Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Dont think I've ever seen so many city players in a Kierans v CBS match.

And definitely have never seen more Village players involved in that fixture, great to see.

If and when Shamrocks fall back, it could be a long period of city dominance.

BTW: St Fintans Sutton competed in the A grade too. A school that if you'd asked me a year ago, did they even play gaelic games, I'd have said no. Again great to see. And confirms gaelic games (especially in urban areas) is now very much a middle class sport, and is eating in to rugby areas and schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Just on the players coming through for Limerick people seem to think these players are as good as the original 15 to 17 players but these will be found to be not as good when they will take over , just like our own players who we thought were going to take over were good but they were not as good as what they were replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

You're probably correct but they might be too plus because of the age profile of the main players one or two coming through could be the difference between winning and losing.

I'm saying I'd take one more(All Ireland)every year cos no different to kilkenny it will come to an end those kilkenny players and these limerick players aren't the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

By all accounts the Kilkenny county board are putting big pressure on clubs to keep the underage structure as it is. They do not want the the idea of going back to even numbers to gather any momentum, interesting night in store on the 4th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jonniegoogle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Let's not pretend that going back to U18 is this amazing thing with no downside. It will have a positive impact for the vast majority of that age group who aren't ready for adult hurling but the elite lads at that age will need to be protected. All of a sudden they're going to be eligible for their club minor, their main adult club team and every Junior team in the club. Marry that with schools hurling at the start and end of a calender year, club U21 and then the really good ones potentially with county U20. And then those born in the first quarter of the year potentially in their LC year as well.

Granted its only one additional team than the current arrangement if they're still eligible for minor but how many gobshites are in charge of club minor teams who'll expect that lad to train with the team etc

With regards the county board they probably just want to mirror the intercounty set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Laziness. They have the template from this year to use for fixtures for underage games and we need to amend that if the change goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I think the Bord Na nOg side of things are definitely dead set against it and as I said their representative, who was only meant to be giving facts and details of the current format, was making it very clear of his opposition to the change. I think the ship has already set sail on going back to even age grades, I'd be shocked if it doesn't go through on the 4th.

Incidentally, at that meeting Phil Hogan is to give a report on his efforts to gain funding and a further update is to be given on the plans for flood lighting Nowlan Park, etc..

• Advertisement

Their main reason for not wanting the even age groups is that they say it will lead to less games for minors especially and as minors will be eligible to play adult competitions they say they will have to finish the minor championship by the start of September. To be honest their reasoning didn't really make sense and when solutions to their problems were put to them they didn't really have an answer. Of course they also put up the other problems such as player burnout for minors playing underage, schools and adult hurling and with the grades being out of sync with the intercounty set up.

Kilkenny county board do not want to go against Croke Park who are pushing u17, with Ned Quinn in a high position up there it also makes things complicated for him, Croke Park have always looked after Kilkenny be it funding, downplaying football etc., they do not want to upset the hand that feeds them. There will be a big push behind closed doors to get this defeated and get the attention away, maybe the role of Phil Hogan on the night will be a distraction and get this out of the limelight if it fails. Clubs will want to have there ducks in order to make sure this gets over the line.

Post edited by Village87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

All the best to all the teams from the County to day.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Huw Lawlor is something else lads.

The Kilcormac Full forwards tried on him today never felt the weight of the ball.

O’Loughlins defence is awesome, as good a club side defence I’ve witnessed.

Their forwards hit a lot of terrible wides though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Three out of three for Kilkenny club teams today. O'Loughlins, Thomastown and Tullogher all won their semi finals. Great stuff.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Grueller

Wexford man here, I was actually at the Tullogher game today. It was a real battle with only 1 point in it with 5 left on the clock but from there Colman O'Sullivan and Conor Hennessy took the game by the scruff of the neck and drove Tullogher over the line after they had been 6 up with 15 minutes left. Craanford hurled with a sweeper and Tullogher found it tough to break that down with all bar 3 of their first half total from dead balls, but a fussy ref did contribute to that. In that first half Glennon (can't remember his first name) caused all the problems for Craanford but the change of corner backs put some manners on him. Ultimately Tullogher were the better team and just about shaded it. A Tullogher man told me they were missing Marty Murphy who would seemingly be a huge loss, but Craanford were without Aodhan Whitty who was by far their best player all year and they looked toothless up front without him, despite the best efforts of Craanfords Kilkenny import, Jason Byrne from Clara.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Thomastown would of given the Leinster senior champ a good rattle with the form they are showing in the Leinster Intermediate.

Thomastown must be the best intermediate champions we’ve had in Leinster in a long long time! Good win for O’Loughlins up in Tullamore todsy, Conor Heary man of the match again, he must be an option for the forwards with kk next year

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Makes you wonder why Heary was played in the backs this year and Timmy Clifford in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

I'd say Heary was played in the backs because he is a back. O'Loughlins have pushed himself and Paddy Butler up in to the forwards in the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/big-boost-for-kilkenny-as-veteran-attacker-walter-walsh-commits-to-derek-lyngs-cats-for-2024/a1070491100.html

Big boost for Kilkenny as veteran attacker Walter Walsh commits to Derek Lyng’s Cats for 2024

This should go down well with some lads

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Buckley and Forgarty to follow suit. Don't understand what benefit these players will bring and if someone says experience so help me god

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Were you devastated when Buckley scored that winning goal in Leinster Final, or when Wally came on and scored 1-2 or 1-3 that day also?? Likewise with Fogarty's block in the Semi Final to deny a certain goal.

They have produced big moments over the past year whatever you may think, it's lazy analysis what you say there "Don't understand What Benefit these Players will bring".

We are the 2nd best team in the country in my opinion on merit, but you wouldn't think it with all the trash that is talked on here.

Post edited by kentu on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Agree fully, will these lads not do what Padraig Walsh did, go back and lead the club for a few years. They have been poor the last 7/8 years. They are way over the hill for intercounty hurling. Walter Walsh might be better off as an impact sub and I can see the reasoning for his staying but the other are just filling 2 spaces for younger lads who could be gaining valuable experience, conditioning etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Exactly. I would also add that the experience of.a young lad watching how the older lads train and seeing what is required of them and indeed marking them in training has to help bring them on..we don't have many All Ireland winners left on the panel and that experience is in my opinion invaluable

It's not the responsibility of the players to walk away if they still want to participate. The notion that they should just pack in something they obviously enjoy doing because of the opinions of random people is ridiculous. If Lyng says lads that's it then by all means they should walk away but he clearly hasn't said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Precisely.

As for taking the place of younger lads - there was over forty on the panel throughout last year and it looks like we'll have something similar this year.

In addition, the under 20 panel will have at least thirty players. We hardly have more than seventy players of county standard in Kilkenny!

Some poster(s) needs to get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lob it in

OLG haven't conceded a goal in over 5 hours of hurling...mad stuff...

• Advertisement

Waterford vote to keep minor at U17

Advertisement