Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭Odhinn

From Save The Children -

• During arrest, 42% of children suffered

injuries, including gunshot wounds

and broken bones. A range of other

injuries were reported, from shoulder

dislocation, to bruising, to suffocation.

65% of children were arrested during

the night, mostly between midnight and

dawn.

• The majority of children experienced

appalling levels of physical and emotional

abuse, including being beaten (86%),

being threatened with harm (70%), and

hit with sticks or guns (60%).

• Some children reported sexual violence

and abuse, including being hit or touched

on the genitals and 69% reported being

strip searched during interrogation.

60% of children experienced solitary

confinement with the length of time

varying from one day to as long as 48

days.

The "most moral army" at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,809 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

'Nothing and no one will change them'

Do you think Nelson Mandela was a terrorist? He was branded as such and jailed for 27 years for attempting to overthrow a government, which was ultimately seen to have been exercising apartheid.

If you were writing this post 40 years ago, do you think you would have said that your views were such and that 'Nothing and no one will change them'?

AndonceagaineventhoughIshouldn'thavetorepeatthistimeandtimeagain: The attacks on Jan 7th were terrorism and there is no excuse for them, and all involved should be prosecuted or otherwise dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Leo has every right to speak as he wants. The reaction is absurd and a blatant attempt to deflect attention.

The Isreali FM has falsely accused (in an official capacity) our government of supporting terrorists. If anyone should be 'reprimanded' it is them, by us. Kick them tf out

• Registered Users Posts: 23,794 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Varadkar's tweet has nearly 30 million views on X. That's mad.

• Advertisement

This incident happened in Bernie Sanders home city.

Comes after the recent stabbing of a Palestinian 6 year old in Illinois.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Wouldn't be a Leo supporter but think the word lost is a phrase we use but the Israelis don't so I presume they think Leo is blaming them which wasn't the case .We often use the word lost when someone has died but don't mean it literally.

They know exactly what he meant. They just want to stoke up an argument because we haven't being sucking at their collective dick every time it's spoken about.

They are bad actors, and we should be wise to it. I too am no fan of Leo, but I'll defend to the death the right of our leaders to speak out against genocidal Israel and Hamas. Even if it annoys the zionist lunatics.

We have dismissed diplomats for lesser things. They have legit called our government and country terrorist supporters. That's not on.

Is Bernie Sanders linked to the crime? He condemned it. The police are persuing the matter. Everybody hopes the perpetrators are identified and prosecuted.

What point are you trying to make?

America, as with all other countries has sh1theads who commit hate crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭Acosta

Over 5,000 children dead in Gaza since October. If I were Varadkar, I wouldn't be losing any sleep over this guy

It baffles me how people can look at the videos of children being pulled from buildings, or literally shell shocked in hospitals or their dead bodies being cradled by their parents and think that that wouldn't motivate someone to try to respond against those who were the perpetrators of the acts that led to so many lives destroyed.

There was a video on Twitter from late last week where a man kissed the eyes of his granddaughter before she was wrapped in a shroud for burial and honestly, I cried when I watched it. I really did.

People will respond to my post saying Hamas are responsible for that girls death, I do not believe that is the case, Hamas are responsible for the crimes that they commit, Israel is responsible for its own crimes.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. Israel is fooling no one who is in any way objective if they want people to believe that these weeks are ultimately going to make Israel safer.

They are doing nothing of the sort,.

What point are you trying to make?

The point I am making is that in a city with a prominent Jewish Senator, 3 Palestinians have been shot.

If I was making any other point, I'd have written it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭brickster69

Speaking of South Africa, i think someone is upset at the kicking out the ambassador from the sound of things. Probably Spain and Belgium will be getting a mouthful soon enough.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

What was wrong about it?

Do you go around policing people who say "we've lost" a loved one to death?

Do you go around Irish funerals policing the use of the phrase "sorry for your loss" like a demented Alan Partridge? "Noooo you idiot, it's sorry for your death".

This is probably the dumbest, stupidest, most shameless attempt to drum up controversy for the sake of it that I've ever seen.

Anybody buying into it should have a right good look at themselves.

It's totally laughable.

Israel are seriously running out of ideas to distract from their genocide of the people of Gaza if this is the depths they have to sink to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I think Leo's comments were "lost in translation".

I think he meant "lost" and "found" metaphorically, not literally.

I don't see the problem in clarifying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,042 ✭✭✭suvigirl

We completely mean it literally, when someone died they have lost their life, we also have lost them permanently from our own life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

This unhinged rant just comes off as a new variant of "those evil Jews control the world"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Hundreds of Palastinian children have been lost and will never be found and The Israelies whinge about Leo’s words?

Deflection tactics at their finest

• Advertisement

You're really are running out of ideas, aren't you? I'm only listing off observable reality and the stuff the Israelis are coming out with themselves, which you haven't dealt with.

Meanwhile Israeli propagandists are becoming a laughing stock creating an absurd farce about a well made tweet by Leo Varadkar to try and distract from their genocide and actual Holocaust denial propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

The most charitable interpretation is that something was lost in translation. Otherwise they are being disingenuous and extremely cynical. Of course he wasn't suggesting the child was literally lost ffs.

And on this basis they are attacking the taoiseach and summoning our ambassador to be reprimanded? That is actually outrageous carry on.

They weren't lost in translation.

Israel is just trying to create an absurd farce, using the dumbest, most cynical lowest common denominator troll tactics.

They should be laughed at and that hateful weasel Eylon Levy and his likes should be told in no uncertain terms to fcuking do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Donald

Surely you can’t blame Israel for this?

The baying/cheering mob etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,961 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You were the one making a snide comment about a "judicial system".

The "judicial system" in the West Bank is the Israeli military. They take Palestinians from there and transfer them to Israel proper, where they might be processed by the Israeli judicial system, or they might be left to rot in a jail without access to it.

Israel occupies the West Bank militarily and controls it completely. Whatever happens there, happens on their watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

No, I think it more likely Israel and their apparatchiks are just dishonest and they choose to find offence because they are angry with the Irish govt. position on their bombing of Gaza. That is it.

They used to mostly ignore us, but I suppose this is a bit different to their other wars in recent times + more serious.

If Ireland said nothing at all, or supported their war, am sure there would not have been a peep about what Varadkar said on Xitter. So no point explaining (to them) really.

Well done Israel, the Irish far right are on your side.

I'd sooner die as an anti-semite, than live as a little parasite thriving on hatred from 80 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Good news about Emily btw is that she seems to be doing quite okay. Her father says she lost some weight during her ordeal, but there don't appear to be suggestions that she was ill treated at any point.

• Advertisement

Why do you need to create a strawman if that post was indeed an unhinged rant?

You could take any of the points that you feel made it so and just refute them.

Just declaring it a rant and implying something was hinted at, when it wasn't comes across as using accusations of antisemitism to shut down valid concerns about Israels behaviour.

Advertisement