Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE cost cutting plan predictions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

My definition of needing to cut costs immediately and RTEs are clearly very different.

I doubt if 10% of this will be implemented. If MoS are accurate and the govt hand over TV licence collection to Revenue then compliance with the charge will go to levels not seen previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cutting the +1 channels will save next to nothing in costs so it doesn't matter whether they do it now, in 2028 or not at all.

I don't see how they can hand it over to Revenue to collect unless it's an across the board charge like LPT. Revenue are not going to be sending customs officers around knocking on doors looking for TVs i.e. the ridiculous charade An Post indulge in.

In fairness if this "broadcasting charge" or whatever it's called is levied on every household, the amount should be reduced, there's no justification for giving a massive funding rise to RTE while allowing them to cut services and keep ads.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

RTE appear to have emailed out to people today encouraging them to fill in their survey.

Havent checked it yet…. so I’m not sure how leading the questions are or how much feedback they actually want. Let’s hope they have a section on the RTE player!

I did attempt to watch something on the player the other day on my smart tv. Got to a couple of minutes in and it kept going to a blank screen, then a blue screen with RTE One logo before looping back to a bit of the programme over and over and over again. I gave up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭Tow

The only way cutting the +1 channels will save money is if 2RN are charging RTE a fortune to carry them. But this is just the money being shuffled around between two Cost Centres in the Montrose mother ship. The government should force RTE to provide propper costing for the plan.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Love to know how they gathered these email addresses and was consent given to be emailed for this purpose...

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You are receiving this email because you are opted in to receive communications from RTÉ.

That's on the bottom of the email. And I did opt in for communications from RTÉ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

Likewise, I opted in, I get news story and programming emails.

• Yes, serious trimming back needed here. Newstalk & Today FM go with one presenter for their evening news shows. Why do RTE need two for theirs on Radio 1? Similar with TV, why all the newsreaders? Look at the way BBC NI do it. Their staff do the news on Radio Ulster (4 to 6) and the same people will also do the main news on BBC1 NI TV which starts at 6.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭waywill1966

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭political analyst

RTÉ will have to keep Saorsat to reach those viewers who have neither Saorview nor subscription TV.

Many people still watch RTÉ 2, i.e. soccer, rugby, GAA. Moving all sporting events to RTÉ 1 was never going to happen - imagine the outcry if Six-One didn't start on time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I always find it funny how everyone was on board and large still is on board with Dee Forbes and her Strategy 2024. Though notable that they haven't thought to move RTÉ Sport to RTÉ ONE in this plan.

This plan is not much more than previous plans TBH.

The cuts to staff are over the next 4 years, and it will largely be from retirement and as we are seeing RTÉ not renewing contracts (which both have issues).

The rest is all window dressing, they haven't suggested how much they will save over the course of the next 4 years.

What disappointing is that they believe that they did a good job on Drama and Comedy and on Children's content, when all where largely cut over the last number of years.

This is largely nothing, little change and little improvements. Viewers and consumers won't notice a thing really, and RTÉ will go but we kept it going and isn't that enough!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I think that the poster concerned intends that suggestion to be considered in the context of the other suggestions in his post tbh, but we might at this stage (since the plan is published anyway) call a a halt to what over in Commuting and Transport they’d call “crayons on a map” at the point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement