Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...and again.....

...and in the interest of fairness, the implementation of such can take a long time, so what governments were in place since Chernobyl, and what part have the greens played in forming those governments from this time?

...yes attitudes are indeed changing in regards nuclear, the older im becoming, the more open i am about this, and believe it truly needs to be considered, but we really do need to be honest about this....

...for example, how many citizens would in fact truly encourage the implementation of nuclear, allowing its operations to be in close proximity to their dwelling?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Gonna pull ya up on that now. Anytime wind meets 100% of demand, usually in the middle of the night on a very windy night, we've a regular poster on here gloating about it and telling us how this is the future. Very unfair then to criticise someone for doing the same showing the deficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

That’s not me and the only way to provide analysis of any generation is over a long period. It’s ridiculous to pick one month

Winf like any source is over the lifetime, so if an investment of 20m generates more power in wind and cleaner than an investment in some other source then it makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I've been analysing wind on a minute by minute resolution (thanks UCD and Eirgrid) for the last 15 years. These are regular events. Take a look at May to July this year for example.

No it wasn't you of course, and you are right that generation graphs over a period are much more useful.

The thing is, when the other poster champions wind is great when it hits 100%, it's the same playbook. Show a snippet and rejoice.

This picture would be comparable, albeit for the opposite reason. Throughout the night, when demand is low wind power was non existent. This sort of thing needs to be shown to counteract the big positivity spin for the rare occasions on 100% demand met from wind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If you have then you should be able to answer the question rather than your continuous attempt at avoiding to do so.

Where in that report does it mention any carbon neutral generation from anything other than wind and solar ?

I think you may have replied to my post by mistake and your post was meant for someone else.

You do not have to be in government to attempt killing conversations on a topic. Greens have been doing it for decades, but even amongst their ownmembers or their voters the attitude has changed in recent years with the recognotion that we need to get to carbon neutral generation that is not intermittent and undependable.

How many citizens fully encourage the erection of large towers for wind turbines in close proximity to their dewllings ? We have even seen examples here of green being nimbies on that. It is not a problem for nuclear power plants in France or Sweden any more that it is for wind turbines here.

Another shot across the bow for Irish farmers for the remaining nitrates derogation, this time from EU Commissioner Mairead McGuinness

Commissioner McGuinness stressed that Ireland’s nitrates derogation “can only be maintained if the issue of water quality is actively addressed”.

To be fair, while they may make a fair effort towards improving water quality, I can't see any chance it will result in the derogation being maintained. At the very least, because it gives Irish farmers an unfair advantage over other farmers in the EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

....oh ffs! yes the greens are strongly anti nuclear, we know this, but yes, being in government, and implementing polices, such as those mentioned, to simply completely block the possibility of, plays a major part of such outcomes.....

...holy fcuk!

...sooooo....

...grow the fcuk up, we actually have a widescale political and societal problem preventing nuclear, fact!

...positive attitudes towards nuclear is only based in the fringes, such as ourselves, and this is where its probably gonna stay, again, mention it to folks that we re gonna build a reactor, and materials will be rolling past your house, and you can be guaranteed, the overall reaction would be, by fcuk you are, jog on!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

That’s what 30% capacity factor looks like

a load of shite

The last part of your comment is interesting. You either don't think the work being implemented will be enough, or you think no matter what is done, then the derogation will be gone either way. We all know the water quality is the measure, albeit loaded against the derogation.

And the derogation loss, as I said previously, won't impact water quality. I've shown examples of where there's a cluster of derogation farmers and the water quality improved. I've shown where there is no derogation farmers and water quality didn't improve. Is that something you know already or is it news to you? How the 7 farmers in Leitrim who are impacted and the expected destocking of ~78 cows there will improve water is a mystery. Same for Wicklow, where the area impacted have no derogation farmers will see water improve is also a mystery. Number of cows doesn't impact water quality the way it's presented.

BTW, Ireland dairy already has an advantage by virtue of grass based. It's one of the reasons output prices here are below the majority in the EU (see this comparing the top processors - https://cdn2.assets-servd.host/zuivel-nl/production/images/Melkprijsonderzoek/ZuivelNL-EDF-ZuivelNL-Milk-price-comparison-September-2023.pdf). If we want to farm here and not take advantage of that to match our EU colleagues then expect to see big industrial dairy units, with thousands of cows each, with massive importation of proteins, and the waste still has to go somewhere.

Just to clarify, its not me that sees it as an unfair advantage, its the EU, which is why, regardless of water quality, it could be removed. From the EU perspective, why should Irish farmers have this advantage? Especially if its making a mess of our waterways and promised actions have lead to token improvements only

It's not the EU, it's some of the members. Some EU members see our tax regime as unfair too but I don't see you calling for that to be changed. And there's no advantage if the output prices are below most of the EU members. And it's not making a mess of our waterways. There are other more impactful things affecting waterways like soil types, nutrient management, weather, crop type (I feel like I've addressed this already with you). Promised actions are what the government/EU have mandated to be undertaken, which they are being done.

Ya have a hard on for culling cows even though it won't make the difference you suspect. You then comment on things with an air of superiority when you've shown time and time again you know absolutely nothing about. It's pretty tiresome

You have been analysing minute by minute but take one month an a guide. That's even worse. So you know what you posted was incorrect so?

Any power source should be reviewed over long term, thats the basics. It like taking a review of solar in the month of december and saying it doesn't work.

Answer what question? I shared the report with you. What question do you wnat me to answer? I am not writing the government strategy

You claimed ireland plan was based on wind, solar and hydro, which was nonsense. Are you happy to say that is nonsense?

I really do not see the point in your ranting and raving. A survey that showed 43% in favor overall with 60% of those 18 - 24 being in favor is not positive attitude towards nuclear being based on the fringes and even greens are now recognising that it will need to be part of the solution if we are going to have anything other than a a supply that is intermittent and unreliable.

Personally I believe that much of that has come from people now understanding how intermittent and unreliable wind and solar are as well as here the Irish Green Party being so opposed yet hypocritically happy to import nuclear power as long as somebody else is doing the lifting. Germany going back to digging up and importing coal as well as back exploring while shutting down the last of their nuclear plants that were providing 14% of their electricity CO2 free only added to that.

Tell anyone you are going to stick a windfarm next door to them and see what the reaction would be as to fcuk you and jog on.

My question which you continously keep either refusing to answer or keep attempting to dance around is what power generation sources are in that plan other than wind and solar ?

Hydro you can forget about as it is tapped out and pumping water uphill is a net minus energy game.

You again are not reading the document which was released by the government. This has been pointed out to you numerous times yet you ignore and go after other posters who might not be aware of the document. yet you are aware of it.

Can you explain why you are doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Explain what, why you keep refusing to answer the question of what electricity generation sources are being proposed in that document other that wind and solar ?

It`s your assertion that there are, so why will you not answer rather than resort to waffle every time you are asked ?

either you didn’t read the document or you couldn’t understand it

I will leave the rest of the poster to decide which it is, but as you are clearly ignoring information already provided to you then what does it make you?

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

There goes the spend 200bn+ every 25 years on 37GW offshore wind in Ireland business model

Notice no hydrogen pipe to a fellow EU member here in west, them Arabs be laughing at us for long time

That's the basics? Eh, that's not how electricity works. It is the consumed almost instantaneously after it is created. Looking at wind or solar over months doesn't keep the frequency at 50Hz, second by second, minute by minute. Tell the boys and girls on the desks in the NCC that the gap they faced this morning is fine, wind will be along at some point.

Your point has to be the worst I've read on here. The fact you are doubling down is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

I have yet to see anyone in government or the Department saying the grid will be only wind and solar. Yet that is repeated ad nauseam on this thread.

Seems like you still haven’t read the report. Still posting poorly researched nonsense

Answer what question? I shared the report with you. What question do you wnat me to answer? I am not writing the government strategy. You claimed ireland plan was based on wind, solar and hydro, which was nonsense. Are you happy to say that is nonsense?

You again are not reading the document which was released by the government. This has been pointed out to you numerous times yet you ignore and go after other posters who might not be aware of the document. yet you are aware of it.

either you didn’t read the document or you couldn’t understand it. I will leave the rest of the poster to decide which it is, but as you are clearly ignoring information already provided to you then what does it make you?

Are you being deliberately obtuse? This has been explained to you multiple times. The document you posted was the government plan to 2030. That includes natural gas as a transitional fuel. The plan for 2050 is a fully decarbonised grid using wind and solar as the only energy sources (apart from our 2.5% hydro). Note: batteries are not an energy source; hydrogen is not an energy source.

Please stop waving around a completely irrelevant document and then complaining that posters haven't read it. It's clearly YOU that have not read the relevant documents. This is getting extremely tiresome. You don't seem to understand the issues at all. Same with your contention that "any power source should be reviewed over long term, thats the basics". No, the basics are that electricity is consumed on demand, when it's needed. That is the whole point of the proposal for hydrogen (along with wind and solar as the energy sources).

The argument being made by several posters here is that:

• Wind and solar are expensive when you include all the ancillaries such as grid connections, storage, etc. etc.
    • You need 3-5x nameplate capacity to get us through the dunkelflaute.
    • You need PEM electrolysis which has never been deployed at scale and either fuel cells (ditto) or hydrogen combustion (low efficiency).
    • The potential costs are high enough to break the economy and will do zero to affect climate change.

This is a massive experiment being conducted with some of our most vital services. Could you at least acknowledge that you understand the issues, because you're currently showing no signs of it.

Post edited by ps200306 on

Which political party in ireland back nuclear? still waiting. Till you answer its all noise as I said weeks ago

If you want to class a government document as irrelevant that is your choice. Dont try to insult other when they propose it. Do you have an equivalent to deny the finding?

I think you have me confused with someone else. I'm not a proponent of nuclear.

But nice deflection, you're called out for your complete lack of understanding about the basics of electricity and how wind is not a dependable electricity source and that looking at it over months is a dumb idea. Your response is to ask about nuclear support in politics? There's clearly no point in arguing with you.

• Advertisement

Clearly when you publish one months result as "proof"

Advertisement