Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

myself and pal going to saracens match, staying in air bb right beside Wembley Stadium, anyone know of some good watering holes around north London close to Stone x stadium? cheers folks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Mack and Boyle back for the Leinster match next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I see that potentially Tiernan and Willie le Roux might be facing off this weekend. I still cringe at the tackle Le Roux made on Tiernan. And the ensuing top of the back vs landing on his head argument was such a joke https://twitter.com/i/status/746729181988392960

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Earliest he'll be back is the first European game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Very interesting thread on Cathal Forde:

https://nitter.net/SamLStandsUp/status/1724066091851255860#m

Would be interested in seeing an analysis of how our centre partnership failed to trigger last weekend. We depend on Forde and Farrell breaking lines which simply didn't happen. Don't understand rugby well enough to identify the cause

I think the outside backs just didn’t see the ball. First off the sharks had the majority of possession, backs can’t do anything when they don’t have the ball.

When Connacht did have the ball it was very much on the back foot and seemed the game plan very much looked like kick the ball deep.

Not the most attractive game plan but it got the result. Would also say that Reillys kicking game is superior to Blades.

Rodney Ah You is back in training

• Advertisement

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS VODACOM BULLS

15:00 Irish time, Saturday 25th November 2023 @ Loftus Versfeld

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (225)

14. Byron Ralston (20)

13. David Hawkshaw (17)

12. Cathal Forde (17)

11. Diarmuid Kilgallen (19)

10. Jack Carty (198) (C)

9. Colm Reilly (22)

1. Denis Buckley (232)

2. Tadgh McElroy (5)

3. Finlay Bealham (190)

4. Darragh Murray (12)

5. Joe Joyce (5)

6. Oisin Dowling (48)

7. Shamus Hurley-Langton (23)

8. Sean Jansen*

16. Dylan Tierney-Martin (28)

17. Peter Dooley (22)

18. Sam Illo (12)

19. Niall Murray (60)

20. Sean O'Brien (2)

21. Caolin Blade (175)

22. JJ Hanrahan (4)

23. Conor Oliver (66)

McElroy and Reilly continue with starting spots is interesting.

Interesting side - they've gone for size, with Dowling at 6, and a 6-2 split on the bench.

Hawkshaw looks pretty small to defend the 13 channel, and don't really ever recall him playing there before.

Will be very keen to get a look at Sean Jansen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I'd have thought 12 is where you'd be more concerned about size. More likely to get a big back row running at you. At 13 you typically want someone with a bit more mobility. Aki /Henshaw & ringrose for instance. McCloskey & Hume. It's also why wingers tend to cover 13 more than 12.

Now what'll be interesting is if he has the defensive head for the 13 channel.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

Please don't cut-off the concentration under the heat and thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Given the absence of Farrell, Heff, and especially Prendergast, I think management are treating this as a shot to nothing. This selection meas that everyone on the tour squad has received some minutes, so will be good for morale.

Hawkshaw is not wanting for bravery or fight, it'll be interesting to see how he manages at outside centre. I liked him at 12 last year, but there is a bottleneck there so it makes sense to try and redeploy him. Instinctively I'd have put Ralston in at 13, but good to see them try something new?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Knowing how tough the altitude is I'd be over the moon with no injuries and a losing BP.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

I'm actually disappointed to see Carty in the 23, never mind starting.

That 10minutes period against Edinburgh basically cost us the game. He should need to earn his spot back in the team, but it doesn't feel that way. Obviously I dont see how he performs in training, but too often in matches his errors have hurt us way more than anything positive he has done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Like it or not lads Carty is on big, big money for somebody unlikely to ever be capped internationally again after his renewed deal and is captain. He's not going to disappear from the 23 no matter how poor he's playing.

I don't agree with him getting such a long deal as I don't feel he'd earnt it but that's unfortunately the way it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

Definitely seems to be some risk-taking with the deployment of Hawkshaw at outside centre. A difficult position if you're used to playing 12 and we saw Bundee get caught out playing there for Ireland against Italy in the 6N this year. Be great if it works out.

I too thought he was great playing at 12, but between Cathal and Bundee he's going to be third choice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

Jaysis, Cathal Forde's head won't fit though the door of the dressing room if he looks at that thread!

It's an interesting team selection. I wouldn't be a fan of it. Couple of things are hugely striking. It's clear that Jack is expected to kick down the middle and we have to handle the opposition coming at us full tilt. As such the 6-2 split on the bench makes sense.

And then it seems the Leinster game is being considered so JJ gets a rest while Reilly both deserves and needs the gametime.

So we have Porch and Hansen on the wings for Leinster. And we have potentially Reilly and JJ.

So what we are seeing for this weekend is both interesting and yet maybe not a terrible call. We know it's going to be attritional. And maybe if we manage to hold the strain thru the first half we might be able to get away with a LBP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

That's like it or not a strong team on the paper.

Dowling/Jansen + 6/2 made to match them up front

Kilgallen back is a boost

Hawkshaw isn't afraid of contact and we will pin them with 3 kicking option

SHL will get us turnovers.

We probably won't win but we'll fare

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Team for Leinster may well be

Dooley

Heff

Aungier

N.Murray

Thornbury

SHL

Prendergast

Oliver

Blade

JJ

Forde

Farrell

Hansen

Kilgallen

Porch

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kita99

35°c. maybe the surface of turf will be above it (40°c). URC should stop this game. Too dangerous. Or Connacht should abstain this match to protect player's lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I'm looking forward to Thornbury's return but would be shocked if he starts against Leinster at a moment when competition for second row depth is as intense as it is. Amazing that this is despite Josh Murphy being on sabbatical.

That pink Connacht jersey is just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RAKM

Its not pink. Its blush. We Leinster fans know these things.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Kick out on the full. Needless

Advertisement