Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Kiteview

That’s incorrect. Under international law, nations have the right to self defence against other nations that attack them AND also against illegal organisations that operate from a territory (or nation) to attack them.

In other words, to take a domestic example, had an Irish terrorist organisation launched a comparable attack on the UK, it would be absolutely within the UK’s self-defence rights to attack Ireland if - in the UK’s opinion - our government wasn’t actively trying to prevent such attacks or had effectively lost control of part of our territory to such an organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

139 of the 193 countries at the UN recognize Palestine as a country.

That number is only going to grow as Israel has alienated a large section of the planet with its genocidal mania over the last 4 weeks. They've burnt a hell of a lot of goodwill with this conflict and will ultimately pay a price for it on the diplomatic stage.

And I wouldn't be talking too much about the obligations of nations when Israel desecrated the memory of those who perished in the holocaust with their wearing of the Star of David at the UN in recent weeks. Not to mention the US, UK, Germany and others supporting them devoutly as they aimed to butcher Palestinians. Something they did again today despite a ceasefire being in existence. How difficult is that for the families of the people shot and killed by Israel, during a ceasefire, as they tried to return to their houses after Israel made them leave by bombing the entire area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Not sure why you are mentioning Ireland and the UK in your example, that's 2 nations. Israel occupies Gaza, so the self defense clause is out the window.

The same way Russia cannot claim self defense in areas it occupies in Ukraine.

I guess it's to prevent hostile countries invading and occupying territories while using internation law to protect them and cover their crimes.

Israel didn’t occupy Gaza for the best part of twenty years and that didn’t work out well for them or the Palestinians.

The alternative if you prefer is that Israel does occupy Gaza and therefore as an “occupying force” has a legal obligation to police the territory and therefore an obligation to suppress Hamas. And, of course, given the arms Hamas controls such suppression is inevitably going to be violent.

How many of those 139 countries that supposedly recognise Palestine actually recognise it is a nation? And how many are prepared to aid it militarily?

(I will leave aside your obvious antisemitic criticism of Israelis wearing the Star of David in a public protest particularly given the star is used by Israel every time it flies its flag)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Measured and articulate answering the questions. Delighted a number Israeli hostages have been freed. Hopefully many more and with any luck ceasefire extended to release even more. Also delighted to see some Palestinian hostages released.

Some background from CNN: Around 8,300 Palestinian prisoners are currently held in Israeli jails, said Qadura Fares, head of

the Palestinian Commission for Detainees and Ex-Prisoners' Affairs.

More than 3,000 of them are being held in what Israel calls "administrative detention," Fares told

CNN, adding that this means they are being held without knowing the charges against them, and without an ongoing legal process. “

a handful of these are as young as 14! And according to CNN offences for some detained was throwing stones.

I find that shocking. To caveat I’m sure some are being held for legitimate reasons but this administrative detention isn’t how I would expect a democratic country to behave. Everyone has the right to a fair trial.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

If there's any war crime charges brought against Israel and they use the self defense argument, they very may well loose it, if it's proven they initially occupied Gaza.

This won't be some UN resolution with countries abstaining or vetoing on political lines, it would actually be a court in the Hague applying international law etc...

The alternative I prefer is Israel be more clinical in their response. Not bombing a refugee camp to kill a dozen Hamas fighters when those fighters are not an imminent threat to Israel. It's not like those fighters were loading a rocket to be fired at Israel, one which Israel can't defend against and not destroying it would have a high probability of causing more Israeli civilians to be killed.

Or bombing ambulances which they believed contained Hamas fighters. No immediate threat, these weren't SCUD launchers being erected and fueled and being ready to fire within minutes. So maybe don't bomb them outside a hospital and wait until they are away from it. You know, actually try limit civilian deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭brickster69

Are you honestly saying that the Palestinian people have no right to self defense ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

You could also say Israel has no right to declare war on Hamas because it is not a state.

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ah yes, the 'antisemitism' card being played to ward off criticism of a rogue nation.

Sorry, that doesn't work any more. Israel revealed the intent of its current leadership this past week and unfortunately, there is undoubtedly Jewish people worldwide who are going to feel the effects of this. To me that is a true case of antisemitism, putting Jewish people at risk because of the action of carrying out genocidal acts on Palestinians.

I repeat my statement that those who wore it at a time when their fellow national representatives were talking about wiping Palestine off the map and were calling Palestinians human animals are a disgrace to their ancestors, particularly those who first said 'Never again'.

An interesting piece in the Nation that Harvard refused to publish due to certain concerns.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Not if they are Palestinian. 2000 or more Palestinians in the West Bank have been detained since October 7th afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

A large coalition of Arab states with a bigger and far better equipped army than fledging Israel who wanted to wipe out an Israeli state before it could take root?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,675 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Saw a bit of it on tv. Great to see the hostages released, but by the looks on some of their faces, it was quite an ordeal.

In the current conflict, Hamas, the leaders of the Palestinian people are the aggressors, and under international law, like the Russians in Ukraine, they have conceded their right to self-defence.

Explained to you many many times already.

What is your thoughts on an organisation that puts a command centre under a hospital and used the patients and staff of that hospital as human shields? It must be among the lowest of the low tactics, don't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would say it is a very welcome step. None of those hostages did anything on anyone and they should never have been kidnapped (a clear war crime obviously).

Can you define 'current conflict'? Because looking back in September, Israel launched drones strikes in Gaza, so could Israel be the aggressor and Oct 7th was in retaliation to that? Or can we go back to August when Hamas fired rockets into Israel, but then that was in retaliation to Israeli airstrikes in July on Gaza..... and so on and on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

There's a world of difference between ongoing skirmishes and low-level conflict and full fledged war.

What Hamas did on Oct 7th in the ground assault, and the volume of rockets fired, dwarfs anything done previously for decades. Ditto for the Israeli response. It was a de-facto declaration of war.

In the same way Hezbollah firing rockets at Israel sporadically doesn't mean it's open war between Israel and Lebanon, or Israel and Hezzbollah for that matter.

Similar in Ukraine. Ukraine and Russia weren't in an actual state of war until 2022 despite obvious Russian involvement in the Donbass since 2014 and responsibility for a considerable number of Ukrainian casulties.

It is quite clear that a "new" and very distinct stage of the conflict began on October 7th and trying to muddy the waters around that isn't very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Of course I agree. I have no time for Hamas although in fairness some of those tunnels were put there by the Israelis years ago if what I have read is correct.

Every country has the right to self-defence surely.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Hmm...maybe that time that Hamas raided Israel and tortured, murdered, raped, burnt and beheaded indiscriminately and then took a load of civilians hostage? You can find the source in the videos and images they put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭tandcapply

Bo one said anything about killing evey hamas person, I read this 1+1 equals apple a lot. Israel said it'll destroy Hamas' military capabilities and will ensure that they can't control Gaza.

Israel is smart enough and possibly better than Boards.ie and Dail members in understanding that you need to go after hamas leadership and armed terrorists.

Even if no one is over ground, they've enough ways in and out of Egypt underground and can even fight Israel using underground offensive tunnels so that's Israel's aim I guess.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭tandcapply

What you read, if from reputable source is that Al Shifa hospital and its bunkers were built by Israel, not the tunnels.

That's completely different.

Reason for bunkers is for the hospital to function during unrest, fighting & etc.

Israeli and possibly Egyptian hospitals have bunkers too, most industrial buildings there do.

Not sure who hoped/didn't expect in Israel that someday, the hospital will be used by terrorist and its occupants as human shields

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, the Israelis built tunnels (the original ones), but the Palestinians have multiplied them many times over since.

Exactly and Hamas extended them as a defence, store for weapons, sleeping quarters, food and safety, etc. It was exactly what should have been expected of them. Gaza has been bombed often before. Surely they were going to take some kind of defensive actions? It is foolish to think that they would not use them for the captives too?? I can't understand why people would not think this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

In my opinion. and I've posted here before, given the location of Gaza, the land area it encompasses, and the density of population, and being hemmed in completely by Israel, the only way for them to go was down. And they have been doing this uninterrupted since 2005. I've heard it is likened to the London underground, and I can well believe it too. Israel is in for a very hard time eliminating Hamaz from the tunnels. They will do it eventually of course, but I'd say that some of the tunnels will not be accessed, especially the deeper ones. They will just seal them up.

Advertisement