Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm very impressed by Leinsters defence in their 22. It's notable that we've become more physical in the tackle and even more effective at slowing ball down. That's been a shift in our style, I think. Against Edinburgh, Scarlets and now Munster they've really gone up a gear as the opposition encroach into the 22.

I don't know if that's a bit of work suggested by Nienaber or something the incumbent coaches have spotted as an area to target. Bug it has definitely paid dividends. Leinster look so well organised and dominant defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

It’s at this stage you start to worry whether our inaccuracies with the ball are due to the loss of Lancaster on the training ground or just the players slowly integrating back in. It was similar last week. Be good to get Nienaber ASAP. Might give the players a bit more focus as they’ll need to prove themselves to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I like that word. Haven't heard it or used it in ages.👌

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Frawley did well but simultaneously he's not a 10 and I hope that's the end of this 6-2 nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

What elements of his game do you feel are lacking that would keep him from playing 10? Bar his kicking from hand, I thought he played as well as Crowley did. Not advocating for him to be 10, just curious on what's informing your opinion.

• Advertisement

I think we lose shape with him there. I don't think his option taking is where it needs to be - he carries well to the line but I don't think he knows when to release it vs carry it.

For all the talk of Sexton "just shoving the ball along" in the QF, I think dictating where the ball goes from the 10 position is a massive role and one that Frawley doesn't do particularly well. Prendergast can be a bit static when he passes which allows the defence to come up more, but I think he chooses where to send the ball better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

True, but...he has something about him. Definitely not a plus being a utility player.

I'd stick him at 10 for a few more games.

The 6-2 split was a stupid risk before kick off, and back fired immediately when we lost a back after 7 or 8 minutes.

I have no idea whatsoever why you name a guy like Culhane on the bench here, and then bring him on at 80 mins. We could have either used the energy he could have brought earlier, or we could have just had a back on the bench instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I agree with you on the stupidity on a 6-2 split but it didn't backfire as we won!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

If Leinster do end up being in the market for a second rower trying to sign Thomas Ahern while perhaps unlikely to be successful would be worth investigating. Really good player.

I thought Leinster's poor attack was the story of the game. Yes, three tries, but none of them really showed excellent attacking phase play. JGP's was a smart bit of play coming out of defence. Sheehan's was clever timing and good footwork breaking from a maul. And Larmour's was a good finish from a bounce pass but with a poor tackle attempt by Zebo. They need to have better shape in attack overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Thought Leinster were poor. Very sloppy. JOB had a mare, imo. Really bad day for him. Frawley did well. Henshaw was non existent.

I reckon they need to go all out again next week. They're just not clicking.

Fair play to Munster. They played very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Personally i think there is nothing wrong with a 6 2 split. Having frawley on the bench means a lot of positions are covered. Obviously the plans changed when byrne went down in the first 10 mins. But that's just the gamble you take.

I thought Frawley player well and kicked great.

Jgp waas poor again. Kicks to nowhere. Gave away silly penos and was warned for a yellow for stupidly not giving the ball back.

Ringrose wasn't great tonight either..

Culhane and Penny were on the bench. But Doris and Conan were both in line for man of the march who do you take off when playing that well?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's a shame that TOB got an injury, streets ahead of our other wingers so far this season.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

6/2 bench is worthless if you leave the 6th forward on his arse collecting splinters till the 78th minute

On the re watch. JOB plays worse! If that's possible.

Yep! Although Jordan has been good the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭clsmooth

The back 3 lacked accuracy all game. All 3 threw poor passes (forward passes forced by JOB and Keenan and a right to left pass hitting JOBs back shoulder from Larmour).

JOB had a game where pretty much nothing went his way. Keenan was poor for his high standards after being superb last week. Larmour was the pick of them and took his try well. Hopefully he can continue to get an injury free run and build up his confidence.

We miss Lowes physicality when he’s not there as it’s not a particularly physical back 3. TOB is again hugely unfortunate with his injury. He brings more aggression than the other 3. Again not always about size, but a physical edge.

I think Osborne has to start at 12 when Lowe is out for the kicking option. JOB doesn’t have the same monster boot that the other two have. He’s also ahead of Henshaw on form. Might be seeing Henshaw at 13 a bit more this season as he’s a distance behind Osborne and Ngatai (another with a big boot) for me currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redmca2

I have seen Ringrose shooting up in defence in the last 2 matches and miss his target maybe 6 times . . . . . His halo is beginning to slip

I just watched the full Edinburgh match. HB outshone Healy, imo. I was a little disappointed in Healy. He looked good in parts of the match and then he kind of looks lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I've been pointing that out for a while on here, I threw up his missed tackle stats for Ireland for last 12 months recently but some don't seem to want to believe it/agree, their point being that his misses aren't costly etc.... each to their own... but for me he misses a lot of tackles and Munster made hay down his channel on several occasions last night. He did make a couple of cracking reads when covering out also to be fair to him

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Last night was the first time I can recall a ringrose shoot n miss being directly the cause of a try. It's probably happened before but I can't recall something as clearly obvious.

Watching it back I can't really fault the forwards. I think the backline being so sloppy gave Munster an in. Munster were defensively good, but I'm speaking about the uncharacteristic passes behind players, the pass to touch etc. It seemed that the backline was at odds with each other. Keenan with errors, JOB with his worst performance that I've seen and the missed tackles.

I think the pack was good. They were all a 7/10 for me. As the game went on Ryan and Doris stepped up. VDF while not brilliant was quite good. Busby was poor reffing the scrum. Porter was all over Archer. Way to many re sets for Archers infringements.

I would say that Gibson Park played better than he has in a while. I thought his world cup was average.

His misses for Ireland aren't costly and are clearly part of the defensive plan to disrupt the other team. It is often incredibly effective and his missed tackle stats are irrelevant in that context.

He just didn't do it very well last night. His stats might look similar but his performance was far worse as he was shooting out at the wrong time and not disrupting the Munster attack at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

In Nienebar’s system… would ringrose fit better on a wing? Slide Osborne into 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

I'd say so, probably more likely to go with Osborne 12, Henshaw 13, Ringrose wing though. I don't think Farrell would be happy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yea the actual politics of doing that make it a tough call, but i’d like to see it in just one game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Think we all need cool it a bit on Ringrose. He has started the season poorly, but he's just coming off his best season ever performance wise. He's the best 13 in Europe and was named best in the world for his position recently. Lets reel in the hyperbole.

Post edited by Clegg on

Henshaw is a downgrade at 13. He's 3rd choice at best.

Who would you lads choose in a final, Porter, Jack Mc when he was healthy or. Healy in his prime? For me it's Healy. Jack then Porter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

Ringrose is one of the best outside centres in the world, so why on earth would anyone move him to the wing?

Advertisement