Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Elon Musk hurting Tesla? (Mod Note Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Edited!

Actually just move the entire thread to where it needs to go, there's no reasonable argument for keeping his political statements which he makes personally out of a conversation of his impact on the company. The 2 are fundamentally tied together.

The only reason one would want to separate or quieten the discussion of what he says and does is because you don't want to hear it and how it may harm the brand.

The most frustrating thread ever and ring fencing the content is completely at odds with the title above it. Should be locked or moved.

Here's another political statement he's made on and off twitter. Should this not be discussed. The rules are both unclear , weird and bizarre in equal measure.

All of it comes back to his impact on the company. Its share price it's public perception and the value of the goods in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

People are obviously free to vote with their hard earned. Would his outbursts stop me buying a Tesla if I was in the market, no.

In the same way MOL outbursts into French working laws won’t stop me flying Ryanair again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭allinthehead

There may be some truth in this, I listened to a podcast on Spotify (Flipping the bird or something like that) about his takeover of Twitter and it was mentioned that he sacked a coder who told him that maybe the algorithm shouldn't put him top of the pile as some may not be interested. Apparently he hired someone more obliging.

The guy seems to be a total ego maniac, throwing his toys out of the pram when he doesn't get his way.

☀️

In that context when your taking a ryanair flight you're going from A to B there's nothing retained.

In Tesla context your buying a vehicle and you hope to have at least some value in it to buy the next vehicle. The value of one has dropped drastically along with new sales since he started his crusade. The two may not be entirely aligned but its certainly connected in respect he's poisoning the well for the core buying base.

Not everyone , but alienating core customers in a now competitive market is madness

Did he not say he wanted the model 3 to be the next Corolla. A mass produced affordable car?

People buy cars new. They loose value. More so at the higher end.

The 2019 cars are still late 20’s which % ratio to the new cost of €41 is average I would have thought?

Compare to Porsche Taycans which have died a death in the uk now. Also, on DoneDeal, a top spec GT eTron can be bought for €80k, a 22 model that was €130k only a year ago.

I wouldn’t be too bothered with resale values as if I was buying a new car I’d expect the normal 50% value after 3 years. Those that don’t are foolish.

Wasn't the mission statement to bring Ev's to the masses? That would only be accomplished with price reductions, and that success was there for all to see this year when the Model Y became the best selling car in the world.

☀️

46 percent in under 2 years is probably not legitimate tbh. Don't be comparison with Supercar brands that's disingenuous tesla are as you often put it the every person saloon..

Anyway as I said he's poisoning the brand with core customers. It may surprise bit there are alot of people who buy on ethics and values. And he's harming sales. You don't exclude customers in a competitive market.

He's had many mission statements on various businesses and subjects. They're not real they're corporate missions statements. Solar roofs for the masses etc...

the price depreciation is relative and proves it’s no different to any other brand.

VW ID4 GTX, €70k in 221. Sold for €45k by Windsor in Finglas last month. That’s a more down to earth comparison I suppose to suit the agenda.

My view from the outside is that people’s hatred for Musk is just that, hatred. And you are entitled to that opinion. Nothing wrong there.

But the stats don’t lie, his antics as we currently speak are not effecting Tesla sales in Ireland.

• Advertisement

So what? He said he wanted to make a mass market Ev and he did. Your assertion that he's harming the brand doesn't tally with the success of the company. I'm sure some people care that he's tool but most don't because they have enough maturity to seperate the brand from the Ceo.

☀️

Grand thats settled he's not harming the brand.

All wrapped up so lads. I'm off to buy some shares.

I wouldn't if I were you, the Chinese are coming.😁

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

I was planning on buying a Tesla as my next car but I have turned 180 since he took over Twitter. I had some reservations about the time that he went mental when the kids were trapped in that cave but he's now totally toxic. Some may still wave a flag for him but I'll be spending my hard earned in another brand. It might not shift the needle much but I don't care.

That's when I realised he was narcissistic tool.

As a matter of interest what are you considering now? Hopefully you're consistent in your moral outrage.

☀️

Crack one open and check for tomorrow nights lotto numbers 😁

I've a Seal order in. As previously was probably going for a Y that was the plan in 2022 when our volvo was coming up for change. But the fellas ruined it for me. Again that's my reasoning doesn't have to be anyone else's. I won't buy whilst he's still involved. Would love to see twitter wrestled off him at this point by his backers.

• Advertisement

Oh yes, wouldn't need to slum it in a Model 3 then.

☀️

How will you sleep at night supporting the Chinese?

☀️

I could afford to run the V8 M3 as a daily then 🏎️🏎️

I can't fight every single battle, I mean 'do the chinese' own byd. And who's 'the chinese' which of byds owners harming the uyghurs?

Not particularly consistent at all. More vindictive if I'm being totally honest. I've taken an intense dislike to Musk. I am waiting now to see what might be available in the next couple of years. My trusty old Honda will keep me going until then.

If you were planning to buy a Tesla, why didn’t you jump ship to something else, BYD or similar?

• Advertisement

At least you're honest about it. I'd say there will be some great options coming in the next few years.

☀️

I would probably have already jumped as I was checking the Tesla website on a very regular basis but I've now gone totally against them so the decision is being reassessed. Now that I've got solar installed, EV makes sense from any viewpoint but I'm still unsure about options. As I said, I was always thinking that I'd go with a Tesla, but now I'm looking for any viable alternative. Tesla seem to have many advantages at the moment so I'm just hoping that someone else springs from the pack.

For me it was simply the superchargers, we need to make multiple Cork to Crumlin trips a year with our son and the lack of fuss involved made it an easy decision. The politics of the company Ceo didn’t get a moments thought.

☀️

Tenuous tbh.

The man is fairly clear and present danger in my eyes for both the company and various countries hence I won't buy till he goes. They're on my no buy list. And i personally think that's ok, like you said to another poster at least you're honest. But I'm still being question on why the brand is off limits for me...

If the BYD owner was out there unblocking my block lists on them and popping up in my feeds un requested talking all sorts of nonsense I'd hold the same opinion.. this lads a dangerous piece of work. They'd be on my no buy list. I've no evidence of that.

• Advertisement

Honestly you see no issue buying Chinese products? Fair enough.

Of course it's okay for you to have the opinions you hold, but you will be challanged when they don't seem consistent. Your use of Musks own Twitter for example, I mean he doesn't even own Tesla. Your use of his product is support no matter what mental gymnastics you perform.

☀️

Your entire house is probably Chinese but your blaming the chinese for what specifically? Being Chinese. I mean I don't know what this whataboutery is about.

I have given fairly specific reasons why I think 1 man is ruining the brand and why I won't buy. Your giving out about an entire nation.

You could have said. At least your honest......

But sure leave that for other posters right?..

Ah come on now, I think it was fairly obvious I was talking about their government.

I'm going to leave it at that because you're not honest in your discussions and trying to label me as a China hater is ridiculous.

☀️

I'm not honest? I'm saying musk is bad for the brand, I've given specific reasons as to why..I've said I won't buy one because of the reasons I've said. I even said what vehicle I'm buying.

Your response. ... 'but the chinese'. Cmon lad be honest yourself.

I'm about the only honest person going on in this conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Musk is Tesla, richest man in the world, complete narcissist, who is on the spectrum and as such has no filters

complete loose canon but without hm Tesla, and EVs wouldn’t only be for hobbyists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Lol

Elon Musk is a clear and present danger to the whole world.

I bet you were the same folk who shat themselves thinking Trump would be launching nukes as soon as he got into the Whitehouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Just buy a Hyundai/KIA, problem solved no need to worry about the politics!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Anyone that hates Musk to the degree that it would affect a choice to buy/not buy a Tesla has next to zero credibility if they continue to use Twitter.

Assuming your credibility score is pretty low unfortunately @listermint? But we stand to be corrected! Maybe you no longer interact with/use Twitter/X and are consistent in your principles.

You might want to rethink that. Hyundai child labour and bribing of politicians comes to mind.

☀️

• Advertisement

Amazing people have different principles. Its almost shocking when you think about that were not some large amorphous blob hive mind.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think anybody is questioning why you don't want to engage with the Tesla brand, your views on Tesla's actions and Elon Musk are quite clear, and have been for a while. What I, and I believe others find difficult to understand is why you spend so much time focused on the brand that you've chosen to boycott.

You shouldn't need to feel like your missing out on a product, so you shouldn't feel bitter that current Tesla owners are generally a happy bunch.

There are for sure some issues with a owning a Tesla, but instead of these being discussed we end up with non Tesla owners projecting issues which are far less relevant and drowning them out

99% of problems with Tesla are posted by people that don’t own or have never owned a Tesla. Madness.

Some posters just can’t comprehend that others are happy with their choice. Some will choose BYD, happy worth their pros and cons, some will choose VW.

Some people have to stop worrying about what others do and be happy with their own choices.

The thread title is “Is Elon Musk hurting Tesla?”

And every poster will have their own personal opinion, but the facts and stats for Ireland would appear to show that the answer is no, he’s having no impact based on sales figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I was never the target market anyway as I hate the Tesla styling and a few trips in them in taxis in Amsterdam confirmed the shoddy interior quality. But Musk being a complete ballbag really is the icing on the cake. Horrible man. Flawed brand.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mod Note: Snip, keep comments on this thread limited to the impact on Tesla, or at least relate them to direct consequences on the Tesla brand, there's a CA thread if you want to discuss his larger influence https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058241791/so-x-nothing-to-see-here-elons-in-control-part-xxx/p288

But the thread isn't called are you happy with your car, the topic of discussion is Mr musk harming the brand. It holds up that he is. Evidently the growth would be more for various reasons but mostly centered around him personally.

There are probably really questionable behaviours like why he was allowed do cybertruck an utterly mad proposition swallowing funds from the business which could have been used to keep stalks on the steering wheel.

As I've stated multiple times with multiple examples he is now a harm to Tesla as is the premise of the conversation. I don't think anyone including myself would dispute that without them or perhaps him ev growth would not have ramped up as quickly.

It's a forum, it's a discussion people like myself are entitled to discuss the proposition without it being ring fenced to owners. There are also numerous studies indicating people who purchase large value products are less likely to give negative views on their purchase. Human nature . But I'm open to all ears and haven't tried to push opinions out of the topic.

Have I.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's when you proposed an alternative view on the ownership experince that I think you were going a bit too far. I don't believe any person can speak to the ownership experience of something they haven't owned.

With regard to is Musk harming the brand, I think there's enough evidence to show that their's a small minority of people who have stayed away from the brand because of his antics, but the as the sales numbers show, there's plenty more people who just don't factor the public persona of major shareholders and employees into their vehicle purchasing decisions, there's probably even a few who agree with him and will buy a Tesla to support him.

I'm not a shareholder of the company so I don't particularly care if they sell 1,000,000 or 1,100,000 cars in a given period.

I don't recall proposing an alternative view of ownership. The only thing I mentioned was the dramatic fall in price and 46 percent in many cases of value in under 2 years.

Not really a commentary on personal ownership tbf.

• Advertisement

Maybe it wasn't how you intended it, but that's what it looked like to me

Advertisement