Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Tell us what you meant when you implied/suggested/or whatever it is you were trying to do when you said that these people were not opposed to the war.

Because no one can simultaneously in support of the war and to also say that they don't condone the bombing of children, given what we have seen.

We're starting to see quite a bit of revisionism or distancing of people from the outcome of Israel's actions. Which is understandable given how disproportionate and awful they have been, but that doesn't mean people can claim ignorance as to what has been happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It'd upset Hamas and their cheerleaders if Leo was actually honest so its kid gloves time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Oh , sweet Jesus.

She was kidnapped, not lost.

All he had to do was replace the word lost with kidnapped or he could have chosen to say "she has been reunited with her family" or to say nothing at all.He deliberately used the word "lost" in order to pander to Hamas's cheerleaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

Oh sweet jesus yourself. welcome to your language lesson on Sunday.

people are drowned at sea, shot, blown up with bombs at war, suffocated with Covid , starved during famine and we call all of them lost.

We don’t describe beyond that because it encourages facile pedantry.

(Which it seems is still possible when people are this immature)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's called putting yourself in someone else shoes. I am sure plenty of people( especially mothers with young children) were upset when the children were stabbed in Dublin, even though it doesn't directly affect their life. Grow up Hoboo.

• Advertisement

No disrespect but you're talking complete nonsense.

The Taoiseach clearly deliberately chose to use the word "lost" rather than "Kidnapped" , she was never lost , nobody sensible would describe what had happened to her as being "lost", I mean she didn't go for a walk in the woods and forget how to find her way home. So he sat down put some thought into his tweet and decided that in order to pander to supporters of Hamas he would describe her as lost and not accurately describe her as being kidnapped.

Nobody described Ashling Murphy as having died they describe her as having been killed/murdered which is how to accurately describe what happened to her.

It is not pedantry to expect the Taoiseach to be able to say someone was kidnapped when they were kidnapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

What % of Muslims would you say are preaching hate and kill the unbelievers? And your figure of 2% is based on a highly policed event. Had it not been policed; do you think that the protest would have been as it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well thats a pretty useless lesson, but hey Sunday school what do you expect? Still a bold strategy to use examples that discredit your own claim.

Maybe you didn't notice, although I don't know how you missed it, but all you examples revolved around death. Its certainly common to refer to people who died as having lost their life, hence why the word lost can be used to refer to deceased.

Now great news for you to just learn is that Emily didn't die so using "lost" in the context you are trying to claim is nonsensical unless the person using it isn't a native speaker and just making a genuine contextual error.

So using lost in this way does suggest Emily took a wrong turn walking around and stumbled into Hamas captivity of her own accord. The correct word would be kidnapped in Emily's case. Yet given Hamas didn't just focus on kids you could say "abducted" or an even more neutral version of that again by just saying "taken".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What's the up to date kill ratio for Israel? 10:1 Palestinian / Israel? What's their target I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Not alone was Varadkar's message not in the least bit offensive or badly taken, the pile on against him, led by that vile propagandist Eylon Levy, was shameful and a demonstration of how stupidity and idiotic racism is triumphing seemingly everywhere in our world now.

Levy and the Israeli government hate Ireland and it is now clear they will do anything to try and create chaos within our own politics - shameless Israeli propagandist Hananya Naftali openly lied that the riots on Thursday night in Dublin were caused by immigrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Floppybits

A bit of a kick in the teeth to the government with the Israelis calling in the Irish ambassador for a dressing down over varadkars idiotic tweet when the government her have bent over backwards to support the IsraelI ambassador.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭pureza

Hamas are maniacs who would hang you for being gay or sleeping with a separated person

Despite that reality,Palestine's last election made them the government which basically gave them legitimacy to lob dozens of rockets into Israel as often as they liked

Spiral created for Israel to continue the retribution

I know we all have a desire for peace and an empathy for the state of the Palestinians after nearly 2 months of this but do the 'gays for Palestine ' you see marching not realise that most of the people they're supporting would have them hanged ?

It's odd

I don't care about Eylon Levy, I don't even know who he or she is, I just saw the message on Varadkars twitter and thought it was idiotic. It was pretty disgraceful language to use to try and underplay a child being kidnapped.

She wasn't lost, simple as that and the Taoiseach deliberately underplaying what happened to her in order to pander to people who hate Israel is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The numbers arrested at the march yesterday were 0.002% of all who attended, not the 2% you said I referred to, even it was only 1 in 10 of those who were attending and misbehaving, its still only .02% meaning 99.998% of those who attended were well intentioned.

What % of Muslims are preaching hate and kill the unbelievers? What a crazy question, like would you really expect me to have mulled over such a figure?

But lets say that all of Hamas, all of ISIS, all of the Taliban, all of Boko Haram every single one of their members preach hate and want to kill unbelievers (there is likely not the case given many people on this thread have said that lots of their members join them simply to have jobs). But if this was the case, then the figure would probably be around 200,000 devout, radical islamists. (By the way, I've over inflated the numbers of each group above what is stated for them on a quick google search)

That would equate to 0.01% of the all the muslims in the world, or to put it another way, 1 in 10,000. Do you think any group should be defined by the actions of 0.01% of its members meaning the 99.99% are irrelevant? (For the record, I expect the true number of absolutely devout radical islamists is less than suggested here.

I think if it was known in advance that the protest was not going to have a high police presence, there'd have been more right wing extremists there than radical islamists. (You should run the numbers on arrests vs attendees at the right wing march to the cenotaph recently for comparison, let me know what you come up with)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Its a bit like saying Palestinians were killed instead of murdered. Like when you drop a bomb on a school or refugee camp and blow people to bits it is murder surely because that was the intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Its like saying Hamas killed people when they brutally murdered them.

Israel is an openly hostile state towards Ireland now. They've mounted an extensive online propaganda campaign against us. They've claimed that immigrants in Ireland were to blame for the Dublin riots when it was the far right. They openly lied about what happened. It's a statement of the bleedin' obvious they're trying to use their influence to hobble the Irish tech sector and thus our economy - and I'm not talking about Paddy Cosgrave here, who I have feck all sympathy for. I'm talking about the stuff our economy depends on. Israel is now a chaos agent towards Ireland in the same way Russia is a chaos agent towards the US.

I don't care about your deliberate and mendacious misinterpretation of Leo Varadkar's tweet, except to say that you've chosen to be suckered by a racist propaganda campaign against this country.

Israel now is a fascist state. It has a fascist government. It does not care one little bit about anti-Semitism. That's why it's pushing far right propaganda internationally, including against Ireland. That's why it refused to call out Elon Musk's rabid anti-Semitism and is instead allying with him.

Israel is now openly embracing Holocaust denial as part of its propaganda. The official Israeli line, echoed by fascist propagandists like Douglas Murray, is that the Nazis weren't really that bad after all.

I'm no fan of Varadkar or Fine Gael. I know a racist propaganda campaign when I see one, and I know bullshit when I see it. The targeting of Varadkar by Israel is racist propaganda bullshit. They should hang their heads in shame, but they have no shame. They should not be surprised that the Irish population are deeply hostile to Israel and will only get more so. We have damn good reason to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Ireland flies the Palestinian flag. Why wouldn't Israel be hostile to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

It was a typically stupid, ill-thought out comment from Varadkar. But the reaction by the Israelis is hysterically over the top.

I doubt Varadkar was trying to suggest somehow that Hand hadn’t been kidnapped by Hamas. I imagine he thought he was being poetic in some vacuous, social-media way. Given it was sent late on a Saturday night it is also not inconceivable that he was not wholly sober. Unfortunately its symptomatic of his tendency to put his foot in his mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Shameful, mealy-mouthed, and pathetic comments.

Varadkar is the most plastic, choreographed, least sincere, and staged-managed leader we have ever known. He is the reason why I ended my 30+ year membership of the Fine Gael parliamentary party last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Israel is now hostile to democracy and it is hostile towards accurate history.

It has embraced fascism.

It has embraced Holocaust denial.

Israel's modus operandi is that a well taken, heartfelt tweet by an Irish Taoiseach is mendaciously twisted into an attack on Israel, while the Holocaust denial of Douglas Murray becomes official Israeli narrative.

Elon Musk is in on this too. He seems to tweet about little else but Ireland at the moment, despite being demonstrably ignorant about Ireland. He is a hostile actor towards us. He's a rabid anti-Semite. Israel has no problem with him.

This is the sort of bizarro world we are in now. None of it makes sense, and it is designed not to make sense. It's designed to create chaos and to keep the enemies of fascism constantly on the back foot.

If he’s choreographed he really needs to find a better choreographer.

Israel is like the rest of us : Not fan of Varadkar

Israel was attacked. It's not like Ireland, it doesn't back down

Hamas terrorists will be eradicated

This Eylon Levy guy seems like a tool. I think there’s some displacement activity going on here as well - the Israeli government is embarrassed that it has had to rely on the US, Qatari and Egyptian governments to help get some of the hostages released so is now trying to use Varadkar’s stupid tweet to create a distraction.

Eylon Levy is utterly pathetic and the fact you quote him says everything about you. He's straight out of the school of far right Trumpist propaganda.

Israel is committing a genocide.

Israel has learned its fascist propaganda from the apex exponents of the genre.

I have fully supported the government’s decision to maintain diplomatic ties with Israel but if their government continues to use the tweet as an attempt to whip up hatred against us, we need to summon the Israeli ambassador to tell them to back down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Trump , fascist, genocide etc

This is the same old irrational sensationalism non argument seen from the most partisan twitter accounts.

Cast your mind back to October 7th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I haven't seen anyone post the whole quite from Varadkar. It's clear he sees her as a hostage that has been freed. He uses those exact words. But you know...agendas

"An innocent child who was lost has now been found and returned, and our country breathes a massive sigh of relief. Our prayers have been answered," he said.

"When I met Tom and Natali in Dublin, their pain was etched on their faces, but so was their courage and determination to ensure that Emily would be freed. I shared their grief and was inspired by their example. Irish people everywhere share in the relief of Emily's family," Mr Varadkar said in a statement.

"Emily now returns to her family, but we cannot forget that many more hostages remain in captivity in Gaza. Their fate is unknown, but we hope that like Emily, they will also be allowed to return to their homes and their families.

"We think of all the families suffering in this troubled region, and we redouble our efforts to work for a permanent ceasefire, and for a just a lasting peace," the Taoiseach said.

Advertisement