Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I see they're still bombing the women and children in Gaza. They tell them to go to certain areas for safety and then they bomb them there. They know and they tell us that the Hamas fighters are underground yet they continue to target the women and children. Brave army the IDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Mearsheimer's a putinbot of the worst form. Hides behind his tenure to sling s**t against "The West." Pass on the vatniks especially fakes like this one.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭jmreire

300 to 500 klms of tunnels is the figures I heard about. Like I said earlier, only time will tell when the IDF fully control Gaza. And even after that, I'd think that there's a good chance that even then, there will still be questions unanswered.

Post edited by jmreire on

We’re soon going to enter the phase where the Hamas apologists who once said show me the tunnels will now say they always knew the tunnels were there, and have a sneaking admiration for Hamas having constructed them.

Well, if what the Israeli Ambassador said is true, that would mean 50 missiles per kilometer (at my figure of 50'000) and give Hamas hundreds of possible fire points to attack Israel from. Like I said several times, only when the IDF are fully in control will the full facts emerge. (hopefully) But why do you think that my figure of 50'000 rockets / missiles is excessive? I'm not saying that you are wrong, I'm just interested in what kind of figure you think would be there. Actually, the launch rate of Hamas missiles / rockets from Gaza has dropped off dramatically, but they are increasing now from Lebanon.

Post edited by jmreire on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

I wonder if "Electronic Intifada" is an unbiased news source ...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭tandcapply

I don't think that some people read the hostage release agreement.

Hamas picks the names, gives a list per day, based on what suits them (probably logistically due to where hostages are being held, unlikely that 236 +23 Thai workers are held in one tunnel or even all by Hamas, at least 30 are held ny Islamic Jihad as per Islamic Jihad itself). Hamas, over 4/5 days, is meant to release 52 women and children.

All the hand family is saying in the statement is that Emily isn't on the list for tomorrow's first 13 to be released.

If any commentor here thinks that Israel will plan punish Ireland by holding an 9 yo girl with family, all of which lives in Israel, shows that hatred towards Israel has no boundaries and really thinks that Ireland is a priority for Israel now or ever

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭tandcapply

I assume that you're just trolling the thread.

Not sure what could be going on in the head of someone that believes that any country would target it's own people,even Israel that seems to some to be the root of all evil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

Once we [take all of Gaza] it will probably take almost a year to clear the whole Gaza Strip, and to explore all their underground infrastructures, and find all their rockets and missiles . . . The strip is one big bunker,” said Avivi. “It’s full of booby traps, full of IEDs everywhere, bombs, munitions — it’s unbelievable what they built. So there’s going to be a lot of work.”

So Gaza is essentially a giant terrorist bunker with millions of human shields on top. It's kind of brilliant in a Dr Evil way.

Using their own women and children as human shields. Using hospitals and mosques to launch attacks anticipating the Neville Chamberlains in the West will call for ceasefires and appeasement.

Hamas are smart, far smarter than a lot of people in the West evidently. Imagine if they put their considerable abilities to use for good instead of only killing their neighbours and killing their own people?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

He's been shown to be a Russian tool. Why believe anything he says, and why click his videos and earn him money. If you can bother, why don't you summarize his points and debate those, rather than just point to some video from a putinbot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭brickster69

Israel's military doctrine allows it's military to target it's own in the event of a possible hostage situation. It is common knowledge through interviews and eye witnesses that this happened on the 7th.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Opening paragraph of that article states that the directive was revoked in 2016.

If you are going to make a case with references, you should at least read a bit of them.

Posters are regularly making their arguments with links to back them up, and when reading beyond the headline, that article makes the opposite case.

How long would it take to invoke do you think. Fact is 28 helicopters and jets were used, tanks were used to attack settlements, they bombed their own bases which were under attack and orders were given and received to do this. Hundreds of Israeli soldiers killed that day and the helicopter pilots are on record as saying they had no idea who they were shooting at.

Not excusing Hamas's role that day in any way, but plain as day hundreds were killed by friendly fire.

www.instagram.com/reel/Cz6iQIji1Ph/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I thought Irish neutrality was important to the left? If so, why are they so eager to close down diplomatic channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm just assuming/guessing Hamas stockpiled rockets for the 7th and fired as much as they had as quickly as they could.

You say yourself they didn’t know who they were shooting at. That is different to deliberately targeting with friendly fire to prevent hostage taking.

You are victim blaming. The deaths on that day were 100% caused by Hamas actions. They are proud of the killings. No need for you to make excuses on their behalf.

I'm not saying that you are wrong (I don't have a 100 % reliable figure either) But I remember one Hamaz spokesperson claiming that they had 100'000 Rockets / Missiles etc. (he could have been including Mortars in that figure) so I went with the 50'000 figure. That seems reasonable to me for the kind of war Hamaz expects. If you have seen any Russian / Ukraine multiple rocket launching vids, even 50'000 rockets will not last too long. For instance, a BM-21 122-mm MRL can fire all rockets in 6 seconds or fire each singly and can reload in 5 minutes. It can fire the 40 rockets or any part thereof at a fixed 0.5-second interval. Single rockets can be fired manually at any desired interval. One volley from a BM-21 battalion is 720 rounds. I doubt that Hamas has any BM-21's, none the less, several teams working together can fire quite an amount singly. 3'000 that they fired in the same day, and 7'000 in the same week, is quite some doing without using a multiple rocket Launcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I've heard the 100,000 figure before, but that was in relation to Hezbollah. Considering about 10,000 missiles fired so far from Gaza this year, that's more than fired in the 10 years preceding it. Hard to believe they have 10x the amount. They have been planning for 2 years, that's a hell of a lot to stockpile.

Just because Hamas have shown they can fire 3000 missiles in 4 hours doesn't mean they have a large stockpiles of 50 or 100k.

I'm sure if they had a supply that large they would have been firing 24k a day for 4 days straight to overwhelm Israel's air defence.

Of course they could not distinguish who was in a car, who was in a house and who was running through a field.

The point is when you fire on someone you need to be certain that person is the enemy and even the people doing the firing admitted that they knew they would be hitting their own people in the process. That is why they requested the order to do so and that order was given.

The whole idea of that directive was to prevent hostages being taken regardless of who they shot. Maybe if they never did that loads more hostages would of been captured and many more Hamas would of escaped also.

I agree Hamas's actions that day was the cause of the deaths, but i also accept that years of Israels documented crimes against humanity played a part of those actions also. Don't you ?

- Camille Paglia

I’ll address your last paragraph, and give some elaboration. The origins of this conflict clearly go back many years, and the actions of Israel cannot be described as mild. The actions of settlers on the West Bank is wrong and cannot be condoned.

I think the fundamental question that divides people on this forum is whether the state of Israel has a right to exist.

If you believe not, then nothing they do can be in any way acceptable. If you do, then it is possible to form the opinion that it is understandable that they are armed to the teeth, and aggressively defensive, given that they are surrounded by neighbours that openly campaign to eliminate them.

The Israeli response to the most recent attack by Hamas has been exceedingly brutal, and I suspect that Hamas use that to their political advantage.

I do think that the Israel / Gaza war is particularly contentious because of the Jewish element to the conflict. It has been pointed out numerous times on this thread that there have been vastly more barbaric conflicts in the Middle East between Arab nations, and these have not stirred the same level of debate on this site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

What are you referring to, circadian?

I’m not disputing that friendly fire casualties are likely to have happened. I’m quite sure that day was pandemonium.

Not once in over 700 pages has anyone to my knowledge disputed Israel's right to exist.

Why is it when you ask a question like - Do Palestinians have the right to self defense people flee to the hills, refuse to answer and never to be seen again. I mean it is like saying the French resistance never had a right to resist the occupying Nazi's isn't it. It is black & white.

Anyway, looks like another crackdown on the press is incoming.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 30,053 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@Brickster69 Yes, lots of people have disputed Israel's right to exist. Anybody who chants "From the river to the sea..."

As for the French resistance. The French resistance didn't go door to door deliberately executing entire families of German civilians. They didnt mutilate and kill children, civilians. They didn't kidnap German kids as hostages.

Your historical comparison is false, and is a deliberate attempt to downplay the atrocities Hamas inflicted on civilians. Hamas are a terrorist scum death cult. They are not freedom fighters.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Sorry I thought you were referring to the tank that blew up the car in the Gaza strip a week or so ago.

Firing rockets at your neighbour isn’t self defence. It is aggression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Economics101

This was in response to the Dublin Lord Mayor cancelling a meeting with the Israeli ambassador. Why do Irish local politicians get so involved with foreign policy? THey should stick to what they elected to do: street cleaning, provision of parks and other facilities, road maintenance, etc. THey should have more responsibilities, even if only to stop them sbing distracted by Gaxa or whatever. Problem is, they are of such low calibre, you would't put them in charge of toilet cleaning.

Oh right. So someone illegally invades and occupies you, throw your kids in prison, go into peoples homes with a gun and say " **** off this is my home now " build a ghetto around 2.5 million people, tell them they have to leave their homes or they will be blown up and then call them animals who should be destroyed.

What do you expect them to do bake them a cake and give them a bunch of roses ?

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

Do you think Palestinians has the right to self defense under international law ?

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement