Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Irish Gigs (Confirmed & Rumoured Events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Only slight pain is you can't add a gift card as a default payment method like a debit or credit card

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball from Gomez playing Whelans on 20/03/2024.

Saw them in Whelans this year. Really enjoyed the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

A̶C̶/̶D̶C̶ ̶D̶u̶b̶l̶i̶n̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶4̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶f̶i̶r̶m̶e̶d̶.

A̶u̶s̶t̶r̶a̶l̶i̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶m̶b̶a̶s̶s̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶w̶i̶t̶t̶e̶r̶.̶c̶o̶m̶:

https://twitter.com/AusEmbIre/status/1726957672602464331

(sorry if this had been shared already; way too many posts here over the last three days to check all of them)

EDIT: unconfirmed rumor only unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Not a confirmation sadly. Just some trigger happy Aussie

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

Aaargh, vicious! :(

Thanks for clearing this up, @The Nal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Thanks, I just bought one for myself (along with a couple for the kids) and then tried to activate it. I got a message:

Order queried

Please allow 12 hours for this code to be activated whilst our team reviews your order.

Is this the norm to stop me buying the card to effectively get an immediate 10% discount on tickets I was going to buy today anyway?

EDIT: It got cleared after a hour or so and I bought the tickets I wanted. It's a needlessly painful process. I copied the voucher code into the field and got a green tick beside it but it still tried to take money from my credit card when I went to pay. It was only by messing around for quite a while that I understood the green tick meant nothing and you had to delete all the spaces in the voucher number for it to be recognised and couldn't just copy and paste from the pdf.

Post edited by Unrealistic on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,339 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pearl Jam heavily rumoured to headline Mad Cool Festival in Madrid who usual announce the line up early December

Knowing our luck both PJ and AC/DC will announce tours with tickets on sale the same day/week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I'm not going to pay out mad money for just any gig anymore, bar the odd exception. McCartney, Stones and Pearl Jam would probably be on theat list but AC/DC might be another. If any/all of these potentially play next year, we will here before Xmas about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Bizarre thing for an official account to say. Tbh they sort of have to say something like that even if they know its true.

The mayor of Munich did let slip AC/DC are playing though

• Advertisement

Pearl Jam is expected in the next couple weeks I think

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Layne

They would want to be getting on with the announcement if there is one, many people have already decided on their gigs for 2024.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Paul Young is playing Cork Opera House on 27 February, Limerick's University Concert Hall on 28 February, and Dublin’s 3Olympia Theatre on 29 February 2024.

Tickets on sale Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Depends, will probably be at least one or two major show announcements next week as the last of the pre Christmas summer show/festival announcements.

then mid/late January for next major announcements timed with pay day

Nothing announced for Galway Arts Festival yet and they had a series of announcements in the first week of December last year so hopefully that's going to be repeated.

The Galway airport shows taking a bite of their audience

• Registered Users Posts: 11,779 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Any Dublin gig announcements might be pushed back until after Christmas after the riots. Know it's hopefully a once off and events not til next summer but people might not be in a hurry to fork out straight away on tickets and accommodation after it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Airport shows apparently reduced from 10 to 6 shows by the council to protect the Arts Fest. Needless I think as the audience is there for both. The catchment area is effectively the whole of Connacht and Co. Clare.

Only a motion at this point and they already announced 6 and MCD might have already agreed/locked in some or all of the remaining 4 shows they had previously agreed with the council who own the site .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The motion was passed three days ago by the City Council but they have only half control over the airport which is shared with the County Council who approved the gigs. Cue a pissing contest between the local preening popinjays.

Pretty sure you’re correct and all ten nights are booked. I’d expect that Fatboy Slim and/or the Wolfe Tones are both earmarked for a second night and hopefully it’ll proceed, even with generally poor acts. The Waterboys and Pixies make up for some of that.

It may also force the Arts Fest to have a more imaginative Big Top lineup. 2 or 3 decent acts per fortnight isn’t sufficient.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 louiser21

Who are we thinking is looking to play in august its on the dublin city council website 👀

There's lots of differing opinions about that locally. I was talking to one local promoter this evening (county not city) who was adamant it's a different demographic for the airport and that there's enough demand for both. I don't see it that way. I've got tickets for the Waterboys and Pixies and I would have been much happier seeing either of them in the Big Top in town than out at the airport. Having spent money on those tickets I guess I'm less likely to spend money on a Big Top gig for an act I might not be passionate about but which I might have been willing to take a chance on as part of the Arts Festival buzz.

Hopefully the Arts Festival responds by upping its game.

@Seathrun66 The motion was passed three days ago by the City Council but they have only half control over the airport which is shared with the County Council who approved the gigs. 

As I understand it that motion is not binding on the Council Executive so they have no obligation to take act on it at all. The news this week about the Executive refusing to even tell Councillors whether the city traffic management system is switched on or not is indicative of the disdain the Executive seems to have for the elected members, so I'd be surprised to see anything coming from that vote.

Post edited by Unrealistic on

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭1992ChainGang

A good 6 weeks ago I heard AC/DC were booked for Croke Park August 17th. The Stones' US tour would line up for an August Dublin date but I would think they may take a longer break between legs as their US tour ends in July I believe

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Nickelback announcing a European tour next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ekano

Nickelback threating a European tour next week

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Never really understood the stick theyve gotten, not saying they are the best band in the world but def worse bands out there imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Tbf I don't get it either.

Foo Fighters good comparison are all too similar, but ones like the biggest band of that era and the others the butt of all jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Nickelback don't have half the back catalogue of Foos. Foos have a fair bit of filler in their back catalogue and a hell of a lot of good stuff. Same can't really be said about Nickelback imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

Probably ~20 years ago I went for food after a rake of pints in town. To my horror I had left it too late to get burger king and all that was left open was poxy abrakebabra. But I was drunk hungry so off I went.

The queue didn't move at all ... after what felt like a thousand ages of man I walked up top to ask what the story was only to find Nickleback there. They had ordered enough food for a small-mid sized country.

This meant that those of us at the back of the queue were told that they were closing for orders. Some guy from Cork went BANANAS at the lead singer guy (Chad?) for depriving him of his curry chips etc.

Chad laughed.

I went home and ate whatever was in the freezer wrapped in whatever was in the breadbin.

I knew then that Nickleback were the worst band of all time. The Foo Fighters wouldn't have done that to us. I can picture me and Dave Grohl sharing a kebab, swapping details, ultimately becoming best friends and spending our summers in Cabo.

I assume everyone has had a similar experience with Nickleback and that is the reason for the hate, which is quite justified IMO.

No word of a lie I haven't frequented an Abrakebabra since, nor have I made it to Cabo.

Nickleback B*stards.

Advertisement