Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children stabbed in Dublin city centre **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think it took the Gardai a couple of hours to get their **** together.

I honestly think the powers that be let this happen. I can't see any other explanation.

It was planned on social media from at least 5pm. Probably earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

If only there was a slew of violent assaults in Dublin that could have warned us that the place was full of feral scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

My sympathies are with those who are currently in hospital, and and those who are recovering at home.

The most horrifying thing for me(outside of the crime) was how quickly this escalated from a horrific crime, to all out chaos. Even the Love Ulster parade didn't go down this badly, and they had weeks to organise the riots when that happened.

The maddening thing is that the wrong people, on both sides, will use this for their own benefit and disturbing agendas. The extreme left, and the extreme right will be very quick to use this. It will fuel things further on down the line, similar to how events of recent years have done the same.

It's definitely going to put a spotlight on those who said 'Dublin is safe' prior to this. This was in the City Center, not some poor suburb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

People have not firgit about the rampage but this is not why there were riots. This was opportunistic scumbags who have been steadily getting worse with the **** they try to pull to people trying to go about their daily lives

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

There is no excuse for what went on yesterday. It is mindless muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A perfect storm tipped over yesterday and if a lot of things don't change it will happen again.

Blame the scummy youth for being scum but don't ignore the under resourced policing capability, the weak revolving door self serving justice system and social welfare handouts that gives these people an armchair ride in society.

Blame the “right wing” for stoking the flames but dont ignore the huge number of normal people who protested peacefully to no avail in places like Inch, killarney, rosslare, fermoy and the north wall.

Blame the government for not consulting, integrating or being transparent in whats happening.

Blame the individual immigrant that commits the crime but dont ignore the conditions legitimate refugees have to live in, decades in direct provision is not right either. We need to address the balance of what people claiming protection get because the legitimate ones dont get enough and the chancers get to much.

This problem has multiple issues and people are quick and wrong to simplify it

No news overnight about the victims, hopefully they all recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Like the pro gun nuts in America, it's never the 'right' time to discuss gun control, same thing here there's never a good time to discuss immigration...it's front and centre now, everywhere in Western societies, if the centrist parties don't get a handle on it there's a Geert Wilders waiting in the wings...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Due to head Mater direction from the south side shortly, assume things have settled down?

The riot police took over at about 9pm last night.

It's been building for months or years even. Lots of anti immigrant protests everywhere, all over the country.

Then you've horrific murders by immigrants in last couple of years.

It just needed a spark and it got it today.

I knew there'd be rioting and mayhem.

The only positive thing is I don't think anyone was hurt amongst all the mayhem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pato79

I have heard O'Connell St. closed off

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Completely agree with this statement and I wanted to put up much the same.

We need to have all voices listened to and their legitimate needs and concerns heard.

Just labelling who caused trouble yesterday as thugs and scumbags and dregs will get us nowhere. Having taught DEIS children, marching into them won't get you anywhere. You need to listen and get on their side. What is the root cause and triggers of their anger.

Just like we need as a small island nation to have a very fair and democratic discussion on immigration and how that will look in years and months ahead. What can we fairly cope with and how can we let in great citizens who will only add to this country and minimise people coming in whose culture and views do not align with us. No child should be stabbed on the street, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

These are mindless ferals not "irish kids". They are burning the bus for fun nowhere near under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

The far right in Ireland are FF and FG who have defunded public services like policing for the past 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't think such base criminality was ever her concern in justice. Her focus was elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Labelling every little opportunistic scrote as far right is just galvanising them and is creating a cause and group .

Were they far right when small groups were assaulting tourists during the year?

Or open dealing in temple bar etc?

Media , gardai and some politicians are doing a fine job growing a far right movement in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭francois

Looting Foot locker will really stick it to the man.

Saw footage of feral scum cornering a Garda, luckily he was well built. A pack of hoodie and Canada Goose filth attacking him. Another Garda came to help, both had to leg it into a sgop, while the braying mob tried to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

It's not about "sticking it to the man".

Whatever that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I sadly agree. But I still have hope in humanity that they'd have done the right thing and not let this lead to violence.

But unfortunately, domino effect. Too many factors lead to this.

And honestly, condemning these people (the rioters I mean, I can't comment on the events before this) is, in my humble opinion, the wrong approach.

We need to open a dialogue. Back in the day, you'd have these folks on the Late Late Show or Prime Time, and they'd be debated, and often their opinions would be shown to be complete hokum. The best ways to quell the negativity is to put it out in the open, not lock it away as 'wrongthink'. I mean, issues that were controversial years ago (such as homosexuality) when discussed and debated on the LLS, showed how these folks were just regular folks who went home with someone of the same gender. Not monsters, vilified by the kinds of people who were doing some of the most heinous crimes themselves. Just people.

But there's nobody there who can do this sort of debate, anymore. The last time they tried that on Prime Time, they brought on the guy from Gript, and the host, Louise Byrne, made such a mess of things, that RTE ended up having to pay out around €20,000 to someone that was defamed by the Gript guy. Byrne wasn't long for replacing after that, and Miriam had to issue two or three apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

These louts can bearly string a sentence together. GRIPT is about as civilized as they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

I’m no expert in crime but I have experience in management, part of being a good manager is predicting trends and pre-empting problems.

when you see an American tourist losing an eye by being attacked by teenage feral thugs , you know you have a particular problem.

when you see daily videos of these teenage thugs rampantLy stealing bikes , e-bikes and motorcycles in broad daylight , you know you have a problem.

Allowing this open criminality to go on unchecked for the best part of a year , emboldened this teenage masked community and no doubt expanded them.

no doubt their notoriety on social media is part of the lure .

in short there’s probably way less than 2-400 scum like tis in the city who should have been specifically ‘taken out’ by law enforcement over the last year .

instead those ‘400’ set up media groups and rings to help each other and show whose in charge of the streets last night .

this didn’t happen in isolation , this was very predictable , Harris and Mc Entee are culpable and need to step down , if they’re not forced to, FG will suffer big time come elections, and rightly so.

100%.

I was thinking this recently.

Free speech is so important. People should feel free to speak their mind, even at the risk of offending people. I feel we've lost this.

Otherwise what happens they just express themselves in their "echo chamber" and nobody challenges their opinions, only agrees with them and further entrenches their beliefs.

This applies to everyone, not just the right. The left can be as dogmatic and inflexible.

We should be able to have healthy debates.

We shouldn't label everyone with concerns about immigrants as "far right". Tribalism is deeply human. In some sense it's completely natural to feel unwelcome towards people with different culture and religion moving into your neighbourhood.

I think with the housing crisis and cost of living, it's exacerbated people's concerns also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Wrong. Helen is great at her job and anyone who think's otherwise is a sexist/misogynistic pig .

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Can you imagine the anarchy if this child dies!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So you've no information at all to back up your claim, that's what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

And then they have reservations about arming AGS!

Shoot those bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement