Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Your point was wrong just suck it up. You said he “could have stuck with long like Mick did” when Mick didn’t even pick him once so of course your point is wrong. The other examples you cited were also bullsh*t. They all played until they were injured (Randolph) or totally off form. Collins missed a sitter in the game we lost vs Luxembourg, Kenny picked him over Parrott. He brought on long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The first order of business for a new manager is keeping clean sheets. Establish a solid base, be aggressive off the ball and focus on squeezing space and being compact.

Then we can worry about the rest.

We’ve been shambolic at the basics under Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Yes wrong about Long, but point stands he could have continued to pick the senior/older players all the way through. Most of those he stopped picking are still playing.

Someone had to do what Kenny did, bescause young players were in the main ignored for 10 years its lead to very few late 20, early 30 year olds headn towards 50 caps. If we had that the senior team would be in a much better position. Its why the next manager will thank Kenny for having 21/22 years heading for 20 caps rather than 4 or 5.

Up to the middle of this year Kenny didn’t pick Hendrick in one competitive squad he was available for. He literally picked him every chance he could for a competitive game apart from Bulgaria at home .

Hourihane unfortunately is one of the worst players I’ve ever seen play for Ireland in my 30 years watching the team and he was got picked for every squad under Kenny (for which he was fit) up to the end of last year. when he cost us a goal vs Armenia at the end of 2022 he was eventually dispensed with.

Bazunu only got picked after Randolph got injured and kelleher was injured at the same time.

kenny brought through loads of kids. Just leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭Xander10

Moreso than Kenny, I hope that's the last we ever see of Keith Andrews near an Ireland coaching team.

Pure spoofer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Kenny picked kids myth is one of the most hilariously false straws to clutch.

He generally just picked the best available. It just happened a lot of the previous generation finished around the same time so a younger set of players came in. There was no great revolution he just picked the best available. You'd swear he actually made some big moves. He kept most of the old guard that hadn't retired, or become glorified bench mascots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard tonight 5 of SK backroom staff are gone, then seen this photo.

I count SK + 13 !!

What do they all do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭TokTik

Because they were 14-16 when McCarthy was manager. You do realise people get older as each year passes?

So who could Mick or MON have played that was left in the international wilderness until visionary Kenny came in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There is literally no mention of Mick or O'Neil in the post you quoted - what have they got to do with it?

The point is that the one benefit Kenny has brought is that he's given substantial caps to young players. I think many of those players would still have been given caps if those previous managers had been in the dugout, but I don't think that anywhere near as many would have so many caps now. He put real trust in lads like Bazunu, Collins, Molumby, Idah and Knight - probably too much trust in some of them to be honest, but that will stand to the next manager. As all those ex-pros say, it takes 20 caps before you're really settled into international football, and we've a lot more around that area than we might otherwise have had. Obviously everything else has been a washout, but that's a silver lining.

• Advertisement

How many caps did Doherty, John Egan, Josh Cullen get under them? Thats the point, the same old same old were given too many caps and young or mid 20 players not capped enough. You need to constantly try and bring through a couple of younger players and give them the experience of international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭trashcan

I was listening last night to the conversation Dunphy had with John Giles, and I found their lack of knowledge astounding. I’ll give Giles a bit of a pass since he doesn’t live here (he didn’t know that kids can’t goo the UK at 15 anymore since Brexit) 1In talking about academy’s etc, Dunphy didn’t acknowledge at all the good work being done by some LOI clubs academies, e.g Pats. I doubt if Dunphy knows who Sam Curtis is either, or James Abankwah, while he was lamenting the fact that the English system is closed to u18’s now, and suggesting kids could go to Europe instead. Of coursePats sold Abankwah to Udinese, and Sam Curtis is likely to leave this winter when he turns 18. LOI clubs and their academies needs be supported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭trashcan

And yet, you have Richard Dunne coming out and saying that Kenn was wrong to dump Shane Long, when in fact Kenny had brought him back after McCarthy had left him out. The fact is that there weren’t a load of senior players dumped by Kenny to bring a load of kids in prematurely. In fact, as you say, he quite often went with more experienced players, which didn’t workout great either.

But your point is wrong and has been shown up as factually incorrect.

kenny gave loads of young lads caps because there were young lads to cap.

mccarthy gave debuts to Josh Cullen, Aaron Connolly, Lee O’Connor, Troy parrott, mark travers and Jack Byrne in the course of his year. McCarthy (and O’Neill) gave debuts to lads that have never played for Kenny. He tried. I don’t think you realise Kenny was blessed with loads of young talents players coming through at one time that we hadn’t had in such numbers ever before.

kenny deserves credit for calling in Ogbene when he was not someone who was being talked about. He deserves credit for getting mikey Johnston to declare for Ireland.

but this is a total lie that he took out all the elder players. He put enda Stevens out against the French this year ffs.

Fantastic.

I miss Dunphy.

The absolute state of the current pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Ireland for a long time under Trapp and MON had an issue with lads not getting gametime until they were 23/24, meaning that by the time they were settled in the team they were gone a few years later.

If nothing else, at least we now have a squad who are used to international football at a young age, who will be available, and improving, for the long haul

The example cited for this theory is most popularly John Egan for Martin Oneill. Mon picked richard Keogh, John Oshea, ciaran Clarke, Marc Wilson and Egan wasn’t used all that much.

the problem is that O’Neill’s sides were excellent defensively so when people say Egan was wrongly ignored they do it in the context of this.

Mick gave out a few caps in meaningless games, but he didn't ever actually integrate or really put any faith into any of those lads to make a spot their own. I think that's the difference.

You mention 6 players there that Mick capped - how many competitive starts did they get between the 6 of them? One. One start, for Connolly against Switzerland. And that's it.... so it's very hard to try to equate the way Mick and Kenny brought in young players, as it's just night and day in how it was done, and how useful it is for the future.

Fair point, but he gave debuts out and gave Connolly a go in Switzerland. He did what he could. Josh Cullen has gone on to be in the XI. Parrott is bench fodder. The rest aren’t up to it on present evidence. It wasn’t like he was ignoring the claims of Evan Ferguson.

That's grand - but the point is that some people are trying to claim that Mick did just as much for young players as Kenny did, which is clearly evidently untrue. Mick handed out a few meaningless caps but didn't integrate anyone, while Kenny actually did. Circumstances were different, and Mick had more senior players to work with, but that doesn't make the claim that he did as much as Kenny in this area any less false.

As for Connolly, Mick was nearly lynched when he didn't start him against Georgia in the 0-0 draw (a week after Connolly had put two past Spurs), so it was huge public pressure as much as anything that make him give Connolly that one and only start in the next game a few days later. Honestly, I really don't blame him, he was tasked with a very short term role and goal, and perhaps rightly couldn't give a toss about the young players when it came to real games. So I don't even think it's particularly a slight on him to say he didn't do anywhere near as much as Kenny in developing young players - but he definitely didn't.

• Advertisement

I think there is a mass deliberate ignorance that Kenny had many many options with regards to young players that any of his predecessors didnt have and the point that set me off was another poster saying he sacrificed the experienced players to bring through the youth when he clearly didn’t. Still picking Hourihane all the time last year, still picking hendrick this year. Recalling Shane long. Recalling Enda stevens when Enda was never really good for Ireland.

Yeah, he particularly actually went back to some of the older lads after moving them away from starting positions for a while - it looked like Cullen, Knight and Molumby was our nailed on midfield 3 for a while there during the WC campaign.

I get that instinct to bring the auld lads back in too, while the kids were talented enough, there was too many of them and we really lacked that battle hardened experience of a few older heads in the middle of the park - like you see with Greece, where they're all in the late-20s sort of age and just so much toughened and composed as a result. But unfortunately the auld lads Kenny went back to are all just rubbish, and even more meek than the kids so it didn't help at all. I do think it's accurate to say that the kids would've been introduced much slower under someone else though - particularly in midfield (Mick's last midfield in Euros qualifying was Hourihane, Whelan, and Hendrick - Kenny's first midfield of WC qualifying was Cullen, Molumby, and Brown). But the overall transition from old to young wasn't as clean and immediate a split as some make out.

Chris wilder is surely a runner here that the bookies arent pricing up.

don’t think he’ll take the job but would say he’s a better chance than quite a few of the favorites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Doubtful if there will be anybody appointed until February,FAI won't want to pay 3/4 months wages with no games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

What happens to the kennyskids Twitter account now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It's already gone. Couple of weeks back he announced he was moving to a different account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭deisedude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

We’re told Kenny brought through a lot of young players when others wouldn’t. Mick and MON are other managers, directly before Kenny. Not a strange question to ask, who are the young players who others wouldn’t bring through. It’s not rocket science.

• Advertisement

Like who? Who did they ignore? What young players didn’t they pick ahead of Doherty, Egan, Cullen etc??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭deisedude

It's not the answer really.

Basically there was a lost generation from I think around 1992-1998 (willing to be corrected on the years) of players that weren't good enough to play international football.

Not Mick or Martins fault that a generation of players weren't up to standard.

That fault lies squarely at the FAI.

Our past success relied heavily on second and third generation Irish players and with that tap largely dried up it shows the faults of the FAIs development of young players.

We can't be surprised by the lack of talent coming through. We are near the bottom of the table for full time academy coaches in Europe, its largely well meaning volunteers giving up their time for the love of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Jaysus, the OTB crowd are like hyenas....they are now ripping Kenny to shreds now. They are all piling in, even Duggan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Just heard one of the off the ball lads say you wouldnt know how good Evan Ferguson is if you just saw him play for Ireland because he hasnt done anything for us. very harsh on him I think, he has just turned 19 and his Irish teammates cant get the ball to him, that is not his fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Mikey Johnston came on for Celtic and won the penalty that gave them the lead

• Advertisement

Ogbene with a quality assist. Another clean sheet goes awry for bazunu. Bazunu might cop some blame but it’s a cross that just goes all the way in. Not really much he could do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Some young Murphy lad on for debut for Newcastle,ex Galway Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Lucky enough to see him in one of his last games for Galway United. Looked quality even then but still surprised he has made his debut so soon. Highly rated, and hopefully a future option for our left back/wing position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭henke

I see Andrew Moran got his first Championship goal today and also an assist. Seems to be a fruitful loan move for him so far. Where do people who know better than me see his best position in an Ireland team?

Also, Szmodics scored again and is still top goal scorer in the Championship.

• Advertisement

Point being is these lads were young under those managers and were largely ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That was because the players getting picked were better than them at that time?

Same reason Kenny "largely ignored" Danny McNamara, Eiran Cashin, Festy Ebosele, Andrew Moran, Luke McNally etc. etc.

That’s not an answer. Who could any other manager have picked that they didn’t? Should Mick have picked 16yo Ferguson? 17yo Bazunu? 17yo O’Shea?

They were 15/16/17 under Mick ffs. Hardly ignored. Why wasn’t Kenny playing Vata? Zefi? Heffernan? Why “ignore” such talent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Alisson picked up an injury for Liverpool against City. No idea how long he'll be out for but a chance for Kelleher nonetheless. I really hope this is Kelleher's final season for Liverpool. Would be interesting to see how good he really is after playing 20-30 games in a row.

Be interesting to see if Kelleher or Adrian starts now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭adaminho

Why is there a dearth of players in their mid 20's with not many caps? The squad is either loaded with young players or old stalwarts.

I see Troy Parrot scored and assisted today also.

Doherty was starting in the premier league, John Egan was playing better football than Richard Keogh, Cullen the only one u could argue but we had no midfielders at the time coming through.

Are you referencing Micks first stint or 2nd?? I was talking about Doherty, Egan and Cullen........

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement