Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children stabbed in Dublin city centre **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,835 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Most Irish won't apply for minimum wage jobs as they feel like they are above them.

I know I wouldn't work one. Would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They never got any significant Irish support so had to import people into Ireland to protest against people being imported into Ireland.

Really intelligent bunch tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

In her words "We're not savages" and fair **** to her. She's right, we follow the rule of law and if we lose that then whats the point? If the mob got their hands on that fella and killed him that'd have made last night multiples worse, green light to kill foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I was talking to someone today who works at a Garda station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Disgraceful scenes last night, really appalling. The situation was clearly exploited by some, and even the agitators mush have been surprised at the level of support.

While the violence is reprehensible, it is still time to admit that there has been far too much immigration and it does need to be stopped. It's far too expensive to rent a house, the capacity for more people is just not here, all public services from schools to policing to A&E are struggling to cope.

The population has increased by too much too fast. Up by almost one-third between 02 and 2022, and then we had 100,000 refugees arrive with a housing crisis already well underway.

It's a pity immigration became such a left v right issue. Common sense would tell any reasonable person it's too easy to come here and that violence in protest is totally unacceptable. Neither should be controversial or ideological statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

Nah, that line of reasoning just doesn't float.

What about before mass migration? Were there so many lazy irish that the country magically became mega attractive for the world to try and squeeze in? How'd that happen? Who constructed that in the first place?

It's just a convenient excuse to criticise people for not working in competition against people from backgrounds with oftentimes vastly lower expectations.

Again, this isn't quantum physics.

If that imported labour pool wasn't there, business would have to raise standards. And it would be in an environment where the likes of housing isn't at bursting, hence win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Is there a big issue with illegal immigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Meet_Yur_Maker

Had to stop watching, an ameerican lad going on about ‘mis-info’ while giving mis information on the incident himself… ffs, you couldnt make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Just wondering where last night’s mob was when that poor cleaner was stabbed to death in the IFSC a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I'd imagine you are not the only one. I'd say a lot of employers would also be more inclined to hire young foreign workers with degrees and MAs for menial jobs also, rather than Irish school dropouts. Who can blame them? Immigration is very good for you if you're already wealthy, not so good if you're from an unskilled Irish person. I've hired immigrants and rented property to them also, they're generally very reliable. But the problem is a fair chunk of the Irish indigenous population are ending up disadvantaged, can't rent houses, they have seen public services decline under huge pressure from a quickly increasing population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭tom23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭tom23

I know plenty of people, with degrees who cant even afford to rent, and even they could they are in serious competition with 100's of potential renters. We have a perfect storm raging in this country at the minute. Im glad Im not starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Immediately throws out racist tropes towards the Irish. Tells you all you need to know about this cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

This is the heart of it. Greed, creating an ever more unequal and destabilising society.

My fracking analogy is bang on point.

What we saw last yesterday, both the attacks and the rioting, is simply reaping what has been sown.

It's not going to go slow down. Its going to speed up.

And it'll get worse the longer we play ignorant to root causes. Neo liberalism policies utilising mass migration as weapon on society to extract money.

It's that simple. It's never going to be anything else but simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

7 cars, 3 garda cars, a luas tram all destroyed.

Loads more vehicles damaged (garda and civilian), thats not even counting the property damage and looting.

I'm f**king disgusted at these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,022 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Its a good question, maybe our minds are being polluted by social media. Italy, France and Sweden do seem to be having issues, no reason why it could not escalate here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You don't think the Gardai need oversight???

Short memory chief.

McCabe nearly took his life because of the smear campaign initiated by senior Gardai. The man was trying to expose how rotten, corrupt and lazy the Gardai were and they tried to end him. 2 commissioners were heavily involved in smearing a very good man. They even used TUSLA.

They faked 1.5 million breath tests in order to be able to sit on their arses doing nothing.

They quashed penalty points for the elite.

We need more whistleblowers to root out the corrupt Gardai. But they are too scared now for obvious reasons.

Get some perspective on a GSOC with very little power before you give the Gardai a carte blanche to become corrupt and lazy again.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Fair play to all involved in helping out yesterday after the stabbing incident, but I see someone has started a go fund me page so people can donate to buy a pint for Caio Benicio

I don't think this is a good idea in any shape or form. Will only cause more hateful remarks. Yes he was great and brave as were the other people who helped out but they have not been included in this go fund me

Maybe the money should be used for helping in the clean up, or help for the children in the school affected

• Registered Users Posts: 16,022 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Did i knock down your dog or something, its nothing but sneaky comments from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

There should be more discussion on immigration. It seems to be a no-go area for a lot of politicians and media outlets and avoiding it gives a voice to some really nasty people.

Personally I think we’ve benefited from people immigrating but we shouldn’t be allowing potentially dangerous individuals in. Helen McEntee said people are also expected to self deport after deportation orders are made which seems crazy.

We also need long term plans for the feral youths and how to get them to participate in a functioning society or else to get them off the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mick Wallace could have just left it at thoughts and prayers, but he just had to get a little dig in about the war in Gaza. What an a-hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean we just didn't have jobs here. There was a reason we had masses of people leaving the country. but yeah, for a country to become attractive it has to have high paying jobs and then the locals set those as their standards. This pattern can be seen around the world with migration. There are lazy people everywhere including Ireland.

You would need to show that the jobs would be there. A lot of MNCs with a big mix of Irish and foreign workers would not be able to replace solely from the local population, this will drive those Irish working for them further down the job market and you are competing with them instead. A lot of people buying things are from abroad so there would be less shops required and less people working in shops.

And housing would still be bursting. We would just have less built.

It isn't quantum physics but it does take a layer of thinking of the actual effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Meet_Yur_Maker

Unfortunately he’s not the only one-ive seen similar on here last night, with a number of people saying how the scummers rioting were the same as the men in 1916 and we were all putting them down just as society did back then. 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

this all ties back to the Childrens act 2001 or whatever year it was

garda and judiciarys hands were tied and this is the result

its not the far right, its not the shinners, its not the immigants, its the government at fault

no one controls them

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

What happened in Dublin yesterday was appalling, depressing and downright frightening .... the whole thing ... from the stabbing to the riots ... was awful ...

The Gardai and no one else should deal with the actual crime scene, investigate and bring to justice the perpetrator ... no vigilantes or mob rule ... it is horrible what goes on with people taking law into their own hands .... worse though of all is the far right morons taking advantage ... spreading their hatred ... using and abusing events to further their vile agenda ...

These far right organisations, parties and individuals all share the same traits .... pro war, pro violence, pro racism, pro intolerance, pro homophobia, pro misogyny, pro conspiracy theory ... they need to be treated like ISIS and Al Qaeda and their cause taken from them ...

The govt needs to act on things that fuel their cause .. at present homelessness and the housing crisis seems to drive them and in the past it was long counterproductive Covid 19 lockdowns commonly called Level 5 restrictions in Ireland ... the govt need to be aware of what annoys people and what far right can use as a cause ...

Further to that the state does need to impose anti hate legislation and needs to reframe free speech as responsible free speech .... it also needs to take down the main individuals who are known nationally and locally ... and recognise parts of the country like Dublin and Waterford City where there are very active cells of such morons promoting their vile agendas ...

With the rise of madmen in the world like Trump, Mojtaba Khamenei, Netanyahu (and his far right coalition partners), the leaders of ISIS and Al Qaeda, the guy in Argentina who won, the guy in Netherlands who won, etc. ... it is clear a sizeable minority of people are sucked into the far right horror show, a minority that is enough to put a far right party into a position to form a govt in those countries that are not already far right dictatorships .... even more worrying is that the Republicans in America have become a total far right party and the Tories in the UK halfway there ... the world needs to wake up and talk to people who lived before 1979 in Iran who then supported the Khamenei far right but now regret it since they took power ... or to those who lived in Germany during the 1940s who also regretted their once love of Hitler .... sadly history repeats itself and people still put their faith in far right lunatics ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

No we can’t expect this to happen.

We should never expect this to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The judges and free legal Aid solicitors think it’s ok to do this stuff !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement