards Toulouse 

And

Do you give any credence to the other reasons I cite for why Leinster lost the game? (Uncharacteristically poor kicking / exits...

I've literally said:

Yes, Leinster's exiting could have been significantly better in that 2nd half

We just disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Whatever about how you feel about the refs or how we played or who was good or who was poor...

... All of these opinions are invalidated if we win by a point not lose by a point. The fine margin is what kills me

I wasn't attributing all the arguments in my last post to you - but you cited arguments that others put forward, so it's only reasonable that I responded to all of those points too.

If you accept the argument that Leinster have a pack that is sufficiently good enough to dominate Toulouse on multiple occasions, then it's absolutely illogical to claim that Leinster have a pack that just can't cope physically with La Rochelle.

It's a fairly tired narrative that is consistently thrown out, but it isn't the primary reason why Leinster lost the final in May.

Anyway - I'm fine to leave it too.

If you accept the argument that Leinster have a pack that is sufficiently good enough to dominate Toulouse on multiple occasions, then it's absolutely illogical to claim that Leinster have a pack that just can't cope physically with La Rochelle.

It's not tho; they play differently styles. I think it's fair to say LAR are more reliant on physicality and their pack than Toulouse.

Anyways, for the sake of the thread, agreed, let's leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭OldRio

Leinster v Munster tomorrow. 45,000 tickets sold I hear. Might be worth a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

This is hardly the place for something like that, it’s for people to endlessly argue nonsense and put the phrase I’ll leave it at that in multiple posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Advertisement