Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No poppy thread this year??

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

If anything, it is increasingly seen as all those things

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

No I didn't want to start one actually, I've said my piece enough times over the years. I was genuinely curious what was up this year, not just on Boards but in the wider media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Exactly.its nothing to do with the anglo irish troubles.

its about remembering the british, irish, US, french, belgian etc etc that died in the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A lot of people still use it as a symbol of oppression and colonialism …pretty clear throughout the media the last few days….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Where the money goes is a different matter than people wanting to wear it and pay their respects.

My opinion is, if people want to wear it, fine. If they dont want to, fine also.

We all show our respect in different ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Are you a shinner a with a deep sense of insecurity because of your garrison ancestry… that’s then only demographic that have an issue with the poppy?

Maybe you might like to give us some actual documentation instances which support that allegation?

The Legion which support the wounded survivors and families of casualties without any regard to their origin or residence… many of whom are Irish!

....why should being Irish be some let out clause from being tools of an Imperial power?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

There’s a huge link to British Forces with people in Ireland both past and present, more than what people in some quarters want to admit. It’s just a bit less visible in Ireland than in England or other parts of the UK. Visit any war grave in any graveyard in Ireland or any war memorial to Irishmen who were lost and you’ll see the poppies.

The RBL in Ireland sell a shamrock poppy that is specifically for remembrance of Irishmen and women fallen in the two world wars only and is designed for those who have objections to the rest of Britains military history. Personally I see no issue with it, just a gesture of remembrance for people who lived in harder times than ourselves and ended up machine gunned to bits in Flanders, thinking they were doing the right thing, through no fault of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

McClean was fairly unique in his approach to the issue. He tried to wind people up.

that said, I disagree with the fans for there vocal show of displeasure. He should receive no abuse for not wearing it, but it was the fans. I can only imagine the Celtic fans would get on the back of any of their players who chose to have a poppy on their shirt - equally wrong.

#edit. Fair play to Brendan Rodgers, a proud northern Irishman for wearing his poppy at Celtic park today. I don’t blame him for hiding it under his lapel. Are people seriously suggestion he was forced to wear it?

thankyou Brendan 👏

Post edited by downcow on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

But by starting one regardless of your motivation about the poppy you did start it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Late response here but so what if Irish people fought in the war. The Poppy is a British tradition with funds going to the British Legion.No need for Irish to wear poppies. Just the same as other participants in the war such USA, France, Belgium, Netherlands etc don't either.

People in those countries wear variarions of the poppy, if not the poppy itself.

I think Leo wore a green shamrock poppy.

But they are all commemorating the same thing. Thats the point.

The poppy isnt the important bit, its what it stands for that matters.

No they don't. I lived in The Netherlands and there's no variation of the poppy. The mark liberation day in May and do nothing for Nov 11.

Same in the USA. You don't see US TV presenters wearing any symbol on their shows to remember war dead as it's not done.

It's a British thing and it's copied by some commonwealth countries.

It stands for the British army and its empire and does not have its original meaning anymore.

It is worn in other commonwealth countries, as you say.

But variations are worn beyond that.

The french have their own version. The Bleuet.

The USA also have their own red poppy.

The Dutch have a memorial day in May.

They are all commemorations of those that died during the world wars.

Like i say, the poppy as a symbol isnt the important point. Its the commemoration that ties all the countries together in solidarity.

If some people choose to wear a poppy and others a bleuet, thats fine. And all should be respected for their commemoration. In my opinion.

As has been pointed out before, the money from the poppy goes to all BA veterans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

From my understanding, commemorations of Armistice Day are way more lowkey in France and the Low Countries (places that actually saw the brunt of fighting in both WW1 and WW2). They don't have the practise of wearing flowers on their lapel for nearly two weeks, nor the surrounding controversy around the same.

• Advertisement

No,you're changing the narrative as you said all the countries I mentioned were a poppy or a variation and I said they don't in The Netherlands but they have Liberation day in May and now you're saying that to me as proof that they do the same as Britain.

You are totally wrong.

The point is that "Remembrance Sunday" has changed in Britain and become a Nationalistic day instead of simple commemoration.

TV presents in France, USA and Netherlands do not were any poppies on TV whilst it appears to be compulsory on British TV. Even sport is now dominated by it with football teams embossing it on their jerseys and soldiers involved with ridiculous on field ceremonies.

Then if someone like James McClean, refuses to wear it for whatever reason, he gets abused and ridiculed. Contradictory to me as he's being denied freedom of choice which is mainly what the wars were fought about.

Anyhow, as I said it's not an Irish tradition. We have our own remembrance days and no need for Irish people to were the poppy and Leo for some unknown reason coming up with an irish flag one does not make it an Irish event.

My only point is that people have the right to commemorate the fallen during the world wars.

Thats all. Whether they wear a poppy, a bleuet or nothing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Whatever about "no need" some Irish people want to wear a poppy.

That's their choice and it should be respected.

There were a number of local commemorations all over the country on Saturday.

Quiet, reflective events carried out solemnly and all were welcome.

Yes, it's their choice and I don't really care what people wear but I just don't see why people want to wear a symbol of another country and especially in light of that nation's history here and more so what the poppy has come to represent in the last 15-20 years.

We have our own National Commemoration Day in July and that's what should be noted.

The commemorations you talk of taking place "all over the country" are really minuscule and attended by a tiny minority as Ireland commemorating remembrance Sunday really declined from the 1930s and it really is now just British thing.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You'd really have to talk to them to find out their reasons for wearing a poppy or taking part in a commemoration.

As you say their numbers are small but they are sincere.

National Commemoration Day is indeed an important day in the calendar and marked with pride by our Defence Forces.

I know people who have taken part in both commemorations.

what survivors?

Do you know what year it is?

It was the Irish taxpayer who had to pay for WW1 pensions because the Brits refused - I guess they did care about their nationality and origin

• Advertisement

Is that your stock response?

Predictable. Shame you don’t wear your bloodstained symbol in public you would get to use it a lot no doubt when you are not defending the British empire on the internet

I suppose if your only way to remember your “warrior ancestors” is to donate to the British army - murdered more people than the Nazis and fiercely anti-Irish bigots - rather than research these wars, then a poppy is probably more level of intellect.

(Don’t think you understand things like garrison town either)

Ooh... I think I hit a nerve there.

I notice you didn't respond to my answer to you about my actual republican ancestry 😎

Republican ancestry?

FFS, you are deluded

Are you descended from Hercules as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I don't see it that way.

Imagine your job. You're serving on a submarine, no private life, no personal space for 4 to 5 weeks, a simple bunk bed, not even a meter space above you, and no internet connection. And then there is the threat of being involved in a conflict.

And what precisely are you doing in this job? Keeping others safe and this includes lefties who protest against anything and everything.

This kind of work and service certainly deserves honor and respect.

Nothing right wing about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I do see it that way. This veteran worship crap is as toxic as it is unconvincing.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭tinytobe

That's just a difference of opinion.

You just have to be happy that in Ireland the RAF takes to the skies, to guard Irish airspace, if the Russians are getting a bit too close again.....

And you call your country "neutral".....

Militarily Ireland is sadly a joke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It isn't. You're actively whitewashing the history of abuses of the British army. Imagine someone involved in Bloody Sunday or the Mau-Mau Uprising. You can kill as many locals as you like knowing full well you'll never be held accountable.

The RAF guards Irish skies out of self-interest, not kindness. Military Britain can't defend itself in the 21st century so it's also a joke.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭scottser

My old man served in the British Army so I was a member of the Legion on John Rogersons Quay for years. It was full of old lads who had mad stories of conflicts all over the middle east, India etc. Cheap pints too, always nice to know the Queen was sorting you a discount.. 😄 They have scant few members now, and they're all dying off and not being replaced.

I wouldn't wear a poppy myself but I can respect someone who might.

Advertisement