Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I’d say thick enough skinned and wouldn’t bother him too much …..if these guys put themselves out there as pillar farmers and up for gongs it’s all part of it …some will think great lad …some think full of shite…..some will poke holes and question it …..what about it …..personal criticisim is wrong tho and shouldn’t come into it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,727 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

No doubt that is a big issue and the industrial spruce forestry sector has alot of blood on its hands in terms of damage done to much of our rivers, uplands and biodiversity in general. Again DAFM does not inspire confidence in policing this area https://www.farmersjournal.ie/news/news/department-underestimated-carbon-emissions-from-peatland-plantations-794112

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Looks like a good ambassador, well spoken, young and enthusiastic. Most would be happy with a lad/lass to take over the reins like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭older by the day

You are taking me wrong. I said he looks like a mighty man. I don't know a bit about the fellow. And teagasc are putting him out there as a role model.

We have to question his method of farming, unless you're a sheep

I'm farming here rent free. I do every job on the farm except cut the silage and I'm not a making massive money.

I'm asking is there more to the story, because at his cost per litre I can't see how a normal homosapien like myself could make a profit.

Another thing is that, is it wise spending money on the basis of what uncles will let you. Many a man got a bad land thru high expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I don't think you'll do your machinery work cheaper than a contractor , I wouldn't agree with you saying that he was using the dearest way possible.

Contractors will have better drivers, better machines and better maintenance than most farmers

• Advertisement

I’d be thinking along your lines there tegasc do this and flog the shite out of what they see as progressive farmers …throw out a shiny version of the story ….shiny cost of production minus a few bits of course and then your negative and a begrudger if you poke holes in it ….that’s a lot of what bugs the shite out of me with tegasc and farmers journal ….just like a big clique in there own bubble

they don’t like differing views or been called out on things or methods …there way (usually the kiwi way)is best …….we are largely where we are today with nitrates /dero /calves etc because of that model

Or farmers themselves could be telling lies..... and don't say it'd never happen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Are you grass measuring, have you high 6 week calving , are you feeding too much meal for ms produced ? All these are looked down on by a lot but they have a serious impact on profit.

ive friends share milking and they’re making v good money. Loyal to no one for purchases. Ruthless in that regard and you’d be amazed what can be saved. One of them got his dry cow tubes a euro a cow cheaper than me for v similar tubes.

I thought I was doing well but being loyal to me usual lad cost me. It adds up across the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I wasn't taking aim at you older, but to address your point, don't forget he is milking 270 cows and only recently took on a full time employee, so the contractor was his labour unit. And it looks like he has a good lifestyle, isn't it good to see someone showing that farming can be a good career choice rather than all the usual negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you put a system out there that is outside the normal are people not entitled to question the viability of the system.

@Jack98 on the question of the tractor where do you stop with a tractor. Any tractor of 100 HP will set you back 25-30k minimum before you add anything in the line of attachments. He has a small loader which may have a feeding attachment. But it probably a good idea to go with no machinery rather than virtually none

However he is stocked at 3cows to the HA at the lowest N rating he is hitting slightly over 250N/HA. Add in next year calves may have to stay longer on farm. I just wonder about the viability if he is forced to drop 10-20% of cows.

He seems to have a good business head but I am an agnostic on lads thinking you can have exactly the same life at dairying as at a 9-5 job.

The fulltime worker @35 hours a week must be costing 30-35k/ year which gives flexibility if he ever needed to shave costs. I wonder to justify the system dose he need the 270 cows and how would it working he had to drop back to 220.

As well I wonder about lease costs are they realistic to many other leases or is he being discounted as a relative

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

If the uncles are single, he's likely to have a reasonable rent, but if they have a family I'm sure they'd like the going rate to spend on their own families

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

i used to be like that wanting a contractor to do everything... but funny enuf after having a chat with the lads that spread our slurry with the umbilical system in spring i had a slight change of heart... buy a tractor and fair enuf it costs money to buy but its still there in 5-10yrs time and will be worth a ball of money once it has been looked after... once a contractor is paid the money is gone and when slurry builds up again get contractor in and again when paid money is gone... if youve a tractor and tank you have an asset worth something and spread some slurry with it... and when slurry is spread tractor and tank is there for the next time ya want it... but look everyones situation is different.. if your working off farm then obviously a contractor is a no-brainer... so each to their own...

There’s more than one way to skin a cat ….I’ve zero interest in financials of these guys at open days etc as there profit monitor based and can be manipulated to suit ….and exclude costs that should be included but aren’t

there’s deals to be got on everything up to you to fight for them ….loyalty is needed to likes of vet ,Ai man,contractor … urea is urea can is can …meal specs can have huge gaps and cheapest mix can cost you I never buy on price always energy and spec ….feed mill I’ve been with for years rarely beaten and excellent nutritional back up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

After listening to the tech talk podcast this evening around dairy day , all a lad could take from it is the job is f**ked to put it mildly, bulls***ting on about keeping our social licence to farm having to adapt etc, and trying to put it across that irish dairy is commanding a mark-up on world markets because of bord bia/origin green etc, dairygold head rambled on about irish products commanding a 3 cent premium on markets because of the above, its dillisusional, we are bargin basement commodity producers selling on price and that's it bar Kerrygold butter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

What's very good money these days. What's the hourly rate? Surely clearing 100k at least every year...

That's a bit like father Ted, where all the record singers and reps died in a plane crash.

The state and the fair deal scheme and other nephews and nieces and brothers and sisters might have something to say about a lad getting everything

Anything to do with machinery costs money. I do my own fertilizer spreading, bale drawing and feeding. But after that any more work costs serious investment and it's not just in the cost of the machinery but also in running costs and time. Slurry costs 1.6k and silage cutting, raking baling and wrapping cost about 3k. Hedge cutting about 800 and post driving 200/ year. The only one probably viable to take over myself is the hedge cutting.

Slava Ukrainii

3 Rents, farm bought, contract rearing, new buildings, staff. Contractors. I was just making the point that it would be a fairly high cost system. IL say no more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

made near enough as much money per cow as me last year and supplied 50 kgs less ms per cow. Runs a simpler system but has all his land around parlour which has a lot of advantages

buys 75% of his silage. Bought for less or same as what it costs me. Any silage he makes is for milking off.

doesn’t feed as much meal, 400 kgs less meal per cow cost nearly 25 kgs ms last year. Doesn’t get hung up on meal either. As long ads the price is right and it’s a half decent spec he’ll buy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

Well, good luck to them because I might need someone like them to take over my place some day.

Buying silage this year will hurt though. I'm selling about 200 bales and I'm going to ask 40 euro. Bought about 100 the last couple of years for 20 to 25 euro

Bale silage depends on quality. It is cost me about 31/ bale to make this year with no land rented. If it's good quality 75dmd and 30%+DM you are selling it as cost price

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭green daries

That would be my take on it but I've a bit heavy metal disease. ....😄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭green daries

It smacks of a kiwi setup In the late 90s early 00s that is the tagasc line on goings but sure he's happy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m assuming any posters here are commenting on Kevin Morgan’s system rather than him personally.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Biggest problem with contractors they cant be with everyone at same time

Of course. It's lovely to see a can do attitude in a fellow.

Just having a chat on his system.

It's not everyone's cup of tea.

Buying in 75 percent of silage. I would be gone home with stress before I would start.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 yewdairy

Try to run a simple system here, have a young family. Get the contractor to do everything here, bar fertiliser and light feld work and feeding out.

If you properly account for the costs of your own gear there is no saving doing it yourself. Also adds massively to workload

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Its not the price that wud worry me its the dung that was made seen lads making second cut silage id be afraid to feed it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

For me it doesn't matter really whether you're spring or all year round calving,high imput or grass based,do your own work or contractors,owned or leased,.everyone does whatever suits themselves. There is really only one equation that's important in milking

Margin by volume divided by hours worked. The guy that has the highest number for that is the best operator,end of

Advertisement