Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭suvigirl

And they were welcomed with open arms..........

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Then turned on the people who welcomed them ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭Be right back

Finally...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Great to see Emily Hand released.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I just bawled my eyes out when I read it.

Thank God.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

The next few months will tell a lot, but if you take ISIS for example (and Hamas is pretty much the same. They share the same brutal version of Islam) they were militarily defeated in Syria, yet they live on in Africa and Afghanistan. I think that the ideology will live on, in one guise or another, and the fight against them will continue. Non-military means will not defeat Hamas, no more than it defeated ISIS. Whatever hope there is, and peaceful means is the key here, as you say, for ordinary Palestinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I fully expecting to hear bad news, so to hear she's now safely back in Israel is fantastic and uplifting stuff.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

So much could go wrong during any of the hostage swops.

It's very hard to get hopes up.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's fantastic - even after hearing the news about her last week, I was fearful she might be dead anyway and it was just false hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Finally some good news after a pretty **** week.

And vindication for the diplomatic efforts of the DFA and Michéal Martin. Shows up the performative posturing of SF, PBP et al for the nonsense that it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I was just waiting for the official word only then did I know it was true and she would be home with her family .Really delighted for her and her family .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

ISIS consider Hamas apostate, so no, not the same.

Yes, they did in both Germany and Japan, yet it failed in Afghanistan despite spending 20 years and billions (or was it trillions) of dollars? ) The main difference why it worked in Japan and Germany, but not in Afghanistan is that both Japan and Germany were society's that followed a central leadership, and what was decided at the very top, was accepted and acted upon by all of society. (Hitler in Germany, and the Emperor in Japan) Afghanistan was the complete opposite. Faced with a common enemy, Russia, they coordinated, but that was it. When it came to forming an independent state of Afghanistan, which the US had being preparing them for, it all collapsed at the first fence, and they reverted to their traditional Afghan ways. Different regions were ruled by the local warlords. But the minute the Taliban crossed the border back into Afghanistan, and Karzai fled, then it all fell apart into the fragmented Afghanistan that the Taliban were able to control. And this is what we have today. There is no central leadership in Islam, which can say do this or do that. It's all based on the Quran, and the various interpretations of it that decide which path to take, and thats that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

First photo of Emily reunited with her dad :

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, Non military means may not defeat the Hamas ideology but it could certainly weaken it by making it less appealing for Palestinians to embrace it if there is the real prospect of a better life turning away from militancy

And the Wahhabi's consider everyone who is not a Wahhabi, as not being a true Muslim. You can take all of the different version's, each claiming to be the true followers of Islam, and that goes for each and every version that you can name. What makes any version different from other version's is the "brand" of Islam they follow. Some are peaceful, others are not. But the one thing ISIS and Hamas have in common is their sheer brutality and dedication to the destruction of anyone they consider enemies of Islam. Hamas are no different from the ISIS that paraded their prisoners, dressed in orange jump suits, before they beheaded them all in public, and in one case, they burned a Jordanian pilot alive in a cage. Hamas left the very same murderous message on the 7th. No different, except ISIS not wanting to hand over the mantle of being the "True" followers of Islam, hence ISIS considers Hamas as being apostates. They consider all Muslims as apostates, unless of course, they are ISIS. At heart, they are the very same murderous radical Islams that are fighting for the return of the caliphate. Just trying to outdo each other to become the "Best" followers of Allah. Their actions speak louder than words, and there's no difference between any Radical Muslims despite what they claim.

Post edited by jmreire on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Well Michael Martin has shown himself to be a cut above his FG co consul as well as the screechy bluffers in opposition. Not sure how much influence Irish diplomats had in this, but as minister for foreign affairs was fair and diplomatic in his dealing with both sides on his recent trip to the middle east.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

Yes, that's true. Quite a large nr of Muslims join radical groups because they are paid to do so, it's the only employment in the area they live in. Same goes for Palestinian's living in Gaza, massive unemployment and then along comes Hamas, money no object, jobs for the followers, which is a pretty easy sell, to fight against the hated enemy, Israel. Same thing the present day in Afghanistan. But yet, not every Muslim is happy to follow these radicals. Much anti-Hamas sentiment is suppressed violently within Gaza, same as anti-Taliban sentiment is suppressed in Afghanistan (and in the North of Afghanistan, there's still plenty of that.) So yes, if an alternative live could be provided, then I could see many Muslims following it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A number of people have died in attacks by Israel during the ceasefire.

I always think these deaths must hurt particularly strongly for their families given they happened spring a time when both sides had promised not to attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

Norman Finkelstein came across very well on the Piers Morgan show the other night. I believe he is regarded as the pre eminent expert on Gaza. Their will be no peace while Netanyahu is in power. If Israel resumes it's genocide after the release of hostages then it's international goodwill will continue to evaporate.

Prosperity for Palestinians is the only way to 'defeat' Hamas. Hamas can thrive because Palestinians are so oppressed. The greater the mass killings of Palestinians the greater the support for Hamas. It's a bit rich for Netanyahu to want to destroy Hamas considering Israel encouraged and financed Hamas in the early years as a counter measure to the PLO and to try and split the Palestinian people and encourage a form of civil war.

Finkelstein made an interesting point re the October 7th attacks. If people break out of a concentration camp where they have been interned for 20 years is it any wonder they lash out at their oppressor. If you treat people like animals is it any wonder if they act like animals. For the record I would condemn the October 7th attacks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Thank god the hostage transfers have gone off so smoothly so far, I was quite worried early when there was a delay

There were 13 arrests out of 300k people at London March today. A march that was observed by a massive police presence.

6 for failure to disperse.

So that's 7 for what was said to be harmful messaging of some sort.

That's 0.002%.

So even if the police only arrested 1 out of 10 displaying harmful messaging (no suggestion that this was the case), it would still mean that 99.98% of the marches had a peaceful message.

Do you think a group should be defined by the actions of 0.02% of its members (or probably closer to 0.002% to be more accurate)?

A boy was shot by IDF soldiers while waiting for his relative to be released.

Supposedly they then **** at anyone who tried to come to his aid.

Horrible stuff if this story is true, I saw it on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The IDF are really cruel and really see Palestinians as below them. There's a hatred there that's just so inhuman. And yes Hamas are worse, doesn't make the IDF right or good. Just because you're not as evil, doesn't mean you're not evil.

Despite what Ukraine has been though they still don't show that much evil and hatred to Russian soldiers, let alone Russian civilians.

From tonight in Jerusalem.

I suppose these people are antisemites as well in the minds of some posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not sure what this is supposed to show, or discredit.

Like any other country in the world, Israel is not a hive mind. Of course people will strongly disagree with what's happening, and have done since day one, no different to Palestinians that are anti-Hamas.

We also saw similar, large-scale protests in Russia at the start of the Ukraine war, but to this day polls show the majority remain in favor or support the war.

Not all Israelis support what's happening. Not all Palestinians support what happened on October 7th. Not all Russian's support the ongoing war in Ukraine.

I don't think anyone ever suggested or thought otherwise.

• Advertisement

Not sure what this is supposed to show, or discredit.

It's supposed to show people protesting outside the residence of the PM of Israel, as it says it does.

Advertisement