Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why can't you admit you made a false statement about me. You accused me of defending Man City which I never did.

Actually don't bother, I'm putting you on ignore.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Ah here, this is the response from someone who made a few incorrect statements , hasn't backed then up and are now getting pissy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Like any self respecting Arsenal fan I absolutely detest Manchester United so can you please tell me how they cheated in a couple of lines.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

City signed loads of players like u mention above post take over, Owen Hargreaves from your own club is an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Don't forget the "Operation Puerto" scandel in Spanish sport involving Doctor Fuentes. Barcelona and Real Madrid were named in that.

The Bayern Munich medical team also resigned during the time he was at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,284 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

am i right in thinking a whole pile of those records were destroyed (by the authorities) as they didn't pertain to olympic sports? think nadal may have been implicated also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He is a very unlucky manager alright, a victim of circumstance that seem to follow him from club to club - hopefully his legacy isn't tarnished of course, you'd hate for that happen.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭BenK

Will you give over. Unlike United, City didn't sign anyone because of any financial constraints they were under. The situations are not even remotely the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

And the transfer took place over 12 years ago too. Might aswell name Kiki Musampa while he's at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Exactly. And with Hargreaves it was a really lame attempt at getting one over on United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

When I log onto the PL Thread for 2023-24 and the last two players mentioned are Kiki Musampa and Owen Hargreaves, I wish that international weeks were limited to the summer holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not quite - they were ordered destroyed by a judge (which led to the high-profile outraged headlines you recall) but this was appealed successfully (much less publicity) and they were eventually handed over to WADA after 3 years. A further subsequent 3 years later WADA said there were 11 positives (no sports specified) but that no further information will get released as statute of limitations has passed.

Post edited by ArmaniJeanss on

classic. but so outrageous.

i hate all the cloak and dagger shite prob to protect these massive stars/clubs. kick the can down the road till its time barred.

at least the PL dont have a statute of limitations. lets see if they have the balls though

Kiki's son Kriss is popular this time of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Conspiring to hide a failed drug test from Nani and signing Bebe in the process maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This response is so ridiculous that I can't even be mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Lauras Law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He didn't. He missed the 2010 world cup through injury, and there was a conspiracy theory (with nothing to back it up) that he'd really failed a drug test and that was a cover up.

You have free reign to talk crap about city when making a point. You make a statement like:

”Can you imagine City signing these bargain basement players under any circumstances?”

And I pull you up on it, simple really. And there are lots of bargain basement signings by city since the takeover I just gave one example. Stop saying stuff like “under any circumstances” to try make your point. In fact you could have made your point without any reference to Man City but here we are…

• Advertisement

Not really. One was pre takeover and one was post takeover which is what we have been discussing for the past ten days.

Any mention of the legend that is kiki musampa is good with me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Context of the signing is kinda important though... other clubs have had to make some bargain basement signings to fulfill a clear important need in their squad or even first team. Your example was a fella with league winning, champions league winning, international pedigree who came in briefly as the most filler of squad filler requirements, with lads like Yaya Toure, Gareth Barry, James Milner, Nigel de Jong, Samir Nasri, and David Silva all ahead of him. If anything, it just shows the strength that they could toss out a deal to someone as backup to the backup with absolutely nothing riding on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The Bebe deal stunk for sure but I think it was more a way to keep Jorge Mendes sweet rather than anything more. We had done a lot of business with him and would have been looking to do even more.

Unfortunately his list of clients is hugely impressive

Would love for this to be cut out. It's sickening how powerful some agents are in the game.

It's fairly baseless to add the Nani thing in and actually harms the overall question. There is questions to be asked about Bebe deal but when you turn it into conspiracy nonsense that gets lost

But come on, Jonny evans fits that exact description. He has all those medals and came in as filler as 5th choice centre back, literally swap evans for Hargreaves in all of the above and then some city players for united and its all valid based on what you have said.

Every team inc city have had to make signings like that including chelsea, arsenal and liverpool. But when united do its oh look at us look how poor we are and big bad city dont ever have to do it. Evans came in with over 200m in centre backs ahead of him as 5th choice filler. What a fantastic postion to be in to toss out a deal to someone as backup to the backup….

Hang on am I in the general pl thread or the united one because sometimes its hard to tell the difference?

For Sabitzer see Patrick Vieira or David Pizzaro. Granted not recent examples mainly due to us not making a complete balls of the last few years like United. But every club has had instances of having to do that at some stage including city since the takeover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the arguments and comparisons around Hargreaves and Evans are pretty pointless.

City made that signing as backup after their doping had already enabled them to have a feast of stars. The point is the feast of stars that were there before City became any sort of reputable financial juggernaut, helped by obvious massaging of sponsorship deals, creative accounting and the like.

The point is not Hargreaves - anyone can make a veteran signing.

• Advertisement

In the last 7 seasons (back to 17/18, this is the number of loans, and free transfers made by each club. I've not included loans such as Raya, Amrabat & Kuluveski as they are obliged to buy the player permanently.

It's not solely a case of Man Utd having bad transfers over the last few years and having to resort to loans/frees, but a big factor is also the fact that Man City having no worries about budgets or transfer spend so don't need to dip into that market at all. It's not just Man Utd that have had to dip into that market. Spurs have too, Arsenal have. Chelsea's figure is a bit skewed with their recent splurges but you get the idea. Liverpool's figure is lower than I thought but their number would double if the time range was extended by 2 seasons with players like Matip & Milner coming in. And so on with other clubs.

For what it's worth, both of Man City's free/loan transfers were reserve goalkeepers or 3rd choice GKs to get around the HG rule. It was never first team players.

10	Chelsea
    10	Man Utd
    10	Spurs
    6	Arsenal
    5	Liverpool
    2	Man City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The overall point though is City wouldn't ever find themselves in a situation where they couldn't spend on a striker (and having none in the squad) due to FFP. And end up signing a championship striker to fill a gap.

Because City do not play by the rules when it comes to FFP. Their inflated finances make sure they cannot fall into that situation.

You can say this doesn't happen to them because of excellent squad planning but you can't be surprised when other people will point out the elephant in the room that has given them the ability to buy that squad.

I agree 100% that Utds poor squad planning was what lead them to their issues. That all falls back on the owners and who they have employed at board level.

Utd are paying the price for that now - and it shows that even a club the size of Utd with their worldwide appeal will struggle to just spend endlessly.

But City can somehow find the funds to do it without much issue despite being levels below Utd in terms of world-wide appeal.

When was the last time City signed a filler player like Hargreaves? That was what, 2011 or thereabouts, only 3 years after the lottery win so they hadn't fully embedded the structures they have now.

Do you think that City today would be signing the likes of Weghorst or Arthur Melo? They would in their holes.

kalvin phillips of course for a cool 50m. 29 games in 1.25 seasons. minutes wise its prob closer to 10 games.

and HTF does southgate still pick him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭BenK

Your general point still stands obviously but I think Amrabat is option to buy not obligation to buy.

• Advertisement

2 points and then im done on this topic.

1. why go to 17/18? All debates here recently have been since the takeover. Alas, the initial point said under no circumstances and i pointed out circumstances. The original point could have been made with no reference to City but its open season around here. It’s exhausting.
    2. City didnt sign those keepers for HG reason, our squad is small and full of HG players that it hasnt been an issue for us in recent memory. There was no need to get around any rule.

Thats me done on this topic.

You must have said you're done on this topic around 115 times at this stage! 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod: Its Friday, games are back tomorrow so all posters are now done on this topic in this thread.

A new thread is available to discuss financial rules of the league:

LINK

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Fixtures:

Saturday, November 25, 2023

MNC v  LIV 12:30 PM

BUR v  WHU 3:00 PM

LTN v  CRY 3:00 PM

NEW v  CHE 3:00 PM

NFO v  BHA 3:00 PM

SHU v  BOU 3:00 PM

BRE v  ARS 5:30 PM

Sunday, November 26, 2023

TOT v  AVL 2:00 PM

EVE v  MAN 4:30 PM

Monday, November 27, 2023

FUL v  WOL 8:00 PM

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/fixtures/_/league/eng.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

For the 5th game in 6, Manchester United face a team in the bottom half, and they have won them all, and they have won them all by 1 goal. They have yet to draw a game in any competition this season. This one cold come down to how hurt Everton are feeling and if they can use that on the day.

Man Utd are like the walking wounded at this stage with Casemiro, Shaw, Malacia, Martinez, Diallo, Eriksen, Evans and waiting on Onana and Hojlund.

Everton's own Onana is also potentially back for this game, along with Gomes. Coleman, clearly is still way off coming back. 0-1 or a shock 1-1 first draw for Man Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Rumours now that Ten Hag and Varane are not on speaking terms and Varane will be sold in January. If true Ten Hag seems to have a habit of falling out with quite a few players and he is not even there a season and a half

I would be more concerned if he wasn't falling out with players. Let's be honest, that squad is full of weak characters and freeloaders, it should not be surprising at all that some are unhappy at finally being called out on their bullshit.

Fight away Eric, I am not interested in another Ole pandering to these wasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Considering so many people aren't talking to each other there's a whole load of rumours coming out about Utd. Seems some people aren't happy that ETH is still picking up results

Varane is a permacrock, lovely player in his day but he cannot be relied on. He's on massive wages too, if a semi decent offer from the Middle East comes in January then I'd be happy to see him leave, likewise Casemiro who looks banjaxed, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Would Varane be considered a "weak character"? Fair enough he is injury prone,but is there need to fall out with him?

And there is only so many players you can fall out with at the same time before they all turn against you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

4th choice CB placed against Varane is wrong, i think. he is second choice to Maguire for RCB with neither really considered for LCB.

as for the talk on Casemiro - the simply explanation, imo, is that he has been absolutely rubbish this season, and was subbed/dropped as a result of poor performance - and now both he and United are looking for a way out.

I do feel ETH's approach, in general, is causing problems though. it seems a lack of communication is a problem, along with training/coaching. I don't know how much of those issues could be attributed to the mess United is in general, or what is specifically on ETH's shoulders alone.

This is from my bigger post on the current top 6/7 in the Liverpool thread earlier in the break but this is the breakdown of Man Utd's league games so far.

As you mentioned, the wins have come against the teams occupying the bottom positions in the table, and then the games against the better sides have all been losses.

The next run of games will be tricky/tough, with some tough European games in the middle too. ETH needs to prioritise his competitions and rotate accordingly IMO, especially with bodies a bit lighter.

I think that they play Villa, Liverpool, Newcastle, West Ham & Spurs soon so they will need to start picking up wins there, let alone points. They've none against the top half so far this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd say it's a bad time to be playing Everton 9ver the next week or two. They've been on a decent run of form and now they'll be really galvanised around the PL punishment. Goodison will be a hostile place this weekend.

I know that when he was brought on in a recent game that his attitude stunk to high heaven. I don't care if he likes the manager or not, do your **** job when you are on the field.

The squad is full of players with that attitude, they only perform when everything is exactly to their liking, it has been killing the squad for years and as a fan I am sick of it. Most of them are that type of player, so when I hear that Ten Hag has fallen out with most of them my first reaction is "Good. **** them".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

Varane was top drawer in his day but the body just isn’t reliable anymore. And if his attitude isn’t what it should be, then Ten Hag should get rid of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭doc_17

That little foul from Silva on MacCallister is one of the Mose dangerous in the game. Harry Kane is always at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That is an awful goal to concede

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's actually a great take and finish from Haaland but poor play from TAA and Szoboszlai. If it's a similar situation for City then one of the City lads makes the foul on Ake before the pass is made.

Sky will be devastated that there was no contentious red card or penalty decision to fill their HT 'analysis' with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Zero atmosphere here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement