Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Munster Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭phog

We'd a bit of an experimental side out there, took our chances in the first quarter and then gifted Leinster a try. Not to mention Coombes' stupid penalty. No team, bar LAR can gift points like that to Leinster and expect to win

We ended that game with Gleeson and Butler on the field and held them out from getting a BP win, again, something not many teams will manage.

Edited to add.

Omitted the other academy player, Shay McCarthy .

Post edited by phog on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I hope to god thats the end of the 6-2 bench with Frawley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Excellent point. Noticed that and it wasn't exactly tag!

• Poor performance from Leinster IMO. I thought the quality of the game was poor. It was high intensity but poor quality, with a distinct lack of ambition by both sides at key times, resorting to hoisting box kicks in attacking areas.

Munster probably the more ambitious side of the two I felt.

I felt a lot of big name players looked off it and flat tonight for Leinster - Ringrose, JOB, Henshaw, JVDF, Doris (until a big last 10 mins).

Conan and McCarthy were the dominant forwards on the field.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

McCarthy was still steaming into contact well into the final 10 minutes of the game. He's a serious athlete. Was my MotM.

Also notable that he was used as a lineout option a good few times. We've big used him that often. If he can add a solid jumping game to his skillset he'll be starting for Ireland soon.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I feel like you don't rate him highly enough Clegg

• Well I guess that’s subjective.

I don’t personally enjoy error strewn games with both teams kicking the leather off it and only a handful of moments of quality, but whatever you like yourself is obviously your prerogative.

I quite like an edgy, close game as opposed to a whitewash inter-pro.

Yes l. Error strewn, but entertaining.

In the future we can programme AI to have the perfect match for you.

Guess the score...0:0. Can't wait.

It seems more and more fans want robotic rugby.

• Advertisement

I like you. I want to listen to intergalactic by the beastie boys now.

Doing my robotic moves soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Agreed thought he was excellent. He seems to improve the longer a game goes on and has the engine to continue making big impacts on either side of the ball when others are starting to tire. Couple of big carries towards the end. Best lock of the pitch for me tonight.

Beirne just behind him. Another player with a huge engine and still making turnovers on his own line in the 80th minute. Such a threat whenever there’s a breakdown, attacking players always have to be wary of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mun1

Conan was the difference in contact, archer was the difference in the scrum, one positive, one negative. Aherne has a very good game. JPG showed good pace for his try. Casey was poor with his box kicks , Coombes was anonymous and looks like a tired player, ryan was quiet. Mccarthy was busy but some of his judo throws need to be watched . Daly will be dissappointed with the missed tackle, Lamar was always going to step off his right. Furlong looked fcuked from the kickoff.

Munster need a 3 that can hold a scrum, not sure if Jäger is the answer.. Leinster wil be glad to get guys up to speed but their back line shape looked a bit fragile in the second half.

bigger tests ahead for both sides, but Munster will feel slightly better as their attacking shape looked a step ahead of Leinster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: We're not going to use a game from 6 months ago to hammer Frank Murphy again. Talk about 2nite's game and move on.

• No, more and more fans want to watch good quality rugby.

I don’t want to watch teams kick it nearly 80 times in a game in effectively perfect conditions.

I don’t want to see teams kicking box kicks from attacking positions in the opposition half.

This is supposed to be a high quality game stuffed with internationals, not some dour Leinster Towns Cup game played on a quagmire pitch.

Tense and edgy on the scoreboard does not make it a good quality game.

• The caterpillar ruck is an absolute scourge on the game and should be outlawed.

Both sides guilty of it tonight.

Ref saying "play it" another 30 players join the ruck, 30 seconds later you get a kick or an offside.

Pain in the left one.

Cracking game of rugby to be fair. Some thoughts on that:

• In some sense, I think both sides will be happy enough, but also kinda disappointed.
    • Outstanding try to start the game from Munster. As good a try as you'll see all season.
    • As error strewn (a first half in particular) as I've seen from Leinster in a fair while. Handling in particular was way off.
    • Beirne had a generally excellent game, but the decision for the offload, it just wasn't on. Particularly when you factor in we were down to 14.
    • Thought Frisch and Hodnett had better games than their opposite numbers. When that's Ringrose and VdF respectively, you know you've put in an excellent shift.
    • As poor a game as I've ever seen from both Coombes and JOB tho.
    • Crowley excellent again. I think he's the obvious choice for the starting Ireland 10 jersey come the 6 Nations. Some brilliant handling and late decision making, carries, the conversion and even a jackal in there as well. Quality.
    • Thought Zebo was absolutely excellent as well, though I'd pin more of the blame for Larmour's try on him than Daly, felt Larmour was always likely to step back inside.
    • Munster kicked for touch more than I anticipated. It seemed like it was with a view for Ahern to target the lineout. He got close once or twice for the steal, but was absolutely safe as houses on our own ball. Did brilliantly to wrap up VdF as well. Solid game from him.
    • Overall happy enough tho. Closer game than I anticipated. (Ironcically think Munster are often better off attacking from deeper than from inside the 22).

I don’t want to see teams kicking box kicks from attacking positions in the opposition half.

This is supposed to be a high quality game stuffed with internationals...

You think there's no box kicks in internationals??

• Is that what I said there?

I specifically said I hate seeing teams kicking box kicks from attacking positions in the opposition half. That’s a fairly basic concept to grasp from my words there.

• Advertisement

There was a heavy suggestion that, because it was a team stuff with internationals, we shouldn't see the box-kicks you're talking about. But it happens all the time at international level.

• No, you’ll actually notice it was a separate point, hence why it was in a new paragraph.

Out of interest, it seemed like Ringose was the inital on-field captain, but Ryan assumed those duties after he conceded the 10m for speaking to the ref? Anyone know?

Definitely looked like that, he actually told Ryan that the captain should speak to him then later called Ryan as the captain when he was scolding JGP for throwing away the ball on a Munster penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

watched it on a bit of delay.

Munster should have won that. I thought Crowley was absolutely fantastic. Love his toughness, his demeanour, his passing is so well timed. I really think he is the guy.

Also, thought Ahern looked extremely interesting at 6. Frawley looked quite good. Sheehan and Porter immense as always. Doris and Conan good too.

The gap has never looked smaller between these teams to the point where an absolute first choice munster team has a chance i think if they get good injury luck at the end of the season.

If they could get some more power in that front row…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Hmm, Leinster with a 1.8 pass per carry and Munster over 1.7 leads me to believe you're talking out of your hoop :D

• I thought before the game that Munster’s pack looked okay on paper, but backline looked weak, but the backs were superb and created a lot of space and opportunities.

One of the better games I’ve seen from Rory Scannell, and Frisch was good after a so-so start to the season.

The Leinster forwards had too much for them though. Archer was bellyflopping on almost every scrum and was blessed not to be penalised more. McCarthy was immense for Leinster; ferocious carrying, big hits, was good in the lineout too. For me he completely outshone the relatively anonymous Kleyn.

Beirne and Ahern very good for Munster. Hodnett had a massive turnover at a key time.

One of the poorest games I’ve ever seen from Gavin Coombes. He got smashed backwards multiple times, didn’t impact the game defensively and also seemed to be bringing lots of pointless aggro too, at a few moments, especially his bizarre grabbing JVDF by the collar while on the ground after around 55 mins.

Jack Conan was deservedly MotM. Superb performance.

Leinster backs were abysmal. Frawley tried hard but struggled to bring shape and kicked poorly from hand. Both centres were abject. JOB very poor, and Keenan made more mistakes than he typically would.

Happy to see Larmour finish his try well, but his pass to JoB in a good position in the first half (simultaneously too high and quite a bit behind him) was awful.

• Even assuming your numbers are right, and I’m pretty sure they’re not, what exactly do you think that great stat is telling us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I would guess just from watching that leinster kicked less than normal tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster were scoreless for 60 minutes. Still not convinced by their attacking player this season. Leinster contained them quite well when if mattered. Conceded line breaks further out, but put the hammer down the closer they got to the line and smashed them backwards.

Advertisement