Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• The international response is interesting to say the least. Israelis on X having a big digeen at Irish gov.

• Funny how yesterday has spawned what will likely be a big change in political landscape. Don’t wanna vote for existing parties who all sing off same hymn sheet, don’t wanna vote far right hooliganism, I predict the birth of a new centrist party over coming month that will attract mainstream voters. Badly needed. A few will jump ship from existing parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭pjordan

Double post edited

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭pjordan

Not at all seeking to blame an individual (even less so one party to the Stardust tragedy) as this is the LL thread I was just pointing out the recklessness and ill considered judgement of the Liveline editorial team in putting an unedited non professional reporter eyewitness live on air as the situation was still unfolding in a very terse atmosphere. Even the actual professional reporter on to Joe before her preempted the caution with which such situations should be handled when he said something to the effect of I have an eyewitness here with me that you might want to talk to subject to the perspective of your editorial team. It’s one thing interviewing eyewitnesses for use in edited inserts afterwards. It’s entirely another situation using them on the fly in a live and uneditable volatile situation. But Joe and his crew love and thrive in the drama and spontaneity of the live emotions and in the moment immediacy, all good and well perhaps for the general cut and thrust sob stories of LL but potentially very dangerous in a situation like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,365 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes options for change are limited, I think recently SF support is growing outside working class areas but it's completely tanking within them because of their support for immigrants being moved in to those areas.

• Advertisement

• Mary Lou doesn’t know what to be doing atm, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭squonk

Are you new here? 😀. A transition year radio production would look more professional side by side with Joe. It defy help matters that the production staff are overridden by Lord Clontarf regularly so I’d say he was creaming himself at the thought of getting the woman on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭archfi

AGS is a mess and it's been known for a while from the top down and the govt of the day have a big hand in that whether it's politicising them, prosecuting them, gender quoting them, under resourcing them, intersectionalising them.

I'll say it - it's no use having 5 foot nothing female guards, out of shape and speccy at that (and that's lots of male guards too), patrolling anywhere. And that's IF there's even a foot patrol to be seen in Dublin city. Watching the Sky News stationery camera on Parnell Sq, you could see loads of them waddling about.

Don't forget McEntee and Drew Harris looked like they wanted garlands thrown at them for their announcement of a new Garda station on our main boulevard in our capital city only a short while ago which turned out to be a glorified Tourist Info office.

👆️These are not serious people = sparrowlegged scumbags can do what they want and they know it, weak non-existent street policing + not enough properly trained, fit capable guards and proper salary for them + revolving door justice system + possibly the worst city council in the world...it goes on and on and has festered over the past decade or so.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭Tow

The Garda morale is so low because they did not see any results to their hard work. What's the point of arresting offenders, processing the paperwork, attending court cases just to see them having a slap on the wrist and clocking up another previous conviction.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• That’s why Liveline can be dangerous at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Funny how de brave Brazilian seed de day yet feral thugs were allowed steal bikes food etc

I was a bit shocked lately to see be recruits coming out of Templemore fully qualified as I could ascertain after only 8 months! That send crazy. It’s an important job. Steely another year would round them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Wonder if Joe will cover anything from yesterday or will it be some one who found an old Christmas pudding in the back of a cupboard, and wonders should they eat it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Its safe to say the entire garda curriculum needs an overhaul. 8 months seems shockingly short to learn all the things an average guard needs to know. Also, a pragmatic approach is needed. If a guard's career is going to be spent on Pulse and doing paperwork, maybe 8 months is sufficient. However, you would wonder, especially after last night, how much time is dedicated to controlling crowds, reacting to riots, etc? Are they trained in the use of a water cannon? Pat Kenny said this morning, why did they not deploy mounted police to aid the situation?

The is a possibility dat today will be a no Joe day. De top RTE brass not happy with yesterdays show, blaming de bould Joe for a riots in our wonderful fair city.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,365 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The 'far right' label being thrown about day in day out is crazy, by the criteria they are using someone in leafy Dalkey or Blackrock objecting to a halting site going in their area is a member of the far right

• Simple labelling doesn’t put a halt to the problem, but they do have to be seen to be wringing the auld hands.

• Advertisement

I’ve a feeling Joe won’t broach this. I do hope though that he’ll be reigned in by the higher ups and ta he en off air. If I was KB I’d be paying particular attention to yesterdays show as a valid reason to invalidate the fat lads contract.

• Surely he won’t get away with ignoring the elephant today, unless as a segue to Chiselers of de Roisin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I was listening to Neil Prendeville in the car for a while earlier. Some sensible callers, but Jesus there's some number of whackers in Cork who seek to justify the riots in Dublin yesterday. Some of the theories that were put forward by callers included:

- The riots were organised by the Gardai to undermine anti-immigrant protestors

- The rioters were mostly foreigners who shouldn't have been allowed into the country in the first place.

Several repeated the mantra "you can replace the buses but you can't replace the children" (as if it were a choice between one and the other???). 

That said, the issues discussed are far closer to what people care about than the horseshit being dished up by Liveline in recent months. It struck me also was how vastly superior Prendeville is to RTE's citizen journalist and part-time telephonist, despite being on a fraction of his wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Joe, as an ex Social worker, will have a particular slant on this that may not coincide with the majority

On the other hand, they attacked a fibre-gade veh-ickle - so he'll probably want the antagonists burned at the stake!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Joe sounding very downcast:

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• JOE

Little did we know what would evolve yesterday. We will be talking to everyone who was present in de 1916 riots

De elephant will be phoning in 🐘

Siobhán Kearney from yesterday and her description of perpetrator as an Eastern European

Justice for Riley Helpless Grapevine,

banned from anudder thread

Joe, still gainfully contracting.

Today’s topics which may or may not be discussed:

·        De trouble in town.

·        Talking to de Garda.

·        Ferial Youths.

·        Eye Witness’s wanted.

·        Public Transport and lack of thereof, except for the brave DART which kept going.

·        Brazil lad who crash helmeted the attacking lad.

It’s a fair point actually that RTE doesn’t ready reflect the more pressing public issues out there. Yeah I knew there’s a frontline but other than that we have Liveline that reflects whatever Joe is tugging himself off to in that particular week. The remainder of the output is slanted to ignore any dissenting views. I’ve a feeling Pele might be more worried if she if the general loppers had an order and that night out pressure in the government to deal with the so this ask might not have harkened. Another way RTE aren’t for for purpose

• Advertisement

could we borrow the French riot squad to sort the kip out, ya know wat I meen

Advertisement